Jeff Taylor

View Jeff Taylor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Universal Travel Group: Things Are Not As Bad As They Seem [View article]
    stanmar -
    I would refer you to this press release by NYSE from December 23:
    Basically, they are still in the midst investigations. Don't ask what that means. Everybody who can talk about it knows nothing; everybody who knows something can't talk about it.

My best guess is that NYSE will not lift the trading halt until after the audited 10-K for FY2011 is released which, based on prior years, ought to be in March.
    Jan 9 01:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Covered Call Writing: Early Exercise Of Options [View article]
    Agreed - but with the two exceptions of when you want to hold the stock long enough for it to become a long term holding or if you want to collect an upcoming dividend. Though if either of these are a concern, perhaps you should have waited to sell the covered call.
    Jan 9 08:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IPad - Is It Overused? [View instapost]
    Thanks - the plane I first soloed in and, above and beyond, my favorite to fly.
    Jan 6 09:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IPad - Is It Overused? [View instapost]
    I absolutely agree with you that I am partly affected by my worries of just how long it can last. On one side, if you let that dominate your thinking you will miss out on spectacular growth opportunities. On the other hand, if you ignore such thinking it can lead you to hold stocks through spectacular losses. As I hope to have made clear, it is the process of debating the information that is most important and that will, in the long run, lead to the greatest profits and least losses.
    I hope that if you read my other Apple article, you will find it similarly on the fence.
    Thanks for reading.
    Jan 6 09:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple (AAPL) plans to open mini-stores inside Target (TGT) locations, according to reporting from AppleInsider. A move into some of Target's +1.7K retail stores could help expand Apple's reach into smaller metro areas. [View news story]
    I certainly shop at Target. But when I have a specific list of things I want to get and I don't want to spend much money to get it. And for that purpose, I very much like and support Target.

However, it is not the type of store in which people window shop, browsing until they make that heftier purchase. Not to mention that most students can get cheaper prices on Apple items through their campus-based student store.
    Jan 6 03:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Not sure the typical Target customer is Apple's target demographic.
    Jan 6 11:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Is Gold Dropping? [View article]
    When can you recall that nominal GDP per capita was more in the past than it is in the present? Barring recessions, as the dollar is devalued, salaries are increased. Your $1 may buy less, but you have more of them now.
    Jan 2 10:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Is Gold Dropping? [View article]
    The idea that gold is is deserving of special accord because it has been around for longer is ludicrous. Bloodletting as a key part of medicine (as compared to gold as a key part of the economy) has been around for thousands of years - MUCH longer than modern medicine. But we don't give it special treatment simply for being old.

Fiat currencies are simply a social contract. Gold as money was another social contract. Realistically, gold could be a considered a fiat currency by the simple definition that it was, at some point in history, proclaimed to be worth money. So whether this social contract is based on a tree or on a mineral, is there a difference? The value is imbued by common agreement, not an innate source.
    Jan 2 10:24 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Best Buy - At Least A Good Buy [View article]
    I would strongly consider switching to another site if that is the quality of data that it is feeding you.

Not is the idea of a stock swinging between $100 and $37 in a single day absurd (excepting a MAJOR event), but that particular day, the first of September 2008, was Labor Day and the markets were closed.
    Dec 31 06:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Best Buy - At Least A Good Buy [View article]
    And when was that? BBY all time high is just shy of $60, back in April 2006.

Even at the time of the 3:2 split in 2005, when the stock reached what was, then, an all time high, it was still just shy of $75 - not $100 and not directly comparable, anyway.

So no - I don't realize that at one time BBY was a $100 stock.

But, considering your point that it was selling at a higher price several years ago - yes. But in FY2006, EPS was $2.27, which is on par with the EPS range which I offered for FY2012. In 2006, BBY was overvalued. Now, BBY is undervalued.
    Dec 31 03:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Best Buy - At Least A Good Buy [View article]
    I agree with you that online competition is and will continue to be the greatest problem for BBY - however, as I opined above, as the lack of sales tax is competitive advantage that will not be lasting much longer. The brick and mortar stores are a cost that other online companies do not have, but, with the proper business model - which BBY management is actively trying to adjust to - the stores will work to their advantage.

As far as waiting until the economy gets better... In the spirit of all those that have made money by buying before the market moved upward and those whole lost money by buying a falling knife - if you wait too long, it will be too late. And, considering that consumer sentiment and confidence are increasing, housing is improving, and new jobless claims continues to trend downward, the argument could be made that things are stabilizing after a rough summer.

BBY is not a company I expect to shoot to the forefront tomorrow, but I think it will get stronger and improve its situation over time.
    Dec 29 12:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Best Buy - At Least A Good Buy [View article]
    Agreed - to an extent. I'd like to point you to this report on the refund times over the holiday season - http://bit.ly/sh4PUW. They dropped the ball, but have clearly picked it up fast to make amends. When things go wrong, it is more often how it was dealt with that people discuss - whether to complain about having to jump through hoops or to rave about prompt refunds and replacements.
    Dec 28 04:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Best Buy - At Least A Good Buy [View article]
    I'm strongly in favor of the buybacks. I've consistently felt that buybacks are the best way to increase shareholder value, so the fact that they are doing so when the shares are underpriced? I'm very happy. While it does create some artificial masking of certain results, it doesn't take much to see behind the mask and carry out sound analysis.
    Dec 28 03:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Pandora Demonstrates Advantages, This Time With Concert Niche [View article]
    Of course they have different business models. But that doesn't mean they aren't competing against each other.

Let's consider your example of AAPL and AMZN - and include GOOG for good measure. All three have dramatically different business models. All three are in direct competition with each other in multiple services - music (all three), e-readers (AAPL/AMZN), phones (AAPL/GOOG), etc.

Different business models do not preclude competition. Pandora and Sirius (even Spotify) are in the business of providing music for their users. They have different business models and (slightly) different products - but they are all in competition against each other. The author's claim that they can peacefully coexist due to their differences, in my belief, is not true.
    Dec 9 07:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple May Have Won The PC War, By Losing The Windows Battle [View article]
    An interesting read. While I agree that this is largely a matter of semantics, I think that it is still a few years too early to lump the iPad and other tablets in with PC's. As you said, laptops were considered a separate category until they were 'viable desktop replacements'. While tablets may very well become a 'viable desktop [or laptop] replacement', they have not yet reached that point. Until they do, there ought to be a distinction between PC's and tablets.
    Nov 22 08:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment