Jefferson Starship

View Jefferson Starship's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Sirius Anti-Trust Lawsuit Offers Buy Opportunity [View article]
    Oink -

You are correct in part. Sexual harassment and sexual discrimination are both actionable under Title VII because each are discrimination on the basis of gender, which is of course of, unlawful. But the plaintiffs in the Wal-Mart suit are alleging both and this is the problem the court is having with granting them class certification. Many of the plaintiffs are alleging that they have been overlooked for promotions while males with lesser experience have been promoted, but there are also plaintiffs saying that they have been subject to disparate treatment and a hostile work environment. This is where the Court has asserted that there could be instances where a particular plaintiff could also be a defendant. And, my bad, I did mean litigation not legislation.
    Apr 4, 2011. 06:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius Anti-Trust Lawsuit Offers Buy Opportunity [View article]
    You are correct in saying that individual notice is not required for class actions, and once the class is certified more plaintiffs may join, or risk not being able to bring the suit in the future. I tried to explain class certifications in an article last week about the Wal-Mart legislation....

seekingalpha.com/artic...

For more, I would google Federal Rules of Civil Procedure 23.
    Apr 4, 2011. 10:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Don't Include McDonald's in My Retirement Portfolio [View article]
    MCD has already come out and said how they plan to deal with rising commodity costs, by raising certain items by a couple percents. More on this can be found here...

seekingalpha.com/artic...

And as per Wendy's expanding and being competitive....they been around for awhile and have not done anything. Until they sell Arby's they are really no threat.
    Apr 1, 2011. 03:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • In Defense of Johnson & Johnson: Half a Century of Increasing Dividends [View article]
    JNJ does sink a lot of money each year into research/improvements, its just not currently working at the time.
    Mar 15, 2011. 04:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is B&G Foods' 4.6% Dividend Worth the Gamble? [View article]
    I agree with the 'milking cash cows' assessment, since there is really not that much growth to be had in their current brands. BGS did make 2 acquisitions in 2010 but they will not have a substantial affect on the bottom line. However the increased cash piling could signal more acquisitions in the future. With that being said, there is nothing wrong with taking these two strong brands and keeping them strong with limited growth prospects if they are going to be paying out a yield like theirs.
    Mar 15, 2011. 01:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is B&G Foods' 4.6% Dividend Worth the Gamble? [View article]
    Thank you for the comment, I had not known about their addition to the Small Cap 600. $14 is a great entry point here, one of my partners suggested we buy this for our fund in September at around $11; his idea was shot down and we are reminded of it regularly.
    Mar 15, 2011. 08:49 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is B&G Foods' 4.6% Dividend Worth the Gamble? [View article]
    I would say that from a brand recognition standpoint, Pepsi, Kraft, General Mills, and Kellogg are stronger.
    Mar 15, 2011. 08:41 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    You realize there was a major economic recession between 2004 and the present? and $67 seems a bit high.
    Mar 10, 2011. 12:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Sirius Threat: 'Free' as a Business Model [View article]
    Wayne Gretzky was traded from the Oilers b/c their owner was financially greedy and was going to get good money for him. He was extremely loyal to Edmonton and cried at the press conference. I stopped reading after that, but I am long SIRI.
    Mar 9, 2011. 12:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Adding American Vices to Your Dividend and Growth Portfolios [View article]
    I don't necessarily have a problem with real estate, I just prefer companies to be more focused; that sort of diversification requires very strong management.
    Mar 9, 2011. 09:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Adding American Vices to Your Dividend and Growth Portfolios [View article]
    You're right, VGR's Wild Turkey Bourbon certainly stands up to DEO's Johnnie Walker, Bushmills, and Crown Royal.
    Mar 8, 2011. 01:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Stocks I Wouldn't Mind Picking Up Near 52-Week Highs [View article]
    Well said Millenniummike
    Mar 7, 2011. 12:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Stocks I Wouldn't Mind Picking Up Near 52-Week Highs [View article]
    billddrummer,

Thank you, that's actually the adage that inspired this article.

462153,

The point of this was to show that sometimes you have to swallow that risk in order to make a profit, I thought the graphs would help to show that. As per risk, these articles have word limitations, but yes, there is inherent risk in any stock purchase you make. Lastly, you clicked.
    Mar 6, 2011. 12:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Stocks I Wouldn't Mind Picking Up Near 52-Week Highs [View article]
    The shorts have been heavy on CRM forever, see here

seekingalpha.com/artic...

where an 'expert' said his one pick would be shorting CRM at just under $100 in July, we've see how well that has worked out.
    Mar 6, 2011. 12:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Stocks I Wouldn't Mind Picking Up Near 52-Week Highs [View article]
    To answer your question I sold CRM once I doubled up on it and I've taken profits on AAPL and PPG.
    Mar 4, 2011. 09:37 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment