Jefferson Starship

View Jefferson Starship's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 4 Golden Apples for Every Food Industry Investor [View article]
    Good call on your four picks but if you're talking food I would throw in BGS who owns Ortega among other things. They are on a really strong run with some room to grow even after a massive earnings jump. GIS also pays a pretty good dividend.
    Mar 3 09:08 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Fast Food Restaurants Are Dealing With the Cost of Beef [View article]
    None of this was really the crux of my argument regarding the costs of beef and companies with sound fundamentals but if you'd like to do the math here are some links:

nutrition.mcdonalds.co...

www.chipotle.com/en-US...

Keep in mind that a burrito from Chip is enough for three meals. And I endorse MCD, I own the stock and like their unhealthy food, I also jog everyday so I can eat things like this once in a while.

Lastly, you could be completely right in that Chip sells themselves off as healthy to the yuppies that are willing to pay more for their food, and in doing so they are doing an exceptional job. One last thing, I wouldn't stress the sodium, for those who exercise its not a big deal.
    Mar 2 12:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How Fast Food Restaurants Are Dealing With the Cost of Beef [View article]
    Well that's why I included the trade down study regarding people who used to eat out but are now opting for nicer fast food restaurants.
    Mar 2 11:42 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How Fast Food Restaurants Are Dealing With the Cost of Beef [View article]
    Chiptole is much healthier; for one, tortillas have significantly less calories than a hamburger bun, nachos have way less calories than the death sticks known as french fries, third their food does not have anywhere near the preservatives used by the other chains, and they use a lot of beans and things like that which are high in lean protein. Lastly, I do not drink soda so I would not know about that but I would suggest bringing your own water whenever you eat at a fast food place, that's where they get ya.

www.chipotle.com/en-US...
    Mar 2 11:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Sirius Problem: A Deeper Look at the Company [View article]
    I can't agree with the author in many aspects of this article, especially where SIRI is compared to other media companies, though it really has no peers.

Also, I really don't think $1.80 is resistance, its a result of the entire market over the last week.

For a far more rational look at why SIRI will perform admirably this year check out this article from 2 weeks ago, looking into data figures from the National Automotive Dealers Association.

thematadorgroup.blogsp...
    Mar 1 05:07 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Focus on Manufacturing: 6 Dividend Stocks for Every Portfolio [View article]
    I agree with you completely on CMI, they are a very sound company with strong growth prospects and have a very low P/E. The recent 10% sell off makes them even more attractive...Deere was on the list, but was under the CAT section. They are in the same boat as CMI in my opinion.
    Feb 24 10:38 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 16 Dividend Stocks for the Long-Term Investor [View article]
    I own PM as well, PM and MO are one in the same since they're basically the same company just in different parts of the world. They both pay really good dividends, of course you can't track PM back as many years since they haven't been around that long....The thing with cigarettes is that the price can rise faster than most goods and people will still buy them...Of course over the very long term you could be worried about the world getting healthier and bans to bars, restaurants, etc.
    Feb 24 05:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 16 Dividend Stocks for the Long-Term Investor [View article]
    Thank you for the compliment and you make a very strong point as to today's market making for solid entry points. If you could pick up companies like this at a 2-3% discount its a giant plus short term.
    Feb 22 01:35 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 16 Dividend Stocks for the Long-Term Investor [View article]
    Stocks that offer monthly dividends generally offer little in the way of price appreciation or a rising yield. They're also generally tied to assets that you have to be wary of. For instance, I own HIX, a junk bond CEF that pays monthly, but there are no prospects of the 10% yield increasing and the price is relatively stable. Others, like real estate picks rely on the housing market and the value of all of the properties they hold. I'd personally stick with the blue-chips, but yes there is room in a portfolio for a few monthly payers.
    Feb 22 01:33 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 16 Dividend Stocks for the Long-Term Investor [View article]
    Aflac has been increasing their dividend since 1896; but you have to watch out for how the health-care bill turns out...I really don't know enough about it to predict how it will affect stocks (I do, on the other hand understand the constitutionality debate and the implications of the commerce clause regarding its passage but that is neither here nor there). I don't get the Saddam reference.
    Feb 22 01:29 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 16 Dividend Stocks for the Long-Term Investor [View article]
    I one was looking to get into Walmart, I would think that today after poor earnings could be a good place to start.
    Feb 22 09:45 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 16 Dividend Stocks for the Long-Term Investor [View article]
    I don't know what a dragon fly formation is, but I did say to carefully watch your entry point on PPG b/c of the run they've been on. And I wouldn't short them, the earnings speak for themselves, technicals can only take you so far.
    Feb 21 11:39 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 16 Dividend Stocks for the Long-Term Investor [View article]
    I agree somewhat with Intel, because chips are big business, but I really wouldn't make a life time bet on MSFT, it's totally a personal opinion though. Ironically, I'm typing this on a Lenovo with an Intel chipset running Windows 7.
    Feb 21 07:22 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 16 Dividend Stocks for the Long-Term Investor [View article]
    I didn't mean this as a knock to GE; I actually own GE, but if you were to ask me what they do it would go something like this....wellllll they're the number one producer of parts for wind farms, and they make a bunch of other stuff....they used to own CBS; etc. If a casual investor wants to monitor the health of their picks its easier to do it in an industry that can be explained in a sentence or two.

GE would not have fit on the list though since they cut their dividend 2 years ago by 2/3rds. Again, I am long GE,...and MCD.
    Feb 21 07:20 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment