Jefferson Starship

View Jefferson Starship's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • 16 Dividend Stocks for the Long-Term Investor [View article]
    I didn't mean this as a knock to GE; I actually own GE, but if you were to ask me what they do it would go something like this....wellllll they're the number one producer of parts for wind farms, and they make a bunch of other stuff....they used to own CBS; etc. If a casual investor wants to monitor the health of their picks its easier to do it in an industry that can be explained in a sentence or two.

GE would not have fit on the list though since they cut their dividend 2 years ago by 2/3rds. Again, I am long GE,...and MCD.
    Feb 21 07:20 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is B&G Foods' 4.6% Dividend Worth the Gamble? [View article]
    Thank you for the comment, I had not known about their addition to the Small Cap 600. $14 is a great entry point here, one of my partners suggested we buy this for our fund in September at around $11; his idea was shot down and we are reminded of it regularly.
    Mar 15 08:49 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 16 Dividend Stocks for the Long-Term Investor [View article]
    Aflac has been increasing their dividend since 1896; but you have to watch out for how the health-care bill turns out...I really don't know enough about it to predict how it will affect stocks (I do, on the other hand understand the constitutionality debate and the implications of the commerce clause regarding its passage but that is neither here nor there). I don't get the Saddam reference.
    Feb 22 01:29 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Sirius Problem: A Deeper Look at the Company [View article]
    I can't agree with the author in many aspects of this article, especially where SIRI is compared to other media companies, though it really has no peers.

Also, I really don't think $1.80 is resistance, its a result of the entire market over the last week.

For a far more rational look at why SIRI will perform admirably this year check out this article from 2 weeks ago, looking into data figures from the National Automotive Dealers Association.

thematadorgroup.blogsp...
    Mar 1 05:07 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 16 Dividend Stocks for the Long-Term Investor [View article]
    I don't know what a dragon fly formation is, but I did say to carefully watch your entry point on PPG b/c of the run they've been on. And I wouldn't short them, the earnings speak for themselves, technicals can only take you so far.
    Feb 21 11:39 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Diamond Offshore: Attractive Investment, And a Possible LBO Candidate [View article]
    This is a very well written article. People sometimes fail to realize that Diamond is one of the strongest names in offshore drilling and were trading at a huge discount after the BP incident. However, several of their leases were renewed after this, and at lower day rates unfortunately as a result. The bright side is several new contracts in Australia and other places not in the Gulf. Also, the risk is not as great as everyone makes it out to be. Yes, BP was a catastrophe, but RIG (the driller) did not have the liabilities that BP (the operator) had afterward and their stock has rebounded significantly since then.
    Feb 20 12:34 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford: Driving Toward Profitability With a Dividend [View article]
    Apple has a P/E of 19, which is by no means "outrageous" and they do not pay a dividend because companies that constantly innovate need cash flows pushed back into research. Apple is sitting on a pile of cash awaiting future acquisitions/developme... And you have nothing to back up a claim of child labor.
    Feb 10 02:53 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sweet Dividend Contenders: Ranking the Sugared Foods Stocks [View article]
    This is what I was referring to, Smuckers sells Dunkin coffee products in grocery stores. The 'c' in coffee became capitalized in editing and I was hoping that the lower case would imply that.
    Jun 28 12:37 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 16 Dividend Stocks for the Long-Term Investor [View article]
    Thank you for the compliment and you make a very strong point as to today's market making for solid entry points. If you could pick up companies like this at a 2-3% discount its a giant plus short term.
    Feb 22 01:35 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 16 Dividend Stocks for the Long-Term Investor [View article]
    I agree somewhat with Intel, because chips are big business, but I really wouldn't make a life time bet on MSFT, it's totally a personal opinion though. Ironically, I'm typing this on a Lenovo with an Intel chipset running Windows 7.
    Feb 21 07:22 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 16 Dividend Stocks for the Long-Term Investor [View article]
    What about Ford???
    seekingalpha.com/artic...
    Feb 21 03:42 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 12 Dividend Stocks Capable Of Weathering Storms For Decades [View article]
    conkjc,

Thank you for the comment, I like VOD too but I was trying to stick with American companies. I also own JNJ, its another stock you really don't have to think about, I just think that ABT will offer more in capital appreciation in the long run. But, of course, it couldn't hurt to own both.
    Aug 30 04:57 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Railroads: The Best Investment For The Economic Downturn [View article]
    Good article, I would have included CNI.
    Aug 25 11:37 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is B&G Foods' 4.6% Dividend Worth the Gamble? [View article]
    I would say that from a brand recognition standpoint, Pepsi, Kraft, General Mills, and Kellogg are stronger.
    Mar 15 08:41 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Stocks I Wouldn't Mind Picking Up Near 52-Week Highs [View article]
    To answer your question I sold CRM once I doubled up on it and I've taken profits on AAPL and PPG.
    Mar 4 09:37 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment