Jeffrey Friedland

View Jeffrey Friedland's Comments BY TICKER:
  • It's Time To Take A Close Look At China Yuchai's 3rd Quarter And 9 Month Results [View article]
    From the earnings call, "I will now provide a brief update on our joint ventures. In relation to the joint venture with Chery, further to our decision to focus only on Chery Yuchai, we should all develop and produce a 4020 diesel engine for passenger cars."
    Nov 26 12:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I'm out right now, but no, if my recollection is correct this is a different joint venture with Chery to manufacture diesel auto engines that was referenced in the third quarter earnings call.
    Nov 26 12:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Tesla Disrupt? [View article]
    Teddy: If I recall the Toyota RAVe EV program was some sort of strategic alliance with Tesla.

There is no question that Tesla has some patents, but I don't think that they end up being an automobile manufacturer. I think that they end up either selling their patents or becoming a licensing company, neither of which would justify the valuation and the stock being a buy.
    Nov 23 06:56 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Tesla Disrupt? [View article]
    I made a deposit on an S model last November (2011) of $5000.00. We were early on the delivery list, and we were told that deliveries were to be made starting in April 2012.

We asked for our funds back last month, October, which they promptly sent without question. There was no segregation of deposits, and in the event of a bankruptcy those who had deposits would be considered general creditors.

I liked the car, wanted one, and am, I guess an early adopter. But, I've written here on the global auto industry, and I don't see Tesla as a long-term player. I don't think that they have it together on auto manufacturing at all, or what it takes to operate an auto manufacturer.

Maybe they'll get bought by Toyota, which I believe is definitely a possibility.

I'll wait and order an electric vehicle when I have a company behind it, such as BMW or Toyota that makes a 200 mile range per day or so vehicle.
    Nov 22 03:43 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Q3 Results Of 2 Companies Tied To China's Growing Auto Industry [View article]
    I have written about Longwei Petroleum here at Seeking Alpha.

(You can check out my articles.)

I'm probably going to prepare an update soon as well.
    Nov 21 08:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Acknowledged.
    Nov 21 08:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Q3 Earnings Confirm Xinyuan Real Estate Well Positioned For Growth [View article]
    Over the past year or so I've taken the position that Chinese companies that have stock market listings outside of China, that are still listed, whether in Singapore, the United States, Canada, the UK or Germany, have been subject to an incredible level of scrutiny by their auditors. This is to a large extent due to the liability that auditors now have.

So, I'm taking the position with US listed Chinese companies that the ones that are still trading are "good' Chinese companies. While this increased level is not a 100% guarantee, it should provide a high-level of confidence for investors.

Remember that the US, with all its transparency and regulations since has frauds, such as Enron and MF Global.

Thanks for your comments, and thanks for reading my article.

Jeffrey Friedland
    Nov 14 07:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Election Is Over - Time To Think About An Investment Strategy For The Next 4 Years [View article]
    Right on the dividend percentage.

Also, I concur and indicated that it was clear that the strategy was to sell US properties to Chinese. I think that this they will be successful with. I'm just not sure how successful they'll be in actually operating in the US, and whether they'll be able to generate the amount of earnings that they've been able to generate from comparable projects in China.
    Nov 9 11:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Right on both counts.

But, I have a feeling that the financial results for the third quarter will also be very good. We'll find out soon enough.

Jeffrey Friedland
    Nov 9 11:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for your comment. I checked out your August 10th posting here at Seeking Alpha as well.

Jeffrey Friedland
    Nov 7 02:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks. I'll check out your article right now.

Jeffrey Friedland
    Nov 7 01:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Both Jim O'Neill And I Are Bullish On China; I'm Also Bullish On Longwei Petroleum [View article]
    I don't know if this is accurate, but it indicates that China owns substantially more than you indicated of Treasuries:

"In total, China owns about 8 percent of publicly held U.S. debt. Of all the holders of U.S. debt China is the third-largest, behind only the Social Security Trust Fund's holdings of nearly $3 trillion and the Federal Reserve's nearly $2 trillion holdings in Treasury investments, purchased as part of its quantitative easing program to boost the economy."

Nov 4 09:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Keep me posted. We do have an office in Beijing headed by Kristina Wang, and she and her team could obviously participate whenever it happens.
    Nov 3 08:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Global Economic Outlook: A Direct Path To Chinese Equities [View article]
    I'm not sure that really will occur this time. But, more importantly everything I see points to a Chinese recovery being underway, which I believe will start to benefit public companies in the fourth quarter of this year and beginning of next year.

I also believe that once the new Chinese leadership is in place, there will be other stimulus measures that will be taken, that I believe will be focused on the country's consumer economy rather than export driven industries, due to the problems that two of China's biggest customers, the US and Europe are having with their own economies.
    Nov 3 08:02 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Global Economic Outlook: A Direct Path To Chinese Equities [View article]
    There has been a major slowdown in Chinese business activity, which accounts for the annual GDP going from 11%+ the probably 7.7% or 7.8% this year.

Keep in mind that there is a concentrated effort to increase the domestic economy. I haven't been worried about over-capacity and over-building, due to a country with 1.4+ billion being able to absorb the over capacity over time.

And, the Chinese leadership doesn't want, nor will they allow a "genuine" American or European style recession, as stablility is their ultimate goal. The recent economic stimulus and smaller monetary efforts were the result.

I believe that after the regime comes in to power on November 8th, that once they get their "feet on the ground" additional stimulus efforts will be enacted.

Jeffrey Friedland