Jesse Bellet

View Jesse Bellet's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Berkshire Beyond Buffett: A Lasting Bet- Book Review [View article]
    In the chart above comparing the A shares with the B shares, can anyone explain the dramatic outperformance of the A shares?

Good article!
    Aug 18 12:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BNSF And Union Pacific Have Intermodal Advantages [View article]
    This article is excellent and I commend the author for the great work on this industry. I just wish I picked up some shares a decade ago!
    Jul 10 10:37 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon's Ability And Intent To Pay A Dividend [View article]
    Sherloc-Thanks for the kind comments. I have looked into these issues with regards to Wal-Mart:

My other article on Amazon more fully captures this in numbers:

You are spot on. The fact that Amazon holds funds from suppliers for more than 2 months (74 days), and is much lighter in days supply of inventory (compared to WMT) gives the company a huge advantage.

Again, thanks for your comment and for reading this piece.
    Jul 4 04:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Altria's Strong Dividend And Beer Investment Portend A Bright Future [View article]
    As per the most recent 10K it does not appear that FETRA expiration will have a material effect on the financials:
    "The quota buy-out did not have a material impact on Altria Group, Inc.’s 2013 consolidated results, and Altria Group, Inc. does not currently anticipate that the quota buy-out will have a material adverse impact on its consolidated results in 2014, when the obligations imposed by FETRA will expire."
    Jul 4 12:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Any comment I would make is pure speculation and an educated (?) guess. If it would raise the stock price or create value in some other way, then the Board and/or the investment bankers should be discussing this strategy.

My belief, although I haven't seen this in writing, is that management likes the SABMiller stake because it provides some diversity in their earnings. Remember, this company is tied to Marlboro in the US. Many other tobacco concerns have international operations.

I will look into some earnings reports and investor relations presentations before I answer your comment more completely.
    Jul 4 12:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon's Ability And Intent To Pay A Dividend [View article]
    Very clever! Thanks for reading this article.

Your second point is unclear. AMZN is rapidly changing and the annual report emphasizes that fact. You mention that they are "losing money" but the company is cash flow positive and has positive earnings (according to GAAP).

Is your first point suggesting that my article is "infantile"? I clearly state in my first sentence that I want to research AMZN's ability to pay a dividend, coupled with an understanding of the firm's financial health.
    Jul 4 10:41 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon's Ability And Intent To Pay A Dividend [View article]
    Nost-Great comment. I agree with much of what you write, especially that this company wants "to be in every space possible." I'm not an expert on the company, but I wanted to take a peek at the cash flow statement to see what type of yield they could have, if they wanted to pay a dividend.

Thanks for reading!
    Jul 4 06:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Take a peek at the income statement for FY 13. Because they hold such a large stake in SABMiller, that brewer's earnings show up on the income statement of Altria.
    Jul 3 07:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Target's New Dividend Policy Is Attractive And Sound [View article]
    CK-Thanks for your insight and reading my article. I was unaware of these policies.

Now, I'm also a WMT shareholder and I've learned that they are the largest seller of firearms in this fine country.
    Regards, JB
    Jul 2 09:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    R- What an interesting idea!! Maybe you need to be hired (as a consultant) to discuss strategy with the Board? Maybe Icahn or Ackman can buy a large slug of stock and get some of these plans implemented!

Certainly in some parts of Nevada, the activity you describe is perfectly legal.
    Jul 2 09:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    T4Y-Thanks for the thought provoking comment. I don't want to rush to make a comment without giving this a thorough look....so, I will get back to this article with something worthwhile as I believe that you are onto something.

Also, thanks for reading and researching!
    Jul 2 09:33 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Matthew-many thanks for reading this. Can you give myself and other SA readers some insight? This acronym is new to me.
    Jul 2 04:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Target's New Dividend Policy Is Attractive And Sound [View article]
    Tx-Thanks for the comment. I doubt that the next 10 years will be as strong. I believe that there will be capex needs for the Canadian operations, and the focus is to grow sales by becoming an international (Canada/US) operation instead of a huge dividend payer.

I also think 20% may be a little aggressive. Using this math [2.08 (Current dividend) x 1.20^10 (20% increase for 10 years)], I arrive at about $12.80. The company only earns about $4 (very rough estimate) per share now. Obviously, you can't pay a dividend for every dollar you earn.

I think 5% to 15% increases for the next two years are likely. Beyond that is anybody's guess. I'm a shareholder so I'll be following this just like you!
    Jul 1 04:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft's Dividend Coverage Ratio [View article]
    La Rue-I'm not sure I follow your comment. Thanks for reading the article!
    Jun 30 02:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft's Dividend Coverage Ratio [View article]
    Michael-Thanks for commenting. My sincerest apologies if this article doesn't meet your expectations. I'm not sure where I went off, but the scope of my article was clearly defined and included an analysis of the most recent figures from the Q3 earnings. Investors need to be aware of the increased capex going forward if Microsoft's strategy of increased datacenters continues for the next decade. I have not seen any guidance from analyst's or MSFT as far as dollar figures for capex going forward.

Feel free to take a peek at some of my other work in the dividend space to see if that meets your risk appetite in the large cap space. I look forward to your future articles and commentary, as your work is quite impressive here on SA.
    Cheers!