Jim Rich

View Jim Rich's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Intel: Busting Another False Myth [View article]
    ARM's strength is that they can supply a license of their core to FPGA suppliers and design engineers making it possible for those engineers to do embedded processing. While that hardware core combined with FPGA logic can certainly help speed up data in a variety ol locations, it takes more design work to do so. To drop in an ARM to a motherboard like you would an x86/64 like what you're accoustomed to with Intel or AMD I don't believe is a viable alternative, but to develop a more robust system a developer or development team does so. This doesn't necessarily mean there isn't some base x64 processors there, it just means there are also ARM cores, so both companies could coexist from a hardware standpoint. It's the software guys, or financial analysts, that may want to make this some competitive alternative, but it need not be one.
    May 13 12:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why E-Trade Should Enter The Canadian Market Again [View article]
    Those of us who are engineers and whose children are on that tract don't want the cheaper import labor you claim we need. Several engineers and scientists right here are still out of work or in inappropriate positions and it is only the desire to reduce cost that drives the tech import invitation, not the lack of qualified people.

To get back on tract with your story, seems your advice, if accurate, could be taken by any brokerage franchise out there and has little to do with E*Trade directly. 26% is still solid growth, and much of their expenditure in the prior quarter was to retire more expensive debt, so to project a potentially much higher loss for this quarter is uninformed.
    Jan 30 08:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T: The Stock Performs Well, Is Safe And Undervalued [View article]
    While I don't disagree with you on iPhone terms, and I'll add, reliance on future freqs too close to gps, etc, I think they do have potential being the only player to still offer a fixed data rate plan, with a potential upside given ATTs questionable conduct taking T-Mobile so soon after Sprints talks with them and today's ruling their lawsuit can proceed. I also can't complain based on my over 8% gain since buying the day before earnings. I don't see a reason for S to drop this quarter before the iPhone sales question is answered, so I feel pretty safe in the short term and anticipate additional upside. We are talking about making money right? Plus as a company, I like S more then T given my history with both.
    Nov 7 07:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T: The Stock Performs Well, Is Safe And Undervalued [View article]
    Everyone seems to forget they went under 15 years ago, were sold, and quickly restructured... primarily to dump on their former employees. Much of their consistency since was due to Apple, and until some more time for contract expirations pass, it's still not clear how big a hit they take from Verizon and now Sprint. I for one was happy to see my ATT iPhone contract expires on 12/7 so I can save roughly $40 per month moving to Sprint. Given their new pay-by-use plans I would have been moving somewhere else regardless. I don't agree that it's a good time to buy T, but perhaps S for a short term boost.
    Nov 7 02:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Judge Gives BofA Another Chance to Disprove His Logical Conclusion [View article]
    If Mr. Cuomo cared about BAC shareholders he'd shut up and let us recoup some of our losses through continued recovery in the stock price. It was reported (and pretty obvious) BAC wanted to drop or modify the deal but after that weekend's discussions with treasury and fed it was forced to go through with it... if Cuomo wants to pursue anything it should be that, but wait, that's out of his jurisdiction and has already been described as necessary to prevent a systemic collapse. Hmm, then it seems BAC was performing a necessary service, so let's get over it. I dislike the ML bonus payments that were made, however it was still a separate entity before the completion of the merger of which I do approve. Cuomo should now investigate how the gov pushed these two together and now wants to split banks and proprietary traders. BAC shareholders do deserve special consideration in this looming fiasco. Regulation is a necessity, but it is treated as a political game, and what is being discussed doesn't touch on real problems such as GS and other prop program trading destroying the market for normal investors that can watch a 2% swing in a matter of a few seconds two and sometimes three times a day. I can easily make money day trading this landscape, but for the long who still wants to own a good company its a rough and disappointing road.
    Feb 13 11:27 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Weekly Sentiment Losers: US Oil, E-Trade, Spectra Energy [View article]
    ... of the 14 clicks we got this week only 7 were positive compared to the 8 of 15 last week... lol.

Do people know they are supposed to vote weekly or is this an "often as you like" sorta useless poll? And who really does internet polls anyway? I wouldn't want to stake my future on the statistical accuracy of anything produced in most cases e.g. it's often not buyers or customers making coments, just anyone with an opinion.
    Dec 21 08:40 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank of America: Is This Health or Financial Botox? [View article]
    For a 15% dilution they have more latitude to choose a CEO. They won't have a huge interest payment and their restrictions are dropping, so over the next couple quarters they can decide to buy some stock back plus slowly reinstate their dividend payments. I'd say buy a boatload!
    Dec 4 09:00 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • TD Ameritrade-E*Trade Deal Needs to Happen [View article]
    Ho Hum. ETFC under $1.90 is a buy regardless of any potential merger on the horizon. I hope they have a couple quarters to recover on their own, as that will give the best ROI to shareholders and customers alike.
    Nov 19 12:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Will TD Ameritrade or Charles Schwab Buy Up E*Trade? [View article]
    Lets hope they aren't bought, but if they are and the bank is split from the brokerage then my brokerage money goes elsewhere. I'm a customer because I like the convenience of the combined services offered, and unlike some noobs that don't seem to understand there are trading rules, I am happy with their customer service as well.
    Aug 31 06:52 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Must-Know News [View article]
    Ohhh, some secret agreement with BAC. It's already well known they were asked to raise gobs of capital around that time, which they have. It's unlikely they aren't equally far along the path of whatever super "secret" stuff that was asked of them. Perhaps we should focus on things happening now, like earnings tomorrow and perchance a small dig to hold down stock price given JPM's nice earnings today.

On the article; thanks for the update!
    Jul 16 08:23 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Latest Outrage: Citi Increases Salaries to Circumvent Bonus Restrictions [View article]
    This is a time when most people are happy to have jobs; for many a bonus is something they remember from several years ago, and certainly not at dollar values that came anywhere near their base salary.

The problem here isn't trying to raise salaries as much as it is when they are trying to raise them, and there is also the question of who is getting a raise.

C is still in dire straits; they don't smell quite so bad now because of accounting rule changes, but they really need to be using their money efficiently elsewhere just to stay in business. Who cares if a few jump ship to competitors, because a competitor can only absorb a finite number of people if they are doing their job properly. New specialty houses, lol, good luck with that. Those willing to work and invest in their own company will get payback enough IF the company survives and their stock regains some value.

As for who gets raises, give everyone 5% (only if the company can afford it). Someone pulling down 200K still gets a lot more out of that than those on the front lines, but the front lines keep the business running and they are the ones having to worry about such trivial things as gas prices and eating.
    Jun 25 09:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Is E*Trade's CEO Giving the Company to Citadel? [View article]
    I am long and think this is about the best thing that could have happened. There are multiple positives from this deal that I commented on elsewhere. I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. Don't be sad and keep accumulating while it's cheap; I think we'll be happy later this year.
    Jun 18 05:54 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Analysts Will Soon Upgrade E-Trade [View article]
    Total delinquencies are about the same month over month, however those over 180 days are being written down, which means these improvements in sub 180 delinquencies are extremely positive.

Since the government refuses to properly manage TARP monies availability, the Citadel agreement guarantees ETFC the cash needed to weather the crisis. There is no longer a threat of ETFC disappearing which was the primary reason their stock price was still such a bargain. Not only that, but it reduces the amount it has to repay in interest over time and reduces the longstanding debt by converting it now, so the deal has three huge positives in that regard. I see no reason why the max price Citadel is paying must match market price or even influence it; ETFC is after all essentially selling debt and there is benefit to both ETFC and Citadel with this deal.

I also suspect with the money they need now available, they will change their accounting method as other banks did in the first quarter and start showing a profit (as they would have in first quarter, had they done it then). Whether the deal is close enough to do that this quarter or next is the question, but I'd give it a 60% or better chance of happening now.
    Jun 18 01:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Will E*Trade Survive? Four Ways It Can [View article]
    If they wanted to take the company down they've had the opportunity to do so for several quarters. I've been pretty happy with Layton's performance and pretty un-happy with the TARP management and government toying with the capital reserve targets. I think Layton would love to exit his CEO position with the company on top of the competition having beat all the nay-sayers. Loan defaults are finally showing improvement and the question is can they earn, borrow or sell enough to survive in the short term while the remaining defaults are written off. I'd love them to do a public bond offering; I'd buy a 10 year note with a low interest coupon to help them out. Their survival is in my interest too as I like having all my finances serviced by one company... and I've seen what the competition looks like.
    May 13 05:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • E*Trade: Why the Strange Earnings Report? [View article]
    ... if they asked, I'd reserve a few thousand to get them through the current situation. They already service accounts, and while it wouldn't be an FDIC insured account, they could still pay interest for those individuals willing to provide them with capital reserve by moving money to a new limited-access "capital reserve" account. Sign me up.Don!
    Apr 29 06:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment