Jim Van Meerten

View Jim Van Meerten's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Is Facebook An Investable Stock? [View article]
    AJ Clausen -- I guess you commented without reading the article - My point is on IPOs you really don't have enough info to base an opinion - A lot of people bought in on the IPO on hype alone and got burned. The stock has now traded for a year and you now have not only a years worth of trading activity without the Underwriting groups' price manipulation but you also have analysts and the Publics' recommendations and opinions to consider.

By investable I'm not saying buy - I'm saying you now have enough info to decide
    Sep 22 12:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Robama Hood continues to rob from the "rich" [View instapost]
    Every child and elderly should not go to bed hungry or have their ailment unattended - to the rest I say get a job!
    Sep 21 12:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead Sciences Offers A Challenge For The Individual Investor [View article]
    Technical analysis is really not that complicated -- It all boils down to the change in price. In the end only 3 things drive a change in price : Changes is Revenue, Earnings and the Price Earnings ratio - which is really just a Optimism/Pessimism ratio of the validity of the other two
    Sep 18 08:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead Sciences Offers A Challenge For The Individual Investor [View article]
    The less the better --- Big boys don't keep me out but you have to realize that Soro, Ichan or Aikerman can ruin your day
    Sep 12 02:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead Sciences Offers A Challenge For The Individual Investor [View article]
    Alec2003 - I've been investing for over 40 years and found 2 area where I can avoid the majority of the Big Boys
    1 - Stocks under $19
    2- Market Caps under $1 billion

Because of issues of scale you can invest there safely
    Sep 12 07:54 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • CVB Financial - Small Cap [View article]
    That's why I use multiple technical indicators to follow all my stocks and decide when to bail
    Jul 22 02:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • CVB Financial - Small Cap [View article]
    I seek alpha by choosing the stock that had the most frequent advances in the past month.
    Jul 19 12:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • CVB Financial - Small Cap [View article]
    On 7/20 I submitted this as a Small Cap Insight when the stock was at 12.46 -- and was turned down - It's now at 13.32 -- did you miss 7% in less than a week?
    Jul 18 02:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thermogensis - Undiscovered Small Cap [View instapost]
    I only featured the stock to show how good stock screening can find opportunities you can'r find through other methods. This might be a stock that you should buy a couple of thousand shares and wait to see what happens
    Jun 28 10:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Xcel Energy - Barchart's Chart Of The Day [View instapost]
    works on my computer
    Apr 30 07:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Bristol-Myers Squibb On The Pullback [View article]
    I like to let profits run until the is momentum weakness.
    Apr 15 08:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Bristol-Myers Squibb On The Pullback [View article]
    Define "above your acceptable level" please
    Apr 9 09:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Bristol-Myers Squibb On The Pullback [View article]
    I never use price targets on any stock but closely monitor the 50 day moving averages and watch if a stock drops 10% off its recent high. Using that criteria I think your exit might have been a little premature.

My goal is to have a portfolio of stocks that are all trading above their 20, 50 and 100 day moving averages -- That makes me a happy camper.
    Apr 8 04:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Bristol-Myers Squibb On The Pullback [View article]
    2.7% at present
    Apr 8 02:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Get Out Of Bonds! [View instapost]
    If you plan to hold every bond to maturity then no problem. Bad thing happen to good people so if a change in your financial plan might cause you to liquidate some bonds you never know what you net will be,

On you comment on timing strategies - I have found the 50/100 day MACD Oscillator to be a very good timing device for overall market moves.

My personal sell discipline of 10% or the 50 day moving average on individual holdings has proven over time to be very effective
    Apr 3 11:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment