Supertel Hospitality Inc. May Be A Speculative Trade, Not An Investment Right Now
- New CEO a positive development.
- Challenges still remain including liquidity risks and improving but below industry comps.
- Deferred cumulative preferred stock dividends limit common stocks appeal as a true investment.
- Short-term and longer-horizon speculative opportunities exist however.
Scenarios On Why I Just Went Long On American Realty Capital Properties
- Rudyard Kipling's advice about keeping your head, loosely paraphrased, seems to apply here.
- Is this one of those times when its possible to buy good companies at good to great prices? I think so.
- Forecasting scenarios that could play out gave me the confidence to establish a small position in ARCP this week.
A Tale Of 2 Self-Advised Hotel REITs
- Hotel-focused REITs have rebounded as business and leisure travel continues to strengthen.
- Single industry-focused REITs can be a good investment but carry unique risks.
- Portfolio quality and brand placement are key items to research before investing.
- As with any REIT (and company for that matter), management performance is critical.
Periodic Portfolio Review And Adjustments: Limiting Losses And Buying 'On Sale'
- Volatility has returned with a vengeance creating both risk and opportunity.
- Despite best intentions, I have fallen victim to emotions and "Falling in love with a stock". Having sell discipline is critical as always.
- Some dividend champions are "on sale" due to larger market sentiment and over-reactions.
Another Over-Reaction-Was That 15% Or 1.5%?
- Groupon stock fell 15% last week when revenue missed by 1.5%.
- Improvements across most operating sectors bode well.
- Could there be a renewed "romance" between Groupon and Google?
This Self-Directed Hospitality REIT Isn't So 'Super'
- Supertel Hospitality is a self-directed economy and mid-scale hotel REIT.
- Large negatives abound despite drastic measures in 2013.
- Don't be fooled by cheap price and "phantom" yield stock screens may bring up.
Continued Solid Performance From The Monthly Dividend Company
- I was able to attend Realty Income Corporation's Annual Shareholders Meeting today.
- John Case and senior management continues to improve tenant quality.
- Dividend continues to grow and is "comfortably covered" by AFFO.
This Quarter's Third Avenue Funds Report And Prospectus Review
- Third Avenue continues disciplined investing across their five funds.
- Martin Whitman's Quarterly Letter discusses public and private credit-worthiness with candor and humor.
- "Active Share" succinctly defined and applied to Third Avenue Value Fund and family of funds by extension.
- This quarter I focus on the Small-Cap Value Fund and some fund holdings.
Lands' End: A Contrary View
- Lands' End recently spun off from Sears Holdings.
- Lands' End paid a $500m dividend to SHLD prior to the spin-off. This, among other factors, will handicap the company going forward.
- CEO Eddie Lampert still controls Lands' End and has a less than promising retail track record.
- Many nautical terms and metaphors such as "anchors" apply to this spin-off.
Groupon Valuation Estimates Using Graham Formula
- Graham's growth stock formula must be modified to value Groupon.
- Rosy forecasts show potential for profit in Groupon stock late in 2015 or 2016.
- Large variance in estimates and opinions make this a risky proposition.
Hersha: Still A Sweet Opportunity For Yield And Growth
- Hersha Hospitality Trust making moves to focus properties to meet company goals.
- Recently announced dividend continues to provide solid yield.
- Common stock and preferred stocks all attractive to the yield seeking investor with capital gain potential.
- Cal Dive International: Turnaround Or Resource Conversion Likely
- A Look At Third Avenue Funds Annual Report, October 2013
- Polaris: Can This Star Keep Rising?
- Which Do You Prefer?
- Good Times For A Change: Spot Tanker Rates
- Thinking About Groupon Between Quarterly Reports
- Harley-Davidson Valued For Near Perfect Execution In 2014
- Hersha Hospitality Trust: Move Quickly To Capture 7.4% Annual Yield
- Big 5 Sporting Goods: Cautious Long Conducts Investment Analysis By Walking Around
- Groupon: Ahead Of Itself, An Investment Trap, Or Both?