John Dowdee

View John Dowdee's Comments BY TICKER:
    MedGuy,
    You are correct, the distribution numbers do not include the NAV decrease. However, the Excess Mu number on the plots represent total return and include price increased (or decreases) plus the distributions received. So when I said total return I was referring to "Excess Mu", not the distributions. Thank for the comment.
    Jan 26, 2015. 11:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Diversified, High-Income Bond Portfolio For 2015 [View article]
    The data I provided was "total return" so it included share losses over the periods (but also included the income that an investor would receive).
    Jan 26, 2015. 08:54 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Diversified, High-Income Bond Portfolio For 2015 [View article]

The reference should have said http://www.dividend.com, not div.com. Sorry for the confusion.
    Jan 25, 2015. 07:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Diversified, High-Income Bond Portfolio For 2015 [View article]
    Thanks for the comment and insights about NQM. I did not include municipals in my analysis but I agree that this looks like a good fund with a high yield.
    Jan 25, 2015. 07:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Diversified, High-Income Bond Portfolio For 2015 [View article]
    A number of sites have the dividend history (http://bit.ly/o4ngfR and http://www.div.com). However, I don't any site that predicts when a fund might change its dividend. You would need to keep abreast of the announcements from the fund. Good luck and thanks for the comment.
    Jan 25, 2015. 06:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Diversified, High-Income Bond Portfolio For 2015 [View article]
    I agree. Thanks for the comment.
    Jan 25, 2015. 04:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Diversified, High-Income Bond Portfolio For 2015 [View article]
    Thanks for your comments and insights. I agree that maintaining a stream of income is very important for retirees.
    Jan 25, 2015. 04:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Diversified, High-Income Bond Portfolio For 2015 [View article]
    You are welcome. Thanks for the comment and I will be sure to FFC when I write about preferred CEFs.
    Jan 25, 2015. 01:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Diversified, High-Income Bond Portfolio For 2015 [View article]
    The book is currently available only in an electronic version. I plan to publish a print version but it will be later in the year.
    Jan 25, 2015. 09:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Diversified, High-Income Bond Portfolio For 2015 [View article]
    There is no "load", like you might pay in load mutual funds. The CEFs trade just like stocks so you only have to pay the normal stock commission and the bid-ask spread.

Yes, many CEFs cut distributions in 2008. For a particular CEF, you can find the distribution history since inception on http://bit.ly/o4ngfR.

Thanks for your comments.
    Jan 24, 2015. 07:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Diversified, High-Income Bond Portfolio For 2015 [View article]
    I use price since this is what you actually pay and receive when you trade.
    Jan 24, 2015. 07:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Diversified, High-Income Bond Portfolio For 2015 [View article]
    Thank you for your comment and suggestion. I will write an article on preferred CEFs in the near future. You may also be interested in my website (its free) and my new book on Amazon.
    Jan 24, 2015. 05:16 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Diversified, High-Income Bond Portfolio For 2015 [View article]
    Good data on the composition of HYG and the performance of NXR. Thanks for your comments and insights.
    Jan 24, 2015. 04:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Diversified, High-Income Bond Portfolio For 2015 [View article]
    I agree with your sentiment. Thanks for the comment.
    Jan 24, 2015. 04:05 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Diversified, High-Income Bond Portfolio For 2015 [View article]
    To get a handle on floating rate loans, you may be interested in my article available at:

If interest rates begin to rise, then bond funds will be under pressure but CEFs are actively managed so hopefully the managers will exercise some risk management techniques. I now see some predictions that rates may not rise until 2016. We will have to wait and see. Thanks for your comments.
    Jan 24, 2015. 02:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment