John Gaats

View John Gaats' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why I'm Closing Some Asian Positions [View article]
    I sold my China holding (FXI) not because something had changed in China. But because the bet that it offers a safe haven away from credit cruch and subprime was wrong. We punish ADRs harder here. My PKX holding is crying now. I don't want to this one on the same day. In the last ten days, my ADRs perform worse than big financials.
    Aug 10 10:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Toll Bros. Forecasts Another Brutal Quarter [View article]
    I am biting my nails about my home builders holding.
    Aug 10 10:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Survive the Market Sinkhole [View article]
    I just sold my China holding: FXI. You think it is not related to subprime or credit cruch. But this one is among badly punished (I don't know for what). My concern is that even worse lost can happen if I keep holding. I hope that brave heart can profit from it later on. Man, this is bad.
    Aug 10 10:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Still Too Early To Buy Stocks Battered By Credit Woes [View article]
    Bruce Merrifield mentioned that the sell off was contrived. Could the latest buy in also be contrived. If so, we got something to worry about.
    Aug 9 11:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • President Bush Envisions a Soft Landing - What Does He Know? [View article]
    I was looking for lines like "There is nothing to fear except fear itself". He didn't say that. In fact, I woulddn't believe it even if he said that.
    Aug 9 11:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • All's Well In the Financial World Again, Which May Be Cause For Concern [View article]
    I am also confused by recent up swing of mortgage plays and home builders. My concern is that they might lose more if they actively buy back their stocks like that. However, I hope those were true market actions where down swing shocks will be absorbed by others.
    Aug 9 11:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Brokers Are The New Homebuilders - Forget The Bailouts [View article]
    The irrationality you mentioned also demonstrate itself when good manufacturing stocks drop more than brokerage stocks when Dow dips. The market also pinalizes emerging market stocks. This makes it harder to take a position, long or short.
    Aug 3 10:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Round-Up of Global Stock Market Performance [View article]
    If you look beyond the index. You will find that stock price contains policy. Mortgage lenders are up today. oil and gas are down. US auto makers are up for most of the year. Toyota are down most of the time. If we can confirm the invisiable hand, then it is time to get out of the market.
    Aug 3 10:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dow Continues To Outperform the S&P 500, Almost All Sectors Oversold [View article]
    The joke around here is that the trading floors have been taken over by aliens. They need time to figure out which ones are related to subprime/credit crunch. For now, all they know is to sell because they need cash for the summer vacation.
    Jul 27 12:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time For Investors To Put Cash In The Bank? [View article]
    More than 400 points lost. And the index is still falling. However, there is not much credible source to explain it. I am not picking on you. I hava not seen any good explanation on the Canadian side. May be this is just a U.S. led market free fall.
    Jul 25 11:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pimco Chief Bill Gross: 5-10% Correction May Be Ahead [View article]
    I went to the pimco web site to read bill gross's article. This is second time around since his hooker article. I find this one hard to understand. His previous article was about complaining bad rating work. What about this one? Any way, he is more passonate about his point and less about presenting more evidences. Please enlighten me.
    Jul 25 11:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Schlumberger Beats As Strong International Operations Offset N. American Weakness [View article]
    Finally, there are some oil concerns come out show their earnings. Oil related (especially refineries) have been so beaten up even though crude price is rising. As a matter of fact, the more the curde rises, the more depressed refineries are. I guess this is a good market response to the subprime thing.
    Jul 20 01:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ConocoPhillips: Grit Your Teeth and Sell [View article]
    What do you do when you sell the energy stocks? You can save it in a lock box and sleep really well. Or you could buy some other stocks that are not artificially depressed.
    Jul 20 01:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Corporate Spending Headed for a Slowdown? [View article]
    Good. I will read your future articles. Be sure to attract more members.
    Jul 12 01:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Closed-End Funds Don't Work for Most Investors [View article]
    Has anyone tested the profitablity of a contraian investment with CEFs. Are CEFs always traded below NAVs?
    Jul 9 10:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment