John H. Ford

View John H. Ford's Comments BY TICKER:
  • USell: Why This $2 Stock Should Be Trading Above $6 Today [View instapost]
    You're absolutely right, you can get more on eBay, but when you subtract eBay's and PayPal's commissions, postage and packaging, the profit factor diminishes. When you look at uSells 40% year-over-year growth, and the 70% month over month increase in orders placed, you can see that a lot of consumers are choosing the easier approach with uSell, rather than going through the hassle of dealing with eBay. I've done it both ways, and I will continue to sell items on uSell.
    Sep 22 10:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Marathon Update: Shareprice Could Double Again [View instapost]
    Karen. I am still long Finjan and plan on speaking with the CEO within the next few days, and will update everyone if relevant information is discovered. With 3 near-term Markman's, the catalyst potential is good.
    Sep 18 02:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • USell: Why This $2 Stock Should Be Trading Above $6 Today [View instapost]
    The most accurate way to value a company is based on revenue, growth rate, and balance sheet data. uSell's fundamentals are strong, and we have no way of knowing how this intrinsic value was calculated, or whether or not it included all current pertinent data. Much of a prospectus comes from a legal perspective, not an investment perspective, so I generally disregard most of what I read in a prospectus. I haven't looked into warrant trading, but I would be surprised if there is any trading activity at all. Your broker could probably give you a clear answer.
    Sep 18 09:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google's And Facebook's Drone Investments Make Drone Aviation My Top Pick [View instapost]
    bobazilla

You’re absolutely correct. If an author is paid to write an analysis, the author is required by law to disclose the exact nature of the compensation. Here’s the relevant section from the securities act of 1933:

SEC 17b
    SECURITIES ACT OF 1933
    (b) It shall be unlawful for any person, by the use of any means or instruments of transportation or communication in interstate commerce or by the use of the mails, to publish, give publicity to, or circulate any notice, circular, advertisement, newspaper, article, letter, investment service, or communication which, though not purporting to offer a security for sale, describes such security for a consideration received or to be received, directly or indirectly, from an issuer, underwriter, or dealer, without fully disclosing the receipt, whether past or prospective, of such consideration and the amount thereof.

Here is a link if you want more detail about the securities act of 1933:

Section 17 b is great because it allows investors to determine which authors are being paid, and which authors are simply voicing their own opinion. As you probably know, Seeking Alpha prohibits authors from being paid by companies for writing articles, even with disclosure. Wise decision on Seeking Alpha's part.
    Sep 8 11:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I think the quad copter release could generate orders from areas that we have not yet predicted. I like this product and think it will be well received in the commercial sector as well as the military. My understanding is that build time is not an issue.
    Sep 8 11:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Normally a 15% gain within a couple of hours would be considered a good return. However, I expected considerably more. With a float of 2.7 million shares, and 10 million shares trading within 3 days, the stock should have been trading well above $2.

What happened? The selling pressure was beyond anything I have seen. A similar level of selling happened right after I published my 22nd Century article, but in that case investors were rewarded, because once the selling concluded, the share price went from $1 to $6.

What could I have done different? The biggest mistake I made was publishing the article after the share price had risen over 100%. The stock had recently been trading at $.50, and that would have been the time to publish the article. I went ahead and published anyway because I believed the positive aspects would mitigate the recent run-up in share price. I was wrong! While I do not know where the selling came from, and that was an element I had no control over, I can control when I published future articles. My goal at this point will be to publish at the bottom, not after a stock is doubled.
    Sep 6 11:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Isoray: A Perfect Acquisition For Johnson & Johnson Or Pfizer [View article]
    No updates. But I haven't spoken to the CEO and a couple of months.
    Jul 4 08:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Insmed's new deal [View instapost]
    Yes it worked out well, but as is often the case, it took a while.
    May 8 10:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Finjan Could Go From $6 To $15 [View article]
    IP Hawk. You are right about more shares becoming tradable, but it will happen gradually.

Once the S1 goes effective, 10% of the shares registered in the S1 can be sold every month. This will gradually increase the float above the current 2 million share level. But, at the same time this will generate much-needed liquidity. If an institution wanted to buy 500,000, or 1 million shares today, it would not be possible because the shares are just not available on the open market.

But most of the large shareholders are on the board of directors, and I think we can safely assume that board members will not be sellers. From what I understand, only 35% of the outstanding shares could be sold, and of that, only 10% can be sold per month. So, only 3 1/2% of the outstanding shares could be sold every month. This will bring shares onto the market gradually, which in my opinion was a good strategy on Finjan's part.
    Jan 23 11:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Opko's Billionaire CEO Invested In ChromaDex [View article]
    For those of you who are not familiar with Seeking Alpha’s policy, authors are prohibited from receiving compensation (other than from Seeking Alpha). Seeking Alpha was wise in establishing this policy early on. Just to be clear, I have received no compensation for writing this article.

With reference to following successful investors, as some of my readers know, my early trading career was escalated as a result of focusing on companies backed by Silicon Valley venture capital firm, Institutional Venture Partners, (Netflix, Twitter, Oracle). IVP conducted a high level of due diligence, and by concentrating my investments in IVP companies, my returns increased dramatically.

I now focus on microcaps without VC backing because the return potential is greater, and the timeframe is considerably shorter. Even though I am primarily a trader, I conduct at least 100 hours of due diligence before initiating a position. This includes dozens of conference calls and meetings with management, board members, and opinion leaders. The lengthy due diligence process is necessary in order find undiscovered trades with reduced downside risk, and large upside potential. An important motivation for this lengthy due diligence process is the fact that all the companies that I write about, are companies in which have a position.

With regards to investing in companies that Barry Honig or Dr. Frost have invested in, I only wish that I had begun investing in these companies years earlier. For example, I would have preferred to initiate my position in Opko when it was trading at $.34, rather than $4.
    Dec 6 03:41 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • $6 Million Biotech Should Provide A Short-term Double [View instapost]
    I'm still long uSell. I was surprised at that jump in share price also. I recommend you look deeply into this company, and please share what you discover. I have been doing the same.
    Nov 15 09:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • $6 Million Biotech Should Provide A Short-term Double [View instapost]
    With regards to Oculus, the big catalyst is the Ruthigen IPO. It could happen as early as September, but all is dependent on whether or not investors are interested in buying into the IPO. If not, Ruthigen will have to do a private financing, which would not be as beneficial to Oculus shareholders. The primary benefit would be a significant reduction of cost structure, which could bring Oculus to profitability. But with the company's most recent revenue numbers, and greatly reduced guidance, even that comes into question at this point.

The other catalyst could be FDA approval of the scar product. This also could happen as early as September, if everything goes according to plan. But with the FDA, that rarely happens.
    Jul 11 11:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • $6 Million Biotech Should Provide A Short-term Double [View instapost]
    I'm waiting for a couple of events to occur before releasing the article, and as of right now it looks like I will release the article in September. By waiting until September, this should provide investors with an even stronger asymmetrical trade, as positive events in this sector and within the company continue to multiply.
    Jul 10 12:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Marijuana Stocks And Legalization - The Complex Relationship [View article]
    Good article! You bring up the most important point regarding all these companies: on a federal level, marijuana is illegal. Investors are hoping that the federal laws will change soon, but in my opinion, we are at least 10 years away from federal legalization of marijuana. Realistically, it may never happen. The average soccer mom just doesn't want her kids to have easy access to the drug.

You are correct, at any time the federal government could shut down many of these businesses and confiscate all assets. That level of risk will not change anytime soon. I shorted MedBox at $96, and believe the company will ultimately go below one dollar.
    May 1 08:20 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is MGT About To Receive A Big Settlement? [View article]
    I have made some changes in this article to improve its accuracy and simplicity. Thank you Seeking Alpha readers for helping me to make this a better article.
    Apr 15 03:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment