John Hampson

View John Hampson's Comments BY TICKER:
  • GRID: The Sun Storm ETF Play [View article]
    Understand how geomagnetic storms influences stocks and commodities:

Mar 12 11:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • End of the Secular Commodities Bull Market? [View article]
    You can now follow me at http://solarcycles.net - formerly amalgamator.co.uk
    Feb 15 11:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stock Market Tug of War [View article]
    Thanks Thomas. I will be revamping the website at the end of the year and will look into adding that.
    Jun 13 03:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stock Market Tug of War [View article]
    Thanks also
    Jun 9 11:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stock Market Tug of War [View article]
    Thanks
    Jun 9 10:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stock Market Tug of War [View article]
    Hello all,

This is my last article for Seeking Alpha as I don't feel there is a good fit between SA's focus on fundamentals alone, and my approach which unites technicals, cycles, senitment, seasonals etc along with fundamentals. SA isn't keen on publishing articles that focus more on these other disciplines, but I don't want to narrow my scope. Those who wish to read my work can find me at amalgamator.co.uk. I wish the site and its readers all the best.

John
    Jun 9 08:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Implications of the Fed Supporting Both Growth and Inflation [View article]
    Pseudogrowth it may be, but it drives stocks and commodities to higher prices, which is what I'm interested in as a trader.

Re shadowstats gdp, clearly gdp data lags, and leading indicators (ecri, conference board, bloom fc, stock market, money supply, manufacturing data) all point to acceleration, so I expect their alt data to turn positive, once the data comes in.
    Apr 28 09:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solar Activity and the Financial Markets [View instapost]
    Hi MJE

I cover that issue of 'better detection' rather than 'more occurences' for natural phenomena here:

amalgamator.co.uk/10Na...

In short, it can only be partially accountable.

US civil war - yes, 1860 was a solar peak.

And yes, the data suggests rising pro-action, demonstration and conflict alongside rising commodity prices and inflation into 2013, so I too expect a feedback loop between the two.

All the best

John
    Apr 13 03:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Crude Oil Price Drivers [View article]
    Perhaps it came across as a little dismissive of a key issue. I have studied peak oil and am aware of the timeline. My point is that on EIA forecasts we are only going to approach the lower end of historical crude inventories by the end of next year, so as a near term price driver that slack is a depressant.

Regarding sunspots I assume that it's field you haven't studied otherwise you wouldn't be so quick to disregard it.
    Apr 13 02:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bull Market Continues to Impress; Mild Correction Could Be in the Offing [View article]
    Hi JD, I look out for your articles. Don't think we're too far apart. amalgamator.co.uk/2011...
    Apr 8 03:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Leading Stock Market Indicators and Tipping Points [View article]
    You're right Charlie, it's kind of a duplication on the oil/dollar. My thinking was serious dollar breakdown - surge into commodities - oil kills.

Somehow between subtmitting my article and it being published by SA point 7 has been moved up - it should be the first one under leading indicators.
    Mar 24 11:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Leading Stock Market Indicators and Tipping Points [View article]
    Stock market historian, Russell Napier. But I'm totally with you on that point - makes it difficult to compare. That's why I made it a watch item despite USA and Europe 'officially' some way below the threshold.
    Mar 24 10:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • U.S. Dollar: Breakdown or Reversal? [View article]
    A problem with publishing - the final paragraph "So what about.....rhyme of the 1970s" should lie inbetween the USD-JPY chart and the Dollar Spot Index / 1970s chart.
    Mar 21 10:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stock Indices Buying Opportunity [View article]
    Interesting stat, thanks
    Mar 18 03:52 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • End of the Secular Commodities Bull Market? [View article]
    Absolutely, Q ratio and real (inflation ajusted) P/es have to fall to give us a convincing secular bottom in equities, and I track both on my site, as well as regression to trend. I repeat my comment above that I expect a cyclical stocks bear to follow the current cyclical stocks bull to end this secular stocks bear, which I expect to give us a higher nominal low than March 2009 but a lower real (inflation adjusted) low.
    Mar 9 01:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment