John Lott

View John Lott's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Geokinetics: 2 Key Dates Coming Up [View article]
    Depends on your broker. Some might not allow you to hold a private equity position. If so, you should get paperwork to the address listed on your account and you will get an annual k-1, etc.

As for timing, I was going to call the company but have not gotten around to it yet. I would expect within 90 days.
    Jun 5, 2013. 09:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Global Geophysical Services: Too Much Risk, No Free Cash Flow [View article]
    I have been buying the GGS 2017 bonds when they were yielding around 15%. They shot up over 9 points today - biggest move in a bond I have had in a long time - and they still yield 13%!!

CUSIP is 37946SAB3. I like following the bonds of speculative equities I am watching.
    Apr 25, 2013. 07:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Yahoo's Recent Pullback Offers Investors A Great Entry Point [View article]
    Thanks for the time you spent on this article. Very helpful.
    Apr 24, 2013. 11:33 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Not As Cheap As You Think [View article]
    emano - good catch on MA - you are correct - chart is monthly and therefore 50 month MA.
    Apr 24, 2013. 10:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Not As Cheap As You Think [View article]
    Thanks for your comment richbar. The trick in CAPM is g as you have pointed out. That trick is even trickier when the rate of change is changing rapidly such as the case with AAPL.

One other thing that I didn't mention in the article that I am concerned about is if the company starts to lose key talent and they resort to increased option grants to attract/retain stars.
    Apr 24, 2013. 09:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Not As Cheap As You Think [View article]
    There is a huge difference between Spotify's growth rate (and more importantly the change in growth rate) and AAPLs. If you find no value in what I have provided don't use it.
    Apr 24, 2013. 09:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Not As Cheap As You Think [View article]
    Mercury - Thanks for your comments. I don't disagree with you that P/E or DCF may be more appropriate (for instance, operating cash flow is still extremely strong for Apple, although slowing).

When I started preparing for this article I was sure that I was going to wind up saying "now is the time to buy" but I was surprised to see how low the stock traded as a multiple of book over its history. That being said, I don't think it is over-valued either.
    Apr 24, 2013. 07:40 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Advanced Micro Devices - Sittin,' Waitin,' Wishin' [View article]
    Thanks dwd. I have been watching AAPL very closely. Doing my research now - should have an article soon.
    Apr 20, 2013. 08:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Good-Yielding Dividend Stocks To Beat The Market [View article]
    Enjoyed the article - thanks.
    Apr 18, 2013. 11:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Advanced Micro Devices - Sittin,' Waitin,' Wishin' [View article]
    dwd - no, not the ma. Look at where the Dec 21 and Dec 28 candle bottomed: $2.25. The thing I am paying attention to now is if we hold 2.40 again.
    Apr 17, 2013. 08:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • J.C. Penney Bond Update [View article]
    I am certainly not willing to bet on a sale which is why I have sold my bonds.

Here is the link to the Bloomberg article:

Apr 9, 2013. 02:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Advanced Micro Devices - Sittin,' Waitin,' Wishin' [View article]
    Look at this chart and look at the blue horizontal line.

Apr 9, 2013. 08:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Advanced Micro Devices - Sittin,' Waitin,' Wishin' [View article]
    2.25 was a critical level on the chart and it held, albeit with some help. I actually went long the bonds today. The equity moved too far, too fast for me. I will watch it for a while and see what happens next.
    Apr 8, 2013. 05:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ring The Bell In Cincinnati [View article]
    I completely agree. I typically price to downside scenario. Thanks!
    Apr 8, 2013. 03:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Geokinetics: 2 Key Dates Coming Up [View article]
    I bought them to hold them when they convert. Please realize that they are converting into a private security and will not be listed. So, if you need the liquidity, sell them. If you can ride it out, I think there is upside in the equity from where you sit now. Hope this helps.
    Apr 8, 2013. 02:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment