John Lott

View John Lott's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Advanced Micro Devices - Sittin,' Waitin,' Wishin' [View article]
    I agree with the premise that customers want alternatives. Said slightly differently, what I have observed in a number of industries, is that participants have a vested interest in sourcing from multiple suppliers.
    Apr 5 09:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Advanced Micro Devices - Sittin,' Waitin,' Wishin' [View article]
    AMD is a popular algo security (high volume/high volatility) and it is also in the Russell 3000.
    Apr 3 09:19 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Advanced Micro Devices - Sittin,' Waitin,' Wishin' [View article]
    To me, the $2.40 level was important and AMD failed to close above it yesterday. I think $2.00 is unlikely in a week without news or broad market sell-off. However, selling down into $2.25 level looks possible. I am not short AMD, nor do I intend to be.
    Apr 3 09:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Advanced Micro Devices - Sittin,' Waitin,' Wishin' [View article]
    Yes to your question on GloFo. As it relates to Q3/Q4 positive cash flow. The cash flow break-even was in management's Q1 2013 investor presentation.

My view is that the bond market is starting to price in that they believe they will hit their cash flow numbers but the equity market has not priced in cash flow break-even in 2H2013.

Hope this helps clarify my point of view.
    Apr 3 08:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ring The Bell In Cincinnati [View article]
    Shares are convertible. Conversion ratio is .02884 / conversion price of $28.84
    Apr 2 12:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Diversify Your Income Streams With A Single ETF [View article]
    Mpyre - I agree that 1.73% is exceedingly high. CVY is a much more reasonable .77%.
    Mar 31 01:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Ring The Bell In Cincinnati [View article]
    Cumulative and definitely not investment grade.

Downside = they do not execute on monetizing CONE position and lowering CapEx, they may be required to pay div in common shares.

Upside = if they do execute, the shares return to liquidation value and you earn .84 a share/quarter along the way.

The other thing I do not mention in the article is if they get bought, the shares would be at the top of the equity waterfall and receive the full liq pref. I typically view those circumstances as speculative and ignore for analysis but it is worth mentioning.
    Mar 31 11:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Is Attractive Here [View article]
    Thank you - that is what makes a market!

Cheers
    Mar 31 09:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chiquita Is Not So Bonita [View article]
    satyr - thanks very much for your comments. One of the things that I enjoy about the SA community is the quality of the commentary. A couple of clarifications related to your comments.

The reason I mentioned liquidation is not that I expect one but any time that I look at company, particularly a high yield bond that traded deep into the 70's, I look at a potential liquidation to see how good the asset coverage is. In this case it is particularly important because there is no EBITDA coverage and cash from operations is also negative.

One area that we agree on is a potential sale if the turn-around doesn't take shape. However, my experience is that if potential suitors smell trouble, they wait. I think you are correct that PE might be the most likely suitor.

For me, the bottom line is that the equity is trading at a discount to book, the bonds are trading at a discount and, in my view, they are more likely to move down than back to par. But, as they say, only time will tell.
    Mar 26 11:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chiquita Is Not So Bonita [View article]
    Thanks Leon - which brands do you like in the industry?
    Mar 26 05:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chiquita Is Not So Bonita [View article]
    Funny - especially the kind you put in cans.
    Mar 26 04:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Is Attractive Here [View article]
    Below you will find a link to a free options guide that will walk you through the basics. A couple of things to consider first:

When I wrote this article, I was writing it from the perspective of a new entry. If you have been long for INTC for years you may have significant unrealized gains/losses that you may wish to time depending on your personal tax situation. Depending on your situation, this impact may far outweigh the benefit of the additional yield. When in doubt, check with your tax accountant.

Here is the options guide: http://bit.ly/tqOttt
    It is a good starting place. See the article on "covered calls" to read about what I was referring to in the article.

Thanks for reading.
    Mar 26 11:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Elon Musk's Big Mistake: A Tweet [View article]
    It is an interesting legal question. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. That being said I can't help but be a little satirical. Clearly, not everyone has cable tv or the internet. Some people don't even have iPhones or Bloomberg terminals. Hard to imagine.
    Mar 25 09:50 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Is Attractive Here [View article]
    you are correct - its called beta
    Mar 25 05:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Is Attractive Here [View article]
    Thanks Doug - I think the rising book value, dividend and reasonable option premiums make this an attractive hold and it provides a reasonable upside potential to boot.
    Mar 25 03:40 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment