John M. Mason

View John M. Mason's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • China The Impressive: A Personal View [View article]
    Ben Gee:
    What you say, I believe, is very important.
    May 28 12:03 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • China The Impressive: A Personal View [View article]
    I'll say one thing about the 3 Gorges Dam...it is very impressive. Fantastic boat cruise there!
    May 28 12:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bond Market After Labor Day [View article]
    Frank:
    I don't see any party doing anything much with the deficit. It is remarkable to think back to the late 1990s and the fact that the federal government was running a surplus. As one friend said about Bill Clinton..."the best Republican President we have had in a long time!"
    But, for the most part, since 1961 both parties have been culprits behind the creation of "credit inflation." To me, our current dilemma is the result of both sides of the aisle.
    John
    Aug 30 04:39 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • American Economic History in Perspective: 'Freefall: America, Free Markets, and the Sinking of the World Economy,' by Joseph E. Stiglitz [View article]
    d4winds:
    You certainly have not read many of my blog posts if you believe the last sentence you wrote.
    Mase
    Jan 24 01:49 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • In the Commercial Banking Sector, No Green Shoots Yet [View article]
    Also, by-the-way glendokid...
    where did you get the 749B in the article? I referred to $743.9 billion in the article, but that was for excess reserves in the banking system and not cash assets, which totaled $958.7 billion July 15 2009. And, where did you get the 340 billion in cash assets since the figure in the post is $320 billion. The $320 billion was the average for June 2008. The average for May 2008 was $309.1 billion and the numbers for other months around then were very similar.
    Bottom line...I have no idea where you are getting your numbers from. I am getting mine from the Federal Reserve release H.8.
    Aug 1 09:46 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Future Of Banking... Once Again [View article]
    Bret Maverick, on hearing the statement "You can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time..." replied..."Those are pretty good odds!"

:-)
    Aug 11 05:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Second Half Economic Outlook: Should I Change My Forecast? Part II [View article]
    Funny, many others have commented on how pessimistic I am...and have been over the past five years.
    Jul 18 07:33 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Good Luck Satya! Good Luck Microsoft! [View article]
    I apologize for the misspelling...It in Mr. Nadella.

Mr. Nadella,
    Mr. Nadella,
    Mr. Nadella,
    Mr. Nadella,
    Mr. Nadell...

I don't think I am pessimistic...I just want Microsoft's stock to perform well.
    Feb 4 11:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Stock Market And The Economy: Warren Buffett [View article]
    No...Mr. Buffett just argues that the market may be overvalued...or, undervalued...and one should not use the stage of the stock market as a major criteria for choosing an investment. Investments need to be made on their own merits whether or not stock prices, in general, are high or low.
    Oct 14 04:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Investors Beware: There Is Something Called Interest Rate Risk [View article]
    Schmiddy:
    Good point!

:-)

John
    Jul 22 12:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • U.S. Treasury Bond Yields: Are International Investors Crossing Into 'New Territory'? [View article]
    It doesn't mean that Europe is OK. It just means that "the international investment community continues to gain confidence that things are 'OK' in Europe."

To me, there is a difference.
    May 31 08:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • China The Impressive: A Personal View [View article]
    The work ethic is sure there. The evolution is taking place...there are lots of parts to it.
    May 28 07:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • China The Impressive: A Personal View [View article]
    Miriam:
    Thank you for your response.
    John
    May 28 06:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Book Review: 'The Leadership Economy: Why The World Economic System Fell Apart And How To Fix It' [View article]
    phil,
    You might take a look at the book reviewed in this book review; http://seekingalpha.co.... I learned a lot about what Keynes was trying to achieve and how he perceived how international trade fit into his world view. Keynes seemed to want "his" world isolated from others so that he...and the Bloomsbury crowd...could live the lives they wanted to. You could do this by keeping international trade to a minimum and then stimulate the economy to achieve full employment which would minimize the chance that there would be an internal revolution. Bloomsbury could then continue on as it had been.
    Apr 7 02:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Coming 'Rout' In U.S. Government Debt? [View article]
    The post is not contending there will be an increase in inflationary expectations. It says there will be an increase in funds flowing back into riskier bonds.
    Jan 31 10:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment