John M. Mason

View John M. Mason's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • U.S. Treasury Bond Yields: Are International Investors Crossing Into 'New Territory'? [View article]
    It doesn't mean that Europe is OK. It just means that "the international investment community continues to gain confidence that things are 'OK' in Europe."

To me, there is a difference.
    May 31, 2013. 08:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • China The Impressive: A Personal View [View article]
    The work ethic is sure there. The evolution is taking place...there are lots of parts to it.
    May 28, 2013. 07:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • China The Impressive: A Personal View [View article]
    Miriam:
    Thank you for your response.
    John
    May 28, 2013. 06:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Book Review: 'The Leadership Economy: Why The World Economic System Fell Apart And How To Fix It' [View article]
    phil,
    You might take a look at the book reviewed in this book review; http://seekingalpha.co.... I learned a lot about what Keynes was trying to achieve and how he perceived how international trade fit into his world view. Keynes seemed to want "his" world isolated from others so that he...and the Bloomsbury crowd...could live the lives they wanted to. You could do this by keeping international trade to a minimum and then stimulate the economy to achieve full employment which would minimize the chance that there would be an internal revolution. Bloomsbury could then continue on as it had been.
    Apr 7, 2013. 02:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Coming 'Rout' In U.S. Government Debt? [View article]
    The post is not contending there will be an increase in inflationary expectations. It says there will be an increase in funds flowing back into riskier bonds.
    Jan 31, 2013. 10:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Evolving Financial Institutions [View article]
    No, but be informed and agile. I have seen too many friends...and others...invest in what they thought were "good" banks either to be hit with "surprise" disclosures (hello 'whale') or unexpected downsizing and layoffs and such. I just am avoiding investing in banks at this time because of my concern that there are still too many hidden "bombshells" out there. I feel my time is better spent in industries and sectors that don't appear to have so many 'landmines.'

John
    Nov 9, 2012. 02:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • QE3 Up To This Point In Time [View article]
    Thanks, Chris (or is it Christopher). I went to the New York Fed site and found the information you have written about. I appreciate your calling this to my attention.
    John
    Nov 3, 2012. 04:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Global Recession: What To Invest In? [View article]
    pdtor:
    I think the lesson we are learning in this modern world is that we need to be knowledgable in several markets, patient, and agile.

One of the key lessons one can take from Schwager's books is that you may have a good and eventually 'correct' idea but you have to be patient and wait until others in the market 'care' about that idea. You may be right but if you move way too soon it does you little good.

Precious metals...yes, at the right time!

John
    Oct 10, 2012. 09:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Reading (And Partially Defending) Mr. Bernanke [View article]
    phil:
    I tend to connect the 1937-38 depression with Federal Reserve actions. At that time the Fed observed a substantial amount of excess reserves in the banking system. The Fed believed that these excess reserves were just "laying around" and "doing nothing." Unfortunately, the excess reserves were desired by the banks and a part of the efforts of the banks to remain solvent, prepared for any further bank runs. The Fed increased reserve requirements in order to absorb all this excess liquidity so that it could conduct its monetary policy more efficiently.

The banks, however, wanted excess reserves and so when reserve requirements were raised the commercial banks pulled back even further. This effort I connect with the 37-38 depression that followed.

Certainly, the disruptions resulting from labor unrest may have helped to make the situation much worse than it would have been.

John
    Sep 18, 2012. 10:59 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • No 'Need Or Desire' To Go To A Regular Bank [View article]
    Agree!
    John
    Sep 13, 2012. 01:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Banking System Has 44 Fewer Banks At The End Of Q2 [View article]
    Scooter-Pop:
    The data are not refined enough to determine the lending differences between the Regional Banks and the Community Banks. Financial statements from the banks themselves give some indication that Regional Banks are doing some lending...Community Banks less.

In terms of your last question...when the Fed pumps out money, it flows where ever...

So, if the Fed goes to a QE3 or whatever...a lot of the funds will go to Europe if the crisis continues. To change the situation, Mr. Bernanke would have to go and Mr. Romney has already indicated that he would not be Chairman if he were elected President.
    John
    Sep 10, 2012. 01:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Federal Reserve On The Eve Of Easing? [View article]
    Freddy:
    I have never believed that monetary stimulus has much impact on a real variable like unemployment.
    John
    Sep 5, 2012. 06:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Mr. Bernanke Has It Wrong [View article]
    Larry:
    I don't disagree with the substance of your comments. That is one reason why economics and finance are so interesting. We are dealing with the behavior of human beings and we are dealing with information that is substantially incomplete.

We still have to make judgments and determine what factors are the most relevant under a given situation. You can put up "good" arguments and disagree with some of my conclusions. We can talk about these things...but, they are still judgments. I appreciate getting your viewpoint. I will still stick with my reading.

As far as banks and bank lending go, the situations I have been involved in over the past two years lead me to believe that many banks still have many assets that are "underwater." With all the foreclosures and bankruptcies still taking place, with all the difficulty that commercial real estate is having "rolling over" their loans, many banks are still "on the edge." This is one reason I believe the Fed is keeping all the reserves in the banking system. It is true that loan demand is not strong, but...the Fed still has to accommodate the reduction in the number of banks in the banking system. This will continue for a while. John
    Sep 3, 2012. 11:30 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment