John McCoy

View John McCoy's Comments BY TICKER:
  • How Bank Of America's Dividend Yield Could Hit 3.1% Next Year [View article]
    Being long BAC, I'd like to see them strike a balance between buybacks and dividends. Both are important to shareholders, but with BAC shares outstanding at a ridiculous 10.5 billion, emphasis should be on buybacks. They need to get shares outstanding down and EPS up. Of course, on my $8.38 cost basis, my dividend yield % is going to be just fine anyway.
    Sep 8 07:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank Of America: Stage Set For Substantial Upside [View article]
    I agree with that Bret, $25 to $30 over the next 2 to 3 years, and hopefully paying out $1 to $1.25 per year in dividends. Not to bad on my $8 cost basis. Thanks for the article Bret!
    Sep 2 07:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Safe Large-Cap Blue-Chip Dividend Champions For Your Retirement Portfolios: Part 2 [View article]
    Chuck, thank you for yet another great article. Your 13 picks include a lot of my favorites - PH, SWK, MCD, XOM, and AFL.

I'm curious about what you think of DE, a stock I consider a blue chip with a strong competitive moat, shareholder friendly management, and currently very cheap and getting cheaper due to (relatively) short term headwinds.

I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts if you have the time. Thank you!
    Aug 27 07:32 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BofA reportedly settles mortgage claims for $17B [View news story]
    Agree 100%, and am VERY long BAC and JPM, along with BRK-B and MKL in the insurance space.
    Aug 20 05:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Berkshire Hathaway Inc. Class A Shares Set New Milestone [View article]
    Compared to where it will be in 10 years, it is down right now. This is a unique stock, and I'm not afraid to buy it right now at it's highs. I also recommend MKL, the best of the Berkshire wannabes in my opinion. Back the truck of on both stocks and forget about them for 10 or 20 years.
    Aug 14 04:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Markel Reports Second Quarter And Six-Months Results [View article]
    1.22 to book is close enough for me, I'm adding at this level.
    Aug 9 11:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Markel Reports Second Quarter And Six-Months Results [View article]
    Nice increase in BV for the first half! This stock just keeps chugging along. The best of the "mini" Berkshires, IMO.
    Aug 6 05:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank of America Corp declares $0.05 dividend [View news story]
    $4 B for the year.
    Aug 6 03:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank of America Corp declares $0.05 dividend [View news story]
    Actually, BAC will now yield approx 2.4% on my cost basis of $8.38, not great but right in the mix with the other banks, so I'm happy. Going forward, we should see continued dividend increases at least yearly for the forseeable future, which actually makes BAC a dividend growth stock. Crazy, huh?

I must admit that I'm disappointed that they dropped the buybacks, but they'll add that back in next spring. I can see BAC at $20 to $25 and paying $1 to $1.25 yearly dividend in 3-4 years. I'll wait, thank you.
    Aug 6 03:51 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Deere: Strong Brand With Long-Term Value [View article]
    DE is an iconic American company with wide moats in most of it's business segments, and competes in an industry that, despite short term headwinds, will continue to grow over the next few decades. Add to that the consistent dividend increases, large share buybacks, and a proven, shareholder friendly management, and DE represents a great addition to any long term portfolio.

I've been waiting quite a while for a chance to add DE to my portfolio, and at current valuation, the time is very near. Of course, this all assumes that Berkshire doesn't make DE it's next elephant. As a long term BRK holder, I'd welcome DE to my portfolio that way as well.

Great article, thank you.
    Aug 5 08:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Berkshire Hathaway reports Q2 results [View news story]
    I've been thinking DE, which is an iconic American company with a wide moat in most of it's business segments, and is currently on sale at about 9 x earnings due to short term headwinds. I' looking to go long DE myself, but I would gladly welcome it into my portfolio as part of the BRK family too.
    Aug 2 06:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Berkshire Hathaway reports Q2 results [View news story]
    Apple is a great example, as is Walmart (Sam Walton), or McDonalds (Ray Kroc). All of these great companies continued to grow and excel long after their revered founders passed away, and so will Berkshire.
    Aug 2 06:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Berkshire Hathaway reports Q2 results [View news story]
    Honestly, I wouldn't be suprised if Buffett leaves a massive buyback plan in place to take advantage of whatever dip his leaving/passing creates. That would be just like him!
    Aug 2 06:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Berkshire Hathaway reports Q2 results [View news story]
    In most cases that's true Mike, but Berkshire is slightly different. There are a LOT of people that become buyers as soon as they hear that Buffett is buying back shares. When Buffett repurchases, people listen.
    Aug 2 06:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Bank Of America Shareholders Might Be Missing [View article]
    No one doubts that Wells Fargo is currently a superior bank, but at current vauation, is it a superior investment? Sure, if we could time warp back to early 2009, we would probably all buy Wells, but we can't do that, can we? WFC is very close to being fully valued, whereas BAC still has plenty of room to grow, both in share price and in dividend yield. As you accuratley stated in comments on another article, it's now that counts, and right now, BAC is the better investment.
    Aug 1 11:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment