John McCoy

View John McCoy's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Berkshire Hathaway Inc. Class A Shares Set New Milestone [View article]
    Compared to where it will be in 10 years, it is down right now. This is a unique stock, and I'm not afraid to buy it right now at it's highs. I also recommend MKL, the best of the Berkshire wannabes in my opinion. Back the truck of on both stocks and forget about them for 10 or 20 years.
    Aug 14 04:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Markel Reports Second Quarter And Six-Months Results [View article]
    1.22 to book is close enough for me, I'm adding at this level.
    Aug 9 11:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Markel Reports Second Quarter And Six-Months Results [View article]
    Nice increase in BV for the first half! This stock just keeps chugging along. The best of the "mini" Berkshires, IMO.
    Aug 6 05:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank of America Corp declares $0.05 dividend [View news story]
    $4 B for the year.
    Aug 6 03:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank of America Corp declares $0.05 dividend [View news story]
    Actually, BAC will now yield approx 2.4% on my cost basis of $8.38, not great but right in the mix with the other banks, so I'm happy. Going forward, we should see continued dividend increases at least yearly for the forseeable future, which actually makes BAC a dividend growth stock. Crazy, huh?

I must admit that I'm disappointed that they dropped the buybacks, but they'll add that back in next spring. I can see BAC at $20 to $25 and paying $1 to $1.25 yearly dividend in 3-4 years. I'll wait, thank you.
    Aug 6 03:51 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Deere: Strong Brand With Long-Term Value [View article]
    DE is an iconic American company with wide moats in most of it's business segments, and competes in an industry that, despite short term headwinds, will continue to grow over the next few decades. Add to that the consistent dividend increases, large share buybacks, and a proven, shareholder friendly management, and DE represents a great addition to any long term portfolio.

I've been waiting quite a while for a chance to add DE to my portfolio, and at current valuation, the time is very near. Of course, this all assumes that Berkshire doesn't make DE it's next elephant. As a long term BRK holder, I'd welcome DE to my portfolio that way as well.

Great article, thank you.
    Aug 5 08:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Berkshire Hathaway reports Q2 results [View news story]
    I've been thinking DE, which is an iconic American company with a wide moat in most of it's business segments, and is currently on sale at about 9 x earnings due to short term headwinds. I' looking to go long DE myself, but I would gladly welcome it into my portfolio as part of the BRK family too.
    Aug 2 06:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Berkshire Hathaway reports Q2 results [View news story]
    Apple is a great example, as is Walmart (Sam Walton), or McDonalds (Ray Kroc). All of these great companies continued to grow and excel long after their revered founders passed away, and so will Berkshire.
    Aug 2 06:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Berkshire Hathaway reports Q2 results [View news story]
    Honestly, I wouldn't be suprised if Buffett leaves a massive buyback plan in place to take advantage of whatever dip his leaving/passing creates. That would be just like him!
    Aug 2 06:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Berkshire Hathaway reports Q2 results [View news story]
    In most cases that's true Mike, but Berkshire is slightly different. There are a LOT of people that become buyers as soon as they hear that Buffett is buying back shares. When Buffett repurchases, people listen.
    Aug 2 06:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Bank Of America Shareholders Might Be Missing [View article]
    No one doubts that Wells Fargo is currently a superior bank, but at current vauation, is it a superior investment? Sure, if we could time warp back to early 2009, we would probably all buy Wells, but we can't do that, can we? WFC is very close to being fully valued, whereas BAC still has plenty of room to grow, both in share price and in dividend yield. As you accuratley stated in comments on another article, it's now that counts, and right now, BAC is the better investment.
    Aug 1 11:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • High-Yielding JPMorgan Needs To Yield More For Me Then I'll Consider It [View article]
    Despite the Whale fiasco, I still consider JPM to be best of breed of the big banks (along with WFC), and also consider Jamie Dimon to be the best bank CEO going. Long term, this is a $70 stock, and we should continue to see increased dividends and buybacks. Since I'm holding at just under $40 per share, I'm more than happy to wait.
    Jul 31 07:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Bank Of America Shareholders Might Be Missing [View article]
    Be patient Nikkor. At current share price, Buffett is sitting on a very large unrealized gain on his warrants for 700,000,000 common shares at $7.14 per share, yet he has repeatedly said that they have no intention of exercising these warrants until somewhere near their 2021 expiration. What does that tell you about where he thinks this stock is headed long term?

I agree that clearing up the DOJ case will be a huge near term catalyst, as will be the Fed's pending approval of their re-submitted capital plan so they can (hopefully) resume their dividend increase and share repurchase plan.

As for long term price targets, I won't quibble - I'm long at just over $8 per share, and I'll be very happy at the authors $26.16 suggested price, especially if it's yielding 2%-3% at that point.
    Jul 31 06:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bar Harbor Bankshares: This Dividend Champion Is Hiding In Plain Sight [View article]
    BHB is one of my three favorite community banks stocks, along with SBSI in TX and WASH here in RI. Great article, thank you.
    Jul 3 08:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Future Of J.M. Smucker Company [View article]
    I've had SJM on my watch list for a few years now, and I agree with you that it is at about fair value right now. As a value investor, I'm looing to get into this stock at around $85 - have to be patient and get that margin of safety. A very good stock to buy into during the next general market correction. Great article, thank you.
    Jul 2 07:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment