John McCoy

View John McCoy's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 2015: How To Make Money In This Lousy Year [View article]
    Long MKL is the place to be. MKL and BRK-B are my two biggest holdings. Lots of value right now in financials, especially the big Canadian banks (BMO, BNS and TD). Rails (NSC, UNP, ARII), large cap and mid-steam energy MLPs (XOM, CVS, BP, EPD) and REITs (O, HCP, VTR) are all down too. You'll never regret buying quality while it's on sale. Nice write up, thanks.
    Jul 29, 2015. 05:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BofA more than doubles environmental lending pledge [View news story]
    They're not "spending" anything, they're lending, which is what banks do.
    Jul 27, 2015. 06:41 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buffett wins again; Street gives no credit [View news story]
    Bailout? Berkshire? I can't believe people are still spewing this nonsense 7 years later.
    Jul 25, 2015. 04:16 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buffett wins again; Street gives no credit [View news story]
    Don't forget Tom Gayner at Markel. Solidly profitable insurance business, small but growing Markel Ventures, and a great investment manager like Gayner make MKL one of the best long term investments going. Long both MKL and BRK-B.
    Jul 25, 2015. 04:14 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell-side scratches head over BofA management shakeup [View news story]
    Interesting. I was not aware that he still lived in Boston. He must have a place in Charlotte too. He can certainly afford one.
    Jul 23, 2015. 06:59 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Starbucks hiking prices for coffee, other drinks [View news story]
    Jackooo, I can think of three letters that should replace those three Os. :)
    Jul 9, 2015. 09:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • NYSE: Halt due to technical issue, not cyber breach [View news story]
    Yup, time to bury the mason jars in the garden, lol.
    Jul 8, 2015. 01:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Starbucks hiking prices for coffee, other drinks [View news story]
    Yep, the one thing you can always count on is that there are millions of idiots willing to overspend for something they consider to be a trendy status symbol. I love SBUX as an investment, but I don't like their coffee, and wouldn't over pay for it even if I did. DNKN works for me coffee wise.
    Jul 6, 2015. 09:05 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Heinz completes Kraft purchase, Buffett joins board [View news story]
    The new Kraft Heinz Co will be a true powerhouse food company moving forward, especially if 3G and Berkshire continue to use it as an acquisition vehicle. Aggressive cost cutting at Kraft, taking advantage of Heinz international distribution system, and future strategic acquisitions should lead to growth and improved top and bottom lines.

It would appear that they're planning the same with QSR. First BK, then Tim Hortons, who next? Bring them into the fold, lean 'em and clean 'em up, repeat.

Is anyone else seeing a pattern? Perhaps BUD & Pepsi next?
    Jul 3, 2015. 08:11 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Won't Invest In The Banks [View article]
    And they didn't need dime one of it. They were forced to take it along with several other banks that didn't need it (think JPM, USB, BK, STT, AXP, etc). These banks were not given any choice in the matter. Many of them actually wanted to return the TARP money as soon as possible and were again told no for several years.
    Jun 26, 2015. 08:55 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Top 10 Utilities For Dividend Growth And Income [View article]
    Outstanding article Eric, and I agree 100% that SO belongs at the very top of any utility stock ranking. I consider it fairly valued right now, and though I usually prefer to wait for a little more margin of safety, it's 5 plus % yield and strong record of dividend increases make now a great opportunity to get long the stock while there's a little blood in the street on the name. An excellent choice for any long term/dividend income investors portfolio.

I am long SO and will add on further weakness (rising interest rate environment?) I'll also be taking a closer looks at some of the other names on your list that I am less familiar with. Thanks again!
    Jun 21, 2015. 08:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Financials turn higher for the year [View news story]
    Bob, the ACA was damage enough.
    Jun 10, 2015. 03:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Banking's winners and losers since the financial crisis [View news story]
    No mention of WFC at all? I'm long BAC and JPM and looking closely at WFC and TD.
    Jun 10, 2015. 03:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Income Power Couple: Stacking Kinder Morgan Against Williams Companies [View article]
    Another great article Tim. What are you're thoughts on the possibility of OKE making the same sort of roll up of OKS? Thanks.
    May 19, 2015. 06:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Williams Becomes A Dividend Growth Juggernaut [View article]
    Maybe OKE/OKS will be next.
    May 13, 2015. 06:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment