John McCoy

View John McCoy's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Oil & Gas Stocks: Pain, Then More Pain... When Is The Gain? [View article]
    For those with a long term view, now is the time to go long on:

1. Majors with deep balance sheets that can ride this out and be in a perfect position to scoop up the smaller players on the cheap. Personally, I like XOM and BP here.

2. Energy stocks that have been beaten up irrationally in the flee from all things energy. I like midstream NG MLP NGLS and OKS here.

Great article Richard, thank you.
    Dec 14, 2014. 06:57 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: As Oil Plunges, Buy BP On The Way Down [View article]
    This is an oustanding opportunity to buy/add BP shares while there's blood in the streets, or in this case, in the pipeline. Long BP and XOM and adding to both, also looking at NLGS and OKS, both midstream NG MLPs that are wrongly getting whacked along with all things energy.

Opportunities like this don't come along every day people, so get a little greedy while everyone else is fearful.
    Dec 13, 2014. 04:43 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Some Thoughts On Berkshire's Procter & Gamble, Duracell Swap [View article]
    I think Buffett simply saw the opportunity to trade an overvalued PG stock for a cash flow rich operating company and yet another tremendous brand name that he could improve, and to do it while avoiding the big tax bill. Also, consider the possible synergies with his solar energy projects and BYD, one of the largest makers of cell phone batteries. A typical outstanding Buffett deal if ever there was one.
    Dec 9, 2014. 09:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pabrai still bullish on BofA and Citi [View news story]
    "My feeling is that if a bank has proper reserves and it’s trading well below tangible book value, that is an undervalued bank."

Short and to the point, and I agree 100%. Long BAC and JPM.
    Dec 9, 2014. 09:25 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Financial sector leads the way on strong jobs number [View news story]
    "BAC has the upward potential of more than $30 in the next couple of years. "

I agree, $25 - $30 over the next 2-3 years, along with increased dividends and share buybacks. They NEED to start lowering the number of shares outstanding.
    Dec 5, 2014. 01:49 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Core Investment Portfolio For The Next 20 Years: Lockheed Martin [View article]
    No, I believe what Keallen is talking about would be more like the Reagan years - a strong national defense and a pro growth administration.
    Nov 20, 2014. 08:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Core Investment Portfolio For The Next 20 Years: Automatic Data Processing [View article]
    Excellent article, and I like your 20 year strategy. I'm in much the same position, building a long term portfolio with a 20+ year time frame in mind. DIS, ADP and MMM are all excellent companies, and are all on my watch list. LMT is a great pick too, but I personally prefer GD. You've got a new follower, thanks again for the great article.
    Nov 20, 2014. 07:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 13F Watch: Active Management Looks Like A Contrarian's Bet [View article]
    Nice summary. Might I suggest adding Tom Gayner and the Markel (MKL) portfolio to the list in the future?
    Nov 18, 2014. 09:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • JPMorgan settles $681M self-dealing Texas Shale Trust case - Bloomberg [View news story]
    I'm sure they could afford Detroit at current real estate values, but the problem is who would want to rent and live there?
    Nov 17, 2014. 09:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    No, I do not. You're saying that Dimon and the board use their position as the largest shareholders to put in a compensation package that somehow enriches them by "sticking it up the keester" of the shareholders? Of which thet are among the largest? Do you see why your argument makes no sense now?
    Nov 17, 2014. 09:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mr Dimon and most of the board members are some of the largest individual share holders in the company, so I fail to understand your argument.
    Nov 16, 2014. 07:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Berkshire ups GM stake, exits Deere, buys into Express Scripts [View news story]
    I agree on both counts David, but still shake my head whenever I think of Warren buying into GM. Your market cap argument makes sense, but given the importance that Buffett has always placed on quality management, I still find it difficuly to understand this position.

You are spot on about Deere. DE is a wonderful company with shareholder friendly management and an incredibly strong farmer loyalty that provides a powerful moat in their largest business segment. DE has terrific long term prospects, and current short term headwinds make for a perfect entry opportunity. I've got to believe that it's Todd or Ted that bought in and sold out and not Warren.
    Nov 16, 2014. 07:45 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Just Sold Berkshire Hathaway [View article]
    BRK-A shares can be converted to BRK-B shares at any time and then sold in smaller increments.

From the Berkshire website:

"Each share of a Class A common stock is convertible at any time, at the
    holder’s option, into 1,500 shares of Class B common stock. This conversion privilege does not extend in the opposite direction."
    Nov 13, 2014. 08:53 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buffett saving a fortune in taxes on Duracell deal [View news story]
    This is yet another BRILLIANT move. He buys an undervalued brand (P&G paid over $7B for it and we get it from them for basically $3B) and pays for it with an overvalued P&G stock, and avoids approx $1B in capital gains taxes on said pP&G stock.

Duracell is probably the most recognizable and respected brands in batteries worldwide, and although P&G didn't manage to grow the brand, they seem to be having that problem with most of their brands the last few years. Even with minimal growth, Duracell should continue to generate tons of cash to send back to Berkshire, but I think Berkshire has other plans for Duracell - think potential BYD/Duracell synergies.

I LOVE being a Berkshire shareholder!
    Nov 13, 2014. 08:38 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What The Duracell Deal Says About Procter & Gamble's Valuation [View article]
    Right, think BYD/Duracel synergy potential. BYD is one of the worlds largest cell phone battery makers, and Duracel is one of the most recognizable and respected names in batteries world wide. This purchase makes perfect sense, and it was executed brilliantly. I LOVE being a Berkshire shareholder!
    Nov 13, 2014. 08:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment