John McCoy

View John McCoy's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Identifying Thriving Small Banks Using Federal Reserve, FDIC Data [View article]
    I like small community banks, and I've been looking at CFFI and a few others. I'm adding CFFI to my watch list, which also includes small banks WASH, SBSI and BHB. I'd be interested to hear your thoughs on those as well. Excellent article Matt, thank you.
    Apr 5 03:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford Motor: More Positives Going Into April [View article]
    In addition to record Fusion sales and strong F-Series sales, Ford also reported very strong growth across the Lincoln brand, up 31% over last year. Growth in Lincoln sales is very important, and should help add to our momentum. Stay long F, we should see $20 by the end of the year. Good article, thank you.
    Apr 1 04:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Is Berkshire Hathaway Really Worth? A Comprehensive Look [View article]
    I missed your conservative value of $154.00 for the BRK-B shares by .29 cents (my current target sell price is $154.29). Great article, thank you!
    Mar 27 08:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Is Berkshire Hathaway Really Worth? A Comprehensive Look [View article]
    "There's also the problem that BRK is a very investor-unfriendly company."

How on Earth does anyone consider a 19.7% compounded return over the last 48 years to be "shareholder unfriendly"?
    Mar 27 08:10 PM | 19 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford Motor: This Ridiculous Valuation Can't Last Forever [View article]
    Don't forget China, which is a small but very fast growing and important market for Ford. With strong US sales continuing, new models being rolled out and setting up for 2015, a recovering European market, and a small but fast growing China/Asian market, Ford is an excellent long term investment, and one of my top positions along with BAC and BRK-B. And with a current 3.3% dividend yield, they're paying you to wait. Ford is a buy on any weakness throughout 2014.
    Mar 16 01:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This Time It Is Different - Americans Are More Pessimistic [View article]
    Look for snack food companies like PEP and MDLZ to do well due to the "munchie factor."
    Mar 8 02:51 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's Wrong With Prospect Capital? [View article]
    Excuse me, I meant if it stays under $11. Under $10 would be quite the deal.
    Mar 7 04:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buffett's Big 5 Stocks: Bank Of America A Keeper? [View article]
    You and me both Lordbru, good job buying that low and staying long. I'm thinking we're going to see the first dividend increase next quarter.
    Mar 6 09:42 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's Wrong With Prospect Capital? [View article]
    I'm long PSEC and I agree with the author here - there is nothing fundementally wrong with the company. This is a nice buying opportunity, and I just added 210 shares today at $10.89, now holding 1,260 shares at a bit over $11, and will continue to average down for as long as it stays under $10. I also like MAIN, FSC and TICC in the BDC space.

Nice article, thank you.
    Mar 6 02:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank Of America: A Good Time To Buy? [View article]
    I am also long on both BAC and BRK-B and plan to stay that way. If Buffett see's value in holding his BAC warrants until 2021, that's good enough for me to stay long the stock. Also agree on the probability of a dividend increase this quarter. I'd like to see some more share repurchases as well, would be nice to reduce the share count at these levels.
    Mar 5 05:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Buffett's Berkshire Beatdown [View article]
    Not necessarily Uncle. Remember, price is what you pay, value is what you get. IMO, speculators live by stock price while investors look more towards book value, especially in BRK's case. I'm much more comfortable relying on their stated book value then I am with most other companies.
    Mar 5 06:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dhandho Of Berkshire Hathaway: Why It Just Might Be A Good Partial Substitute For An Index Fund [View article]
    Excellent article Jim, thank you. I especially like the phrase "Heads I win; tails I don't lose much." That's precisley how I've always viewed my BRK position, which is also one of my largest positions. Count me as a new follower too, and thanks again for the excellent article.
    Mar 2 11:22 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Berkshire: Has Buffett Lost His Touch? [View article]
    The last 5 years have been strong up years, ending with a 30% gain for the S&P in 2013. Due to the ever increasing size of BRK, Buffett himself has said that it will be nearly impossible for Berkshire to outperform the index in up years, but that he fully expects the company to outperform in down years. I'll gladly use a quality, highly profitable and stable company like Berkshire as a hedge for the rest of my portfolio. As Buffett says, it may reduce our overall returns a bit, but it helps us sleep well at night. I'm sticking with BRK.
    Mar 2 08:12 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buffett's Latest Letter Drops This Weekend [View article]
    That's some serious wishful think there UncleLongHair. I can see your rational - stocks are at all time highs, Berkshire stock is above his stated 120% of BV buyback level, and his lack of recent success at hunting the "elephant" aquisitions, Heinz notwithstanding. But I just don't see him reversing 40 plus years of no dividend policy, especially after everything he wrote about it in last years letter.
    Feb 28 06:39 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buffett's Latest Letter Drops This Weekend [View article]
    I'm seriously considering attending my first Berkshire shareholders meeting this year. Can't wait to read tomorrows letter, but I don't see much in the way of suprises coming out of it. Berkshire's portfolio companies all did very well, and the stock portfolio must have really sizzled. All in all, I expect excellent results, little in the way of suprises, and a nice pop that starts us back towards new highs. That said, I could be wrong about the suprises.
    Feb 28 06:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment