John McCoy

View John McCoy's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Bank of America Corp declares $0.05 dividend [View news story]
    Actually, BAC will now yield approx 2.4% on my cost basis of $8.38, not great but right in the mix with the other banks, so I'm happy. Going forward, we should see continued dividend increases at least yearly for the forseeable future, which actually makes BAC a dividend growth stock. Crazy, huh?

I must admit that I'm disappointed that they dropped the buybacks, but they'll add that back in next spring. I can see BAC at $20 to $25 and paying $1 to $1.25 yearly dividend in 3-4 years. I'll wait, thank you.
    Aug 6, 2014. 03:51 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This Time It Is Different - Americans Are More Pessimistic [View article]
    Look for snack food companies like PEP and MDLZ to do well due to the "munchie factor."
    Mar 8, 2014. 02:51 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buffett's Big 5 Stocks: Bank Of America A Keeper? [View article]
    You and me both Lordbru, good job buying that low and staying long. I'm thinking we're going to see the first dividend increase next quarter.
    Mar 6, 2014. 09:42 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buffett's Latest Letter Drops This Weekend [View article]
    That's some serious wishful think there UncleLongHair. I can see your rational - stocks are at all time highs, Berkshire stock is above his stated 120% of BV buyback level, and his lack of recent success at hunting the "elephant" aquisitions, Heinz notwithstanding. But I just don't see him reversing 40 plus years of no dividend policy, especially after everything he wrote about it in last years letter.
    Feb 28, 2014. 06:39 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Ford's Stock Catch Up With The Company? [View article]
    Fords dividend is NOT .10 cents per quarter. They announced a 25% dividend increase to .125 cents per quarter on Jan 9th. Yiels as of yesterdays closing is a VERY repsectable 3.18%.
    Jan 28, 2014. 12:17 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fannie Mae And Freddie Mac, Short-Term Trade Or Deep Value Investment? [View article]
    Gamble is the right word, that's for sure. It's one thing to invest in a company with an uncertain financial future, but when the uncertainty is poltical, that's a completely different story, and depending on Congress to use common sense is just plain crazy. On the other hand, the potential upside is VERY compelling, and may be worth taking a chance on a possible life changing investment. Oh, what to do!
    Mar 25, 2013. 08:46 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Desperately Seeking Yield Through Equities Redux: Part 1 - BDCs [View article]
    Nice article, thanks! I agree with you on ACAS. The biggest reason that the stock trades at a discount to NAV is the fact that they do not pay a dividend. They are buying back signficant amounts of stock instead of paying a dividend while they work off large deferred tax credits. Once their tax credits are used up, they will revert back to RIC tax status and resume dividend payments, which will draw in the income oriented BDC investors. Be patient and buy this stock hand over fist now, and in two years or so, you'll be VERY glad you did. I also like PSEC and their 10% dividend yield - paid monthly too!
    Mar 4, 2013. 07:55 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Heads You Lose 40%, Tails You Lose 70% On Gamble With Navidea Shares [View article]
    Well, it looks like Montaur's response verified what just about everone here already knew - that this article is nothing more than a hit piece, and a badly done one at that. This propaganda piece is filled with half truths and a flat out lies that tries to spread fear and uncertainty among shareholders in an attempt to drive down the shareprice to support their short position. Add this to the fact that another company is suing them over a similar effort and it tells us that this author has ZERO credibility. What suprises me is that these shameless hit pieces continue to affect share prices at all any more, as anyone who has invested in biotech start up companies for more than 5 minutes should be well aware of the unethical and fraudulent tactics used by the short siders in an attempt to manipulate prices in their favor. Pay this article and this author no mind people.
    Dec 19, 2012. 08:58 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy And Hold Means Buy And Monitor [View article]
    It goes without saying that buy and hold should really be called buy and monitor - never ignore the story behind your stocks, and never take anything for granted with any company. When choosing "buy and hold" dividend stocks, I try to look for companies that are undervalued and offer the potential for captial gain along with the dividend income. By buying low, watching them closely and selling as they reach fair value, you can reduce risk and enjoy the dividend income. Good article, thanks!
    Nov 28, 2012. 09:01 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Invest In Bank Of America Because Buffett Did? [View article]
    You should NOT invest in BAC because Warren Buffett did. You should invest in BAC because it is a tremendous franchise that is slowly but steadily being leaned up and beaten back into shape, and IMO, it offers the greatest potential for share price increase long term than any of the other big banks. BAC should see $20 - $25 per share and a much higher dividend within 3-4 years - a great long term investment, again IMO.
    Jul 24, 2012. 11:20 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fear And Noise Creating Opportunity In Freeport-McMoRan [View article]
    I expect that Freeport and the Indonesian government will work out a reasonable settlement at some point in the near future. Once this uncertainty is removed, I expect the stock to move back up quickly. This stock has a history of quick moves, both up and down. I'm long FCX, with a $55 target price, and I'll collect the nice dividend while I wait. This company offers a lot of value, and it's on sale dirt cheap. I'll also add more if we dip under $30.
    Jul 24, 2012. 11:14 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How JPMorgan Just Lost A Huge Source Of Profits, Now A Terrible Investment [View article]
    That's right, and the VALUE you refer to comes from investing in a business whose assets are worth more than the PRICE that you pay for your shares. In this case, Andresrue is correct, JPM is undervalued, as are BAC, WFC, STT, BK, and AXP. Add to their undervalued share prices the potential for increased dividends over the next 2-3 years and you have a vastly undervalued group of stocks.
    Jul 14, 2012. 08:43 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Proof That Forever Investing Can Work [View article]
    Great article, and I agree 100%. I'm glad to see that there are still other investors out there that still believe in "buy and hold" in this trade driven market.
    Jul 9, 2012. 09:22 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Berkshire ups GM stake, exits Deere, buys into Express Scripts [View news story]
    I agree on both counts David, but still shake my head whenever I think of Warren buying into GM. Your market cap argument makes sense, but given the importance that Buffett has always placed on quality management, I still find it difficuly to understand this position.

You are spot on about Deere. DE is a wonderful company with shareholder friendly management and an incredibly strong farmer loyalty that provides a powerful moat in their largest business segment. DE has terrific long term prospects, and current short term headwinds make for a perfect entry opportunity. I've got to believe that it's Todd or Ted that bought in and sold out and not Warren.
    Nov 16, 2014. 07:45 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buffett saving a fortune in taxes on Duracell deal [View news story]
    This is yet another BRILLIANT move. He buys an undervalued brand (P&G paid over $7B for it and we get it from them for basically $3B) and pays for it with an overvalued P&G stock, and avoids approx $1B in capital gains taxes on said pP&G stock.

Duracell is probably the most recognizable and respected brands in batteries worldwide, and although P&G didn't manage to grow the brand, they seem to be having that problem with most of their brands the last few years. Even with minimal growth, Duracell should continue to generate tons of cash to send back to Berkshire, but I think Berkshire has other plans for Duracell - think potential BYD/Duracell synergies.

I LOVE being a Berkshire shareholder!
    Nov 13, 2014. 08:38 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment