John McCoy

View John McCoy's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Berkshire Hathaway Inc. Class A Shares Set New Milestone [View article]
    Compared to where it will be in 10 years, it is down right now. This is a unique stock, and I'm not afraid to buy it right now at it's highs. I also recommend MKL, the best of the Berkshire wannabes in my opinion. Back the truck of on both stocks and forget about them for 10 or 20 years.
    Aug 14 04:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Berkshire Hathaway reports Q2 results [View news story]
    I've been thinking DE, which is an iconic American company with a wide moat in most of it's business segments, and is currently on sale at about 9 x earnings due to short term headwinds. I' looking to go long DE myself, but I would gladly welcome it into my portfolio as part of the BRK family too.
    Aug 2 06:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Berkshire Hathaway reports Q2 results [View news story]
    Apple is a great example, as is Walmart (Sam Walton), or McDonalds (Ray Kroc). All of these great companies continued to grow and excel long after their revered founders passed away, and so will Berkshire.
    Aug 2 06:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Berkshire Hathaway reports Q2 results [View news story]
    In most cases that's true Mike, but Berkshire is slightly different. There are a LOT of people that become buyers as soon as they hear that Buffett is buying back shares. When Buffett repurchases, people listen.
    Aug 2 06:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Bank Of America Shareholders Might Be Missing [View article]
    No one doubts that Wells Fargo is currently a superior bank, but at current vauation, is it a superior investment? Sure, if we could time warp back to early 2009, we would probably all buy Wells, but we can't do that, can we? WFC is very close to being fully valued, whereas BAC still has plenty of room to grow, both in share price and in dividend yield. As you accuratley stated in comments on another article, it's now that counts, and right now, BAC is the better investment.
    Aug 1 11:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Bank Of America Shareholders Might Be Missing [View article]
    Be patient Nikkor. At current share price, Buffett is sitting on a very large unrealized gain on his warrants for 700,000,000 common shares at $7.14 per share, yet he has repeatedly said that they have no intention of exercising these warrants until somewhere near their 2021 expiration. What does that tell you about where he thinks this stock is headed long term?

I agree that clearing up the DOJ case will be a huge near term catalyst, as will be the Fed's pending approval of their re-submitted capital plan so they can (hopefully) resume their dividend increase and share repurchase plan.

As for long term price targets, I won't quibble - I'm long at just over $8 per share, and I'll be very happy at the authors $26.16 suggested price, especially if it's yielding 2%-3% at that point.
    Jul 31 06:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Future Of J.M. Smucker Company [View article]
    I've had SJM on my watch list for a few years now, and I agree with you that it is at about fair value right now. As a value investor, I'm looing to get into this stock at around $85 - have to be patient and get that margin of safety. A very good stock to buy into during the next general market correction. Great article, thank you.
    Jul 2 07:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford Motor: More Positives Going Into April [View article]
    In addition to record Fusion sales and strong F-Series sales, Ford also reported very strong growth across the Lincoln brand, up 31% over last year. Growth in Lincoln sales is very important, and should help add to our momentum. Stay long F, we should see $20 by the end of the year. Good article, thank you.
    Apr 1 04:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Is Berkshire Hathaway Really Worth? A Comprehensive Look [View article]
    I missed your conservative value of $154.00 for the BRK-B shares by .29 cents (my current target sell price is $154.29). Great article, thank you!
    Mar 27 08:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What's Wrong With Prospect Capital? [View article]
    I'm long PSEC and I agree with the author here - there is nothing fundementally wrong with the company. This is a nice buying opportunity, and I just added 210 shares today at $10.89, now holding 1,260 shares at a bit over $11, and will continue to average down for as long as it stays under $10. I also like MAIN, FSC and TICC in the BDC space.

Nice article, thank you.
    Mar 6 02:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank Of America: A Good Time To Buy? [View article]
    I am also long on both BAC and BRK-B and plan to stay that way. If Buffett see's value in holding his BAC warrants until 2021, that's good enough for me to stay long the stock. Also agree on the probability of a dividend increase this quarter. I'd like to see some more share repurchases as well, would be nice to reduce the share count at these levels.
    Mar 5 05:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Prospect Capital Declares Its 72nd, 73rd, and 74th Consecutive Cash Distributions to Shareholders, Exceeding $1.2 Billion in Cumulative Distributions to Shareholders Since 2004 [View article]
    Use this pullback to get in to this stock or to buy more. I'm buying more tomorrow. 12.2% yield, paid monthly, and preannounced dividends through September? What's not to like?
    Feb 3 07:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Take On Ford's Results And Mr. Mulally's Future [View article]
    Ford is doing everything right - building great cars (I love my 2012 Taurus), dominating in the US, growing in Asia and South America, turning around Europe, strengthening the balance sheet and funding the pension program, what's not to like? And for what it's worth, I think Mulally stays. He comes from Boeing, a similar manufacturer to Ford. Why would he want to leave his success at Ford behind to enter the nightmarish software business? No, he's way to smart for that. I'm a buyer and holder as long as it's under $20.
    Oct 25 07:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Take On Ford's Results And Mr. Mulally's Future [View article]
    Traders selling out and taking profits after earnings, which is to be expected. And yes, 16 cents is nothing to be concerned about.
    Oct 25 07:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Union Pacific: The Best-Of-Breed U.S. Railroad [View article]
    Ray,

Excellent article! I love the rails as well, and have been long BRK-B since the BNSF split (for more than just BNSF of course) and I used the recent pullback to start a long position in NSC as well. Like you, I consider UNP to be best of breed, but have always considered it to be a bit pricey. Perhaps it's time for me to listen to Buffett and pay a fair price for a wonderful company! Thanks again for the great write up!
    Jul 22 08:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment