John McCoy

View John McCoy's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Prospect Capital Declares Its 72nd, 73rd, and 74th Consecutive Cash Distributions to Shareholders, Exceeding $1.2 Billion in Cumulative Distributions to Shareholders Since 2004 [View article]
    Use this pullback to get in to this stock or to buy more. I'm buying more tomorrow. 12.2% yield, paid monthly, and preannounced dividends through September? What's not to like?
    Feb 3, 2014. 07:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Take On Ford's Results And Mr. Mulally's Future [View article]
    Ford is doing everything right - building great cars (I love my 2012 Taurus), dominating in the US, growing in Asia and South America, turning around Europe, strengthening the balance sheet and funding the pension program, what's not to like? And for what it's worth, I think Mulally stays. He comes from Boeing, a similar manufacturer to Ford. Why would he want to leave his success at Ford behind to enter the nightmarish software business? No, he's way to smart for that. I'm a buyer and holder as long as it's under $20.
    Oct 25, 2013. 07:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Take On Ford's Results And Mr. Mulally's Future [View article]
    Traders selling out and taking profits after earnings, which is to be expected. And yes, 16 cents is nothing to be concerned about.
    Oct 25, 2013. 07:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Union Pacific: The Best-Of-Breed U.S. Railroad [View article]
    Ray,

Excellent article! I love the rails as well, and have been long BRK-B since the BNSF split (for more than just BNSF of course) and I used the recent pullback to start a long position in NSC as well. Like you, I consider UNP to be best of breed, but have always considered it to be a bit pricey. Perhaps it's time for me to listen to Buffett and pay a fair price for a wonderful company! Thanks again for the great write up!
    Jul 22, 2013. 08:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Undervalued Stocks To Buy And Hold For 2013 [View article]
    Loong back, a quick recap:

F then - $11.10, now $15.63 for a 29% gain, not including dividends.

BAC then - $9.90, now $13.29 for a 25% gain, not including dividends.

NUE then - $41.14, now $44.97 for a 9% gain, not including dividends.

BBBY then - $60.16, now $71.64 for a 17% gain.

Altogether pretty good performance, with dividends making it ever more respectable. I'm still long F and BAC, and consider NUE a BUY here. BBBY needs to offer a dividend before I'll buy back in there.
    Jun 18, 2013. 12:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Value On The Tracks: A Small Railcar Producer At A Deep Discount [View article]
    I am going all in on rails and containers too, and I like ARII as an undervalued play on railroads, and am long NSC and BRK-B (for Burlington). CSX is looking pretty cheap right now, and I like UNP, but am waiting for a bigger pullback before buying in. Also liking TGH, a great undervalued, dividend paying container play. Nice article on RAIL, thanks!
    Jun 5, 2013. 08:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Long-Term Investor Should Choo-Choo-Choose This Railroad [View article]
    I agree 100% on the future of NSC, and railroads in general. I'm long NSC and BRK-B for Burlington Northern. I also like CSX and UNP, but will wait for a pullback for a better entry point on UNP. I also like ARII as a railroad play as well. Thanks!
    Jun 2, 2013. 07:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Undervalued Stocks To Buy And Hold For 2013 [View article]
    With about 6 months since this article was published, a review shows all four picks doing very well. At the moment, I view BBBY as fairly valued, NUE a bit ovewrpriced, and despite their big runs, BAC and F are still undervalued. I'd welcome any thoughts on these 4 picks going forward. Thanks!
    May 22, 2013. 04:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Fannie Mae And Freddie Mac, Short-Term Trade Or Deep Value Investment? [View article]
    Well, looks like I should have held on to my FNMA shares. Bought at .52 cents, sold at $1.04, and now looking at $1.83. Nice run for FNMA and FMCC. Oh well, can't win 'em all.
    May 22, 2013. 04:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Ford's 13% Pullback A Good Entry Point? [View article]
    I'd have to agree with Jobu37 on the resale values. My company is turning in their fleet cars (Fusion, Taurus and Escape) earlier than ever because the resale values are so high. As for the cars themselves, I LOVE my 2012 Taurus, and can't wait to see the 2014 model.
    Apr 8, 2013. 08:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Invest In The Surging Buybacks Of American Capital [View article]
    Yblarr, I tend to think that, regardless of what the company says, the "buyback vs dividend" stance will last only as long as their tax offsets last. Once the tax offsets are used up, they will switch back to RIC status, which requires profits be distributed to shareholders through dividends. This could still be several years though.
    Apr 3, 2013. 04:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What To Do With Your Overvalued Blue-Chip Stocks [View article]
    Tim,

I agree 100% with your thesis - I look for undervalued stocks in good companies and put them into two categories - sell when fully valued, and hold forever. My favorite "forever" stocks are KO, BRK-B, MCD, DE, JPM, MMM, GWW, GE, XOM and GD. I also speculate in biotech stocks, but that's another story altogether, lol.

Excellent article Tim, thank you.
    Mar 11, 2013. 08:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Question For Warren Buffett [View article]
    I agree that as Berkshire grows, underperforming the S&P500 may become the norm, but only in up years. As Buffett is careful to point out in the letter, he expects Berkshire to underperform in up years, but also to outperform the market in down years. With the quality of it's holdings and massive cash reserves, Berkshire provides a safe haven in a falling market, and with the market approaching new all time highs, that's a margin of safety that I want in my portfolio. When the market is falling and everyone else is panicking, Warren will be out hunting his next elephant.
    Mar 4, 2013. 05:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Berkshire Hathaway Is A Sell [View article]
    Walmart didn't die with Sam Walton, Apple didn't die with Steve Jobs, and McDonalds didn't die along with Ray Croc. Warren Buffetts job will be split among several people, and at least one whose last name is Buffett. Berkshire will continue to do what it does long after Warren and Charlie are gone, and I will continue to be long Berkshire long after thay are gone too.
    Mar 3, 2013. 08:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Berkshire Hathaway Is A Sell [View article]
    Walmart didn't fall apart when Sam Walton died, McDonalds didn't crash when Ray Croc died, and Apple didn't fall when Steve Jobs died. Berkshire will continue to do what it does long after Warren Buffettare gone. His job will be split among several people, and at least one of them is named Buffett. I am long BRK-B and will be far into the future.
    Mar 3, 2013. 08:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment