John McCoy

View John McCoy's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Berkshire Hathaway: The Buy For When You Get An Itchy Trigger Finger [View article]
    Yes, but has Buffett set the buy target - 1.2 x book. If you buy BRK at that level, you'll do very well in the long term.
    Sep 30, 2014. 06:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Berkshire: Still Beating The S&P [View article]
    Well said Cassandra, you make an excellent point. Slow and steady still wins the race - every time.
    Sep 30, 2014. 06:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Berkshire: Still Beating The S&P [View article]
    If Ted and Todd are well paid, so are shareholders. And so far, they've been worth every penny they've earned.
    Sep 30, 2014. 06:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • JPMorgan: A Solid Value In This Fully Valued Market [View article]
    I'm long JPM at $44, a great long term stock for sure, but I wouldn't be a buyer now at $60. BAC is the better buy right now.
    Sep 30, 2014. 06:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Markel: A Compounding Machine At A Cheap Price [View article]
    Bingo, you're 100% correct dealraker. MKL is one of the best long term opportunities in the market today. Be patient and accumulate at 1.2 X BV or lower and you will do exceedingly well long term. VERY Long MKL and BRK-B.

Great article too, thanks!
    Sep 30, 2014. 06:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Bar Harbor Bankshares Earnings [View article]
    Sometimes is good to be small. BHB is a great little community bank and a great stock to hold long term. Buy now, let the dividends compound and maybe someday a bigger bank will buy it out at a nice premium.
    Sep 30, 2014. 06:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Bank You Can Trust (To Pay Dividends): Washington Trust Bancorp [View article]
    Great bank, great stock. Thanks for the article!
    Sep 30, 2014. 06:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Southside Bancshares: Here's Why I'm Staying Long On This Texas-Based Regional Bank [View article]
    Great choices there Value. I'm doing the same thing with my three favorite community banks - SBSI, WASH and BHB. Check out WASH and BHB when you get the chance, I think you'll like them.

Great article Heather, thank you!
    Sep 30, 2014. 06:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Bank Of America's Dividend Yield Could Hit 3.1% Next Year [View article]
    Being long BAC, I'd like to see them strike a balance between buybacks and dividends. Both are important to shareholders, but with BAC shares outstanding at a ridiculous 10.5 billion, emphasis should be on buybacks. They need to get shares outstanding down and EPS up. Of course, on my $8.38 cost basis, my dividend yield % is going to be just fine anyway.
    Sep 8, 2014. 07:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank Of America: Stage Set For Substantial Upside [View article]
    I agree with that Bret, $25 to $30 over the next 2 to 3 years, and hopefully paying out $1 to $1.25 per year in dividends. Not to bad on my $8 cost basis. Thanks for the article Bret!
    Sep 2, 2014. 07:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Safe Large-Cap Blue-Chip Dividend Champions For Your Retirement Portfolios: Part 2 [View article]
    Chuck, thank you for yet another great article. Your 13 picks include a lot of my favorites - PH, SWK, MCD, XOM, and AFL.

I'm curious about what you think of DE, a stock I consider a blue chip with a strong competitive moat, shareholder friendly management, and currently very cheap and getting cheaper due to (relatively) short term headwinds.

I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts if you have the time. Thank you!
    Aug 27, 2014. 07:32 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BofA reportedly settles mortgage claims for $17B [View news story]
    Agree 100%, and am VERY long BAC and JPM, along with BRK-B and MKL in the insurance space.
    Aug 20, 2014. 05:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Berkshire Hathaway Inc. Class A Shares Set New Milestone [View article]
    Compared to where it will be in 10 years, it is down right now. This is a unique stock, and I'm not afraid to buy it right now at it's highs. I also recommend MKL, the best of the Berkshire wannabes in my opinion. Back the truck of on both stocks and forget about them for 10 or 20 years.
    Aug 14, 2014. 04:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Markel Reports Second Quarter And Six-Months Results [View article]
    1.22 to book is close enough for me, I'm adding at this level.
    Aug 9, 2014. 11:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Markel Reports Second Quarter And Six-Months Results [View article]
    Nice increase in BV for the first half! This stock just keeps chugging along. The best of the "mini" Berkshires, IMO.
    Aug 6, 2014. 05:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment