John McCoy

View John McCoy's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Bank Of America: A Good Time To Buy? [View article]
    I am also long on both BAC and BRK-B and plan to stay that way. If Buffett see's value in holding his BAC warrants until 2021, that's good enough for me to stay long the stock. Also agree on the probability of a dividend increase this quarter. I'd like to see some more share repurchases as well, would be nice to reduce the share count at these levels.
    Mar 5, 2014. 05:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Buffett's Berkshire Beatdown [View article]
    Not necessarily Uncle. Remember, price is what you pay, value is what you get. IMO, speculators live by stock price while investors look more towards book value, especially in BRK's case. I'm much more comfortable relying on their stated book value then I am with most other companies.
    Mar 5, 2014. 06:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dhandho Of Berkshire Hathaway: Why It Just Might Be A Good Partial Substitute For An Index Fund [View article]
    Excellent article Jim, thank you. I especially like the phrase "Heads I win; tails I don't lose much." That's precisley how I've always viewed my BRK position, which is also one of my largest positions. Count me as a new follower too, and thanks again for the excellent article.
    Mar 2, 2014. 11:22 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Berkshire: Has Buffett Lost His Touch? [View article]
    The last 5 years have been strong up years, ending with a 30% gain for the S&P in 2013. Due to the ever increasing size of BRK, Buffett himself has said that it will be nearly impossible for Berkshire to outperform the index in up years, but that he fully expects the company to outperform in down years. I'll gladly use a quality, highly profitable and stable company like Berkshire as a hedge for the rest of my portfolio. As Buffett says, it may reduce our overall returns a bit, but it helps us sleep well at night. I'm sticking with BRK.
    Mar 2, 2014. 08:12 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buffett's Latest Letter Drops This Weekend [View article]
    That's some serious wishful think there UncleLongHair. I can see your rational - stocks are at all time highs, Berkshire stock is above his stated 120% of BV buyback level, and his lack of recent success at hunting the "elephant" aquisitions, Heinz notwithstanding. But I just don't see him reversing 40 plus years of no dividend policy, especially after everything he wrote about it in last years letter.
    Feb 28, 2014. 06:39 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buffett's Latest Letter Drops This Weekend [View article]
    I'm seriously considering attending my first Berkshire shareholders meeting this year. Can't wait to read tomorrows letter, but I don't see much in the way of suprises coming out of it. Berkshire's portfolio companies all did very well, and the stock portfolio must have really sizzled. All in all, I expect excellent results, little in the way of suprises, and a nice pop that starts us back towards new highs. That said, I could be wrong about the suprises.
    Feb 28, 2014. 06:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Daily Journal Corporation: Recent Hype Around The Company's Marketable Securities Obscures Quiet Expansion Into Legal Software [View article]
    Outstanding article. Thank you for the very well thought out analysis. DJCO is a true diamond in the rough.
    Feb 15, 2014. 05:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Prospect Capital Declares Its 72nd, 73rd, and 74th Consecutive Cash Distributions to Shareholders, Exceeding $1.2 Billion in Cumulative Distributions to Shareholders Since 2004 [View article]
    Use this pullback to get in to this stock or to buy more. I'm buying more tomorrow. 12.2% yield, paid monthly, and preannounced dividends through September? What's not to like?
    Feb 3, 2014. 07:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Ford's Stock Catch Up With The Company? [View article]
    Good point JD, thanks.
    Jan 28, 2014. 01:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Ford's Stock Catch Up With The Company? [View article]
    Fords dividend is NOT .10 cents per quarter. They announced a 25% dividend increase to .125 cents per quarter on Jan 9th. Yiels as of yesterdays closing is a VERY repsectable 3.18%.
    Jan 28, 2014. 12:17 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Undervalued Stocks To Buy And Hold For 2013 [View article]
    End of 2013 follow up:

F then - $11.10, Dec 31 at $15.43 for a 28.1% gain, not including dividends.

BAC then - $9.90, Dec 31 at $15.57 for a 36.5% gain, not including dividends.

NUE then - $41.14, Dec31 at $53.38 for a 23% gain, not including dividends.

BBBY then - $60.16, Dec 31 at $80.30 for a 25.1% gain.

Average return of 28.175% for the year, not including dividends. Not a bad return by any means, but so-so when compared to the S&P 500's 29.6% 2013 return (again, not including dividends).

HOWEVER, I still feel that each of these stocks has plenty of room to grow - BAC and F could see $20 this year, BBBY maybe somewhat less, and with NUE, we're still waiting for the eventual rebound in steel. I would confidently hold all 4 of these through 2014. Will the S&P 500 return almost 30% again this year? Time will tell.
    Jan 3, 2014. 10:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Big Banks To Own In 2014 [View article]
    I agree as well, any bank would be crazy to aquire a failing institution without immunity from future prosecution. And try convincing healthy banks (GS, JPM) that they need to take bailout money along with the problem banks. Banks will not forget how they were treated simply for doing what the government asked them to do, and the resulting consequenses during the next financial crisis will be considerable.

Long both JPM and BAC. Nice article Brett, thanks.
    Jan 2, 2014. 07:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Take On Ford's Results And Mr. Mulally's Future [View article]
    Ford is doing everything right - building great cars (I love my 2012 Taurus), dominating in the US, growing in Asia and South America, turning around Europe, strengthening the balance sheet and funding the pension program, what's not to like? And for what it's worth, I think Mulally stays. He comes from Boeing, a similar manufacturer to Ford. Why would he want to leave his success at Ford behind to enter the nightmarish software business? No, he's way to smart for that. I'm a buyer and holder as long as it's under $20.
    Oct 25, 2013. 07:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Take On Ford's Results And Mr. Mulally's Future [View article]
    Traders selling out and taking profits after earnings, which is to be expected. And yes, 16 cents is nothing to be concerned about.
    Oct 25, 2013. 07:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Undervalued Stocks To Buy And Hold For 2013 [View article]
    Strong earnings in the last few days from both BAC and F should be a catalylst to get both these stocks on a long, slow gring upwards towards $20.
    Jul 24, 2013. 03:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment