John-Michael Scott

View John-Michael Scott's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Perception Problem Facing BlackBerry [View article]
    So - if you are an early adopter, you may be willing to put up with 4 minutes to install Bloomberg - but - mainstream users are now spoiled by App Stores that don't require this level of thinking or capability. Microsoft spent years trying to get people to install things through overly complex approach on smartphones - just pointing out that the average user needs to want BBRY devices and they will not if their lives are made harder.
    Jul 8 10:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Perception Problem Facing BlackBerry [View article]
    Rounding error. :) Maybe this is a bigger deal in Canada.
    Jul 8 10:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Perception Problem Facing BlackBerry [View article]
    Not trying to be difficult - but lawsuits regarding hacked phones - are a rounding error. It is fantastically optimistic to see BES10 as improving or saving the bottom line.
    Jul 8 10:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Perception Problem Facing BlackBerry [View article]
    Tech tech tech :) I've worked in tech consulting and management consulting since 1989. Tech for tech's sake doesn't make C level executives super excited any more. Tech that contributes to the top line or bottom line of the business or is required to meet regulatory compliance? That's about all that matters.

So - in Govt & Finance - security is a regulatory requirement.

The rest of the world - not so much. I'm going to stick with the trend lines pointed out by McKinsey & Co & Gartner whereby BYOD is exploding. :)

Seriously - ask yourself this - does BES10 contribute to improving the bottom line of a business inherently? Nope. Does it contribute to improving the top line of a business inherently? Nope.

Solution looking for a problem I say - and I'm sticking to it. :)
    Jul 7 07:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Perception Problem Facing BlackBerry [View article]
    Seeking Alpha is as pro blackberry as Stock Twits is against Tesla. I agree with other minds who consider the possibility that market perception is often self-fulfilling. I also agree with the widely held view in the tech industry that BYOD is the likely winner in the face-off between CTOs and Employees (including C Level Execs).

There was this early presumption in tech that security was all. The problem is that control of data has been ruthlessly hard to the point that multiple IT depts have been wiped clean, flushed and replaced at large enterprises and small businesses both.

So, since the world is changing, and since secure email is seldom viewed as critical out there in the wild (outside of Govt & Financial Services industries) - how is BBRY supposed to justify "device management" when the world has completely had it with putting up with IT support? People just want to do their jobs with the tools they like, where they feel most productive, and with as little interference as possible. Point in fact - before all the technology came to exist - people worked. So - what people are requiring is that technology fade into the background and get out of the way - so they can work.

To me, device management as a reason to be, and devices that require a lot of hand holding to get the bulk of "apps" on to them...these ideas are just dead on arrival. I may be a contrarian on Seeking Alpha but I can't find a reason for BBRY to continue to attempt to lead - what I'd most like them to do is become a software company providing compelling applications on other people's smartphone ecosystems. It would be a much smaller company - but one that I think would have much better long term value.

A guy named Rosser Reeves - in the 30s, the golden age of advertising - came up with this idea of claims based advertising, where you found your target buyer, identified their unique desire and sold them what they wanted.

I'd argue that Blackberry should take a step back - and do just that. Identify their target audience, identify that audience's unique desire, and sell them that. And if it means downsizing the company til it's the right size for the market that they are selling to, then so be it.

Instead, right now, I personally feel that Blackberry has a solution that is seeking a problem to solve at the global scale. Perhaps the problem needs solving in Govt and in Financial Services, but elsewhere, it's hard to justify.

Let the flambé of my thoughts now commence. :)
    Jul 7 07:00 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Doubles Down On Ecosystem As Differentiator [View article]
    I spent a lot of time and effort trying to make the ecosystem point but the blackberry people were too busy in trying to hype the return of the blackberry to listen to what I wrote previously. :) Reference: http://seekingalpha.co...

Cheers!
    Jun 17 02:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Glass: When Will It Impact Google's Share Price? [View article]
    PS - when someone starts putting holograms into this air standing in front of people or as visible air screens like something out of Minority Report or Star Wars - then, I could see a more notable impact. Screens in front of eyes though? My principle comment as a person who hates wearing his glasses completely is - why on earth would I want to wear glasses when I can't wait for lasik?
    May 14 02:19 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Glass: When Will It Impact Google's Share Price? [View article]
    Google is an advertising company. First, foremost and quite seriously - that is the basis for Google revenue. Everything that google does has to do with making sure that eyes see ads. Glass will be a rounding error in my honest opinion as a strategist and analyst of business models and business plans from Microsoft to Google to Facebook, etc.
    May 14 02:17 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Q4 Earnings Highlights: What You Need To Know [View article]
    The data is already posted and available online that the author uses and has been since around 7am eastern.
    Mar 28 07:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry 10 Sales Estimates Are A Joke [View article]
    Just a general comment - the trend line toward BYOD is putting a lot of pressure on IT Departments:

The concern I have with the idea that IT Pros are going to secure the world for any smartphone player is that it flies in the face of the BYOD trendline.
    Mar 28 04:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry 10 Sales Estimates Are A Joke [View article]
    I freed up capital to have some fun tomorrow - and I'll be on the investor call to see how it plays. My goal is to have a balance of calls split between this week and then July. I'll have some additional Puts setup after the ride tomorrow but I haven't evaluated where I want to put them yet.
    Mar 28 03:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Nokia Revolutionize Text Messaging? [View article]
    Wouldn't this lend Nokia to suffering from the same lawsuit that Korea brought against Apple for tracking where people are? I mean - consent is implied by sending the message I realize...but...

All that aside - I think Twitter & Foursquare and Facebook are already filling this need one way or another.
    Mar 28 01:36 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry 10 Sales Estimates Are A Joke [View article]
    So true - I'm no fan of malloc either - sure you might be able to write a better mission critical automotive or missile defense app - but that's like saying - let's use assembly language - we can tweak the last 2% of the performance - at a cost of about 400million $ more in labor cost ;)

I mean - I'm exaggerating and all - but - winning the hearts and minds of the developers is what's going to make all the difference in the App space long term.

Why not make their lives easy? Or - alternatively - Blackberry could go after a common code development platform and make sure that their platform is supported by it. If I were Blackberry - I'd pay money for that objective to be met.
    Mar 25 05:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry 10 Sales Estimates Are A Joke [View article]
    All I have to say is - enjoy the bumpy ride - as I will. I love a volatile stock where I can make money from swings up and down - Zynga was my favorite for a while but it's running quiet - Nokia for another while but it's quiet at the moment too - so here's another opportunity - calls and puts with delicious results. Whatever direction things go - there will be people making money - and then taking profits. For some consideration of friday - take a look at the graph for this past week - http://bit.ly/Yay8Gu - and ask - did people take some profits?

As a stock - this thing is going to be a profit warhorse for large hedge funds, brokerages, traders, etc - as they play it up and down.
    Mar 25 03:24 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry 10 Sales Estimates Are A Joke [View article]
    I agree completely that it would be a mistake to spend too much time declaiming on QNX - a review of the history of Apple's Objective C language would find that it originated on NeXT - which was a failed project by Steve Jobs to make a next gen OS - eventually it was folded back into Apple in an acquisition and is now rooted into iOS - but until iDevices - it wasn't worth much regardless of how powerful it would become in the innards in the future.
    Mar 25 03:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment