John P. Reese

View John P. Reese's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Buy What You Know - But Do Your Homework, Too [View article]
    Thanks for sharing -- that's a great example of what Lynch was talking about, I think. Glad it worked out for you!
    Jul 9, 2014. 12:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buffett, Piotroski, And An Inflation-Beating Approach [View article]
    Yes, you're correct Paul -- the wording may have been a bit confusing. I meant in one or more of the five ways.
    Jun 24, 2014. 03:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Five Retailers That Are Alive And Kicking [View article]
    The internet competition issue is certainly a big one, Doc. To be honest I don't know how it will play out for BBBY -- anyone who says they do know is probably making a number of assumptions that may or may not turn out to be right. So I prefer to look at the financials and fundamentals, and they are indicating that BBBY is holding its own against the competition right now. If that changes at some point, due to internet competition or something else, then I'd have to reevaluate. I just think it's a bit of a crap shoot (for me, at least) to try to predict what will happen, especially given the ever-changing tech world.
    May 13, 2014. 03:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • For FutureFuel, The Future Is Now [View article]
    Yes, I have no doubt the type of feedstock is critical to a company like FutureFuel. Frankly, I'm not an expert on the subject. My investment approach involves sticking to the numbers and not trying to project macro issues, as I think trying to do so is incredibly difficult, even for experts. Over the long term I've had a lot of success just keying on fundamentals and financials as part of a disciplined systematic approach. Im not saying that things like feedstock aren't important or that some small percentage of investors might not be able to succeed with a more qualitative approach. But for me, a stick-to-the-numbers approach is far more effective, so long as you stay disciplined and appropriately diversified.
    Apr 28, 2014. 09:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • For FutureFuel, The Future Is Now [View article]
    Good point. I believe there were some extraordinary retroactive tax benefits that the firm received which makes its trailing p/e lower. My models still see it as a buy using the higher p/e, though.
    Apr 28, 2014. 09:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Stocks - Including Apple - With Moats To Keep The Competitors Out [View article]
    Good points on growth, bgold. But better to buy before capex picks up while valuation is cheap than to buy when growth is popping, no?
    Apr 9, 2014. 02:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why HCI Is Still A Buy After Last Year's Gains (And Last Week's Losses) [View article]
    The talk on HCI's recent decline is focused on its earnings, which surely played a role. But what's interesting is that when it got hit in January, that coincided with its announcement that it was the first Fla. P&C insurer to offer flood insurance. The more recent hit coincided not only with earnings but with new federal flood insurance legislation being passed, which I believe caps what insurers can charge. Is the street just really down on HCI because of flood insurance? I'd welcome everyone's thoughts.
    Mar 10, 2014. 02:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget Bubbles: Bargains Abound In This Overlooked Industry [View article]
    Yes, the CR looks only at current liabilities, not long-term liabilities -- can be a bit confusing.
    Dec 4, 2013. 03:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget Bubbles: Bargains Abound In This Overlooked Industry [View article]
    The current ratio is equal to current assets/current liabilities. The most recent data for JOY shows about $3.1B in total current assets and about $1.525B in total current liabilities. 3.1/1.525=2.03.

Dec 2, 2013. 12:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Embrace The Headwinds For HollyFrontier [View article]
    They were pre-merger, but I believe that after a merger the new company's financials are revised to reflect what earnings would have been had the companies been together at that time.
    Oct 18, 2013. 02:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Embrace The Headwinds For HollyFrontier [View article]
    Thanks for all of these points guys. The question that started this was a bit beyond my areas of expertise -- appreciate the feedback.
    Oct 17, 2013. 04:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Embrace The Headwinds For HollyFrontier [View article]
    Yes, it's the "Magic Formula" strategy from Little Book.
    Oct 17, 2013. 04:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 International Stocks Offering Big Value In Fearful Times [View article]
    TEO has set aside about P$3 billion for future dividends in the first two quarters of 2013, but hasn't yet paid one this year. It looks like the last dividend it paid was an annual dividend in May 2012, from which the yield I referenced is derived. Not sure why they haven't yet paid one this year -- typically they pay one in April or May, and I can't seem to find any explanation on their site. Definitely something to keep in mind when considering TEO -- thanks for pointing that out.
    Sep 3, 2013. 02:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Chevron Is A Buy [View article]
    It includes projected dividend payouts in the total return (by using estimating future EPS and the historical payout rate), but does not account for dividends being reinvested.
    Aug 20, 2013. 10:38 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Chevron Is A Buy [View article]
    The 16% figure is not a projection, but a historical growth rate based on the average of the three-, four-, and five-year EPS growth rates. Toward the end of the article I mention that the projected long-term growth rate is about 4.5%.
    Aug 16, 2013. 12:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment