John Petersen

View John Petersen's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Axion Power Concentrator 386: Jan. 12, 2015 [View instapost]
    I expect Jay to write a letter before the end of the month, but I'm not willing to speak for him.
    Jan 23, 2015. 12:34 PM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 386: Jan. 12, 2015 [View instapost]
    I don't think we mis-judged the people at Axion but we sure as hell mis-judged the customers, or at least i did.

Life is full of lessons and the biggest lesson I've learned from Axion is that I don't ever want to get involved in another company that wants to develop a component upgrade for a mega-user because you thrive or wallow over somebody else's business decisions and processes.

Even if you build an objectively better mousetrap you're still at somebody else's mercy. I took the gig with ePower because they'll be selling directly to the end user. If the plan had been to develop a drivetrain and sell or license it to an OEM I'd have run away screaming.
    Jan 23, 2015. 10:23 AM | 16 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 386: Jan. 12, 2015 [View instapost]
    The only people who are ever happy with the outcome of class action lawsuits are the lawyers that file them. I'm beyond shocked by the market because it's 180 degrees out of synch with what I know about the battery, but it seems that fear of the "killer Bs" is firmly in charge.

It's terribly frustrating to see a decade of successful science ruined by financial vultures, but sometimes bad things happen to good projects.
    Jan 23, 2015. 07:17 AM | 16 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 386: Jan. 12, 2015 [View instapost]
    May 2021 through February 2031. See Page 13.

Jan 21, 2015. 08:36 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 386: Jan. 12, 2015 [View instapost]
    FWIW my presentation script says:

"ePower is a classic garage start-up.

We spent five years working with off-the-shelf, remanufactured and salvaged components because that’s what garage start-ups do.

Our mission was to narrow the freight efficiency gap between railroads and trucks by taking a page from the railroad’s play-book and building a series hybrid drivetrain for the highway.

We succeeded!"

Ideas and technologies that change the world don't emerge from the bowels of major corporations. They emerge from the fertile imaginations of individuals with conviction and an extraordinary tolerance for risk.
    Jan 17, 2015. 06:06 PM | 14 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 386: Jan. 12, 2015 [View instapost]
    You might want to send SA a note inquiring whether comments can be edited by them. While I have a hard time believing that anybody would want to hack an individual user's account, I guess anything is possible.
    Jan 15, 2015. 09:39 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 386: Jan. 12, 2015 [View instapost]
    AFAIK SA Moderation does not have the ability to edit comments. They either delete them or leave them alone.
    Jan 15, 2015. 08:31 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 386: Jan. 12, 2015 [View instapost]
    It's a little dated, but this 2011 report from Sandia pegs typical balance of system costs at about $400 per kW for inverters and power control electronics.

Maybe those things are free now?
    Jan 14, 2015. 01:23 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 386: Jan. 12, 2015 [View instapost]
    It always amazes me when battery promoters wax poetic on the cost of batteries without mentioning their balance of system costs and then compound the omission by assuming that the power producer won't expect to be paid for the electricity used to charge the battery in the first place.
    Jan 14, 2015. 11:59 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 386: Jan. 12, 2015 [View instapost]
    I don't think the majority is anywhere near surrender, but I've heard from many who think the tone of the commentary has gotten so nasty over the last year that they'd rather not participate. I understand the feeling but don't feel the same liberty to simply walk away.
    Jan 13, 2015. 09:53 PM | 22 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 386: Jan. 12, 2015 [View instapost]
    I think Axion's current market cap is beyond ridiculous but that's what happens after a concerted effort to undermine stockholder confidence and support.

Axion should survive as an independent entity, but most of the current board members are strangers to me and I have no way to assess their determination or likely future actions. Without more knowledge than I have, my opinion about whether Axion will survive would be no better than anybody else's.

I think all of Axion's founders underestimated the cost, time and effort required to introduce a new battery to the market. I know I did. I don't agree with the consensus that Tom wasn't competent or that somebody needs to accept "blame" for a lack of sales. The fact is I don't see any battery technology developers that are tearing it up selling products. Some companies like Ambri and Aquion have more political stroke than others and seem adept at landing porkbarrel projects, but nobody except the major battery manufacturers seems to have consistent revenue streams from paying customers that are spending their own money.

My ePower experience has satisfied me that the PbC is an extraordinary battery so I don't think the technology will simply disappear. I'd rather see ePower buy the PbC from Axion, but we'll follow the battery technology.
    Jan 13, 2015. 07:31 PM | 18 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 386: Jan. 12, 2015 [View instapost]
    I read every comment but refrain from commenting unless I have something worthwhile to add to the conversation.
    Jan 13, 2015. 05:45 PM | 13 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 385: Dec. 29, 2014 [View instapost]
    The earliest patents, particularly 6,466,429, 6,628,504 and 6,706,079, predate the Ultrabattery patents by several years and include broad language on the subject of electrode composition. From my perspective, those patents give rise to increasingly important issues as the AC concentration rises.

On several occasions Ed Buiel publicly expressed his view that the original Ultrabattery infringed Axion's foundation patents. If, as we suspect, they've abandoned the split electrode approach they began with, the IP issues could be very problematic.

You have exhausted the depth of my patent knowledge and further cross-examination will not increase anybody's knowledge.
    Jan 12, 2015. 09:30 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 385: Dec. 29, 2014 [View instapost]
    I made an observation based on my knowledge of what Axion's patents claim. I did not reach a legal conclusion because I don't have a strong enough foundation in patent law to do so.

In batteries, the surface area of the active NAM is everything because useful chemical and electrostatic reactions all occur at the surface interface between the NAM and the electrolyte.

A gram of lead has a very small surface area because of the nature of the raw material. A gram of AC, in contrast, has a massive surface area.
    Jan 12, 2015. 06:21 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 385: Dec. 29, 2014 [View instapost]
    Most legal judgments are relative and while it's easy to argue that an A/C content of a few percent that's less than 50% of NAM volume is a carbon additive, it much harder to make that argument when the A/C represents a majority of the NAM volume and the lead is merely a heavy additive. While I don't have a strong enough foundation to reach firm conclusions, A/C in the 75% of volume range is quite high.
    Jan 11, 2015. 02:59 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment