John Petersen

View John Petersen's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Axion Power Concentrator 382: Nov. 22, 2014 [View instapost]
    Show me one other developer of a new battery technology that's knocking them out of the park on the sales front. I've seen tons of PR and government funded demonstrations, but you'll look long and hard to find an Axion peer with substantial real sales to paying customers.
    Nov 25, 2014. 08:47 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 382: Nov. 22, 2014 [View instapost]
    ePower is not a mega-scale company but many of our target customers are. The business processes are not complete until all stakeholders are satisfied. When we get the final approvals we'll be ready to act immediately. Until we have everything we need we'll continue to act like responsible adult businessmen.
    Nov 25, 2014. 08:44 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 382: Nov. 22, 2014 [View instapost]
    Axion needs to tell its own story Bazoooka and I hope the new management team is up to the task. I can talk about what the PbC does in our application and speculate about what it might do in other applications, but Axion is the only one with enough facts to make its case to end users.
    Nov 25, 2014. 04:14 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power, A Deep Alpha Opportunity With A Clear Timeline [View article]
    Lead acid batteries have been insurable for years. Given lithium's nasty propensity to cause impressive fires that are impossible to extinguish, it will be fascinating to see how the insurers react.
    Nov 25, 2014. 04:05 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 382: Nov. 22, 2014 [View instapost]
    Methinks the speaker list may be aspirational at this point. It was very important for me to speak last year to introduce the ePower technology to the EV tech set. From here on out I'd rather focus on truck buyers at events like the Mid-America Truck Show.

FWIW, I have no problem with discussion, but I have no tolerance for criticism from people who've never even seen our product, much less evaluated our data in detail. There are also business issues that I'm not free to discuss. If my alleged friends won't give me the space to speak when I can and remain silent when I must, then my only choice will be to remain silent until I must speak. It's not my preferred path because I value prudent transparency, but I do have to color inside the lines or accept the risk of doing more harm than good.
    Nov 25, 2014. 02:44 PM | 16 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 382: Nov. 22, 2014 [View instapost]
    Most L5 batteries are 12-volt devices rather than 16-volt. A 16-volt configuration makes a lot of sense if you want to accommodate the PbC's sloping voltage curve, but it would have limited utility with conventional and enhanced lead-acid chemistry.
    Nov 25, 2014. 12:08 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 382: Nov. 22, 2014 [View instapost]
    Rick> I have no concerns that Axion will disappear. While the price chart has been dismal for the last five years the technological progress and accumulated proof of performance has been extraordinary. Even if something very bad happens to Axion, I think it's unlikely that the PbC will disappear because the technology is too valuable.

Ultimately, if bad things happen to Axion and the PbC, ePower can and will re-engineer the drivetrain to accommodate a more costly and complex battery from somebody else. We'd rather keep our drivetrain as simple and cheap as possible, but given a choice between adding cost and complexity or closing the doors, added cost and complexity wins.

The PbC is our first choice by a wide margin, but it's not our only option. Since you have no real grasp of what our system does or why it works I'd be happiest if you refrained from mentioning our name until you understand what we do and why our system works.
    Nov 25, 2014. 12:02 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 381: Nov. 16, 2014 [View instapost]
    What meaningful revenues?

A vehicle launch at an indeterminate future date does not put meaningful revenues on the horizon. Besides, I don't blame the price decline on Axion's business performance which has actually been better than most of its peers. From my perspective, the first last and only cause of the miserable stock price chart is a supply and demand imbalance originating from the bad behavior of the dirty dozen. Many have other opinions, but that doesn't change mine.
    Nov 24, 2014. 09:33 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 382: Nov. 22, 2014 [View instapost]
    We have not started testing yet because we're finalizing business process issues. I expect those issues to be resolved within a week or two, but until all stakeholders are in agreement we're simply following the path.
    Nov 24, 2014. 06:59 PM | 13 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 382: Nov. 22, 2014 [View instapost]
    Stefan> You can assume whatever you bloody well want to assume (and will undoubtedly do so with or without my express permission) but I'd give long odds that your assumptions will be dead wrong. You have no right to try and hold any customer's feet to the fire and ePower is no exception. We will talk when we have something to say.

I'm incredibly excited about the commencement of fleet testing but I'm not willing to discuss the intricacies of implementing our plan. We're far more interested in doing this thing right than we are in doing it fast. Doing it right is more complicated than simply turning the keys over to a contractor, which we could do tomorrow if there were no other interests to consider or accommodate.

We have not encountered any truck problems and we're very happy with the way both tractors are performing. The only remaining items on our check list are business process issues and most of those items require action from somebody else. As much as I might like to rush the project, trying to do so would be pushing a rope uphill.

Give it a rest, relax and enjoy the holidays. I'm having a great time visiting my family in Arizona.
    Nov 24, 2014. 06:03 PM | 17 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power, A Deep Alpha Opportunity With A Clear Timeline [View article]
    The gulf between discussion and implementation is wide and deep. BMW and Tesla haven't agreed to do anything yet.

SolarCity is very skilled at selling uneconomic hardware to mathematically challenged idealists. It will be fun to see just how many residential storage suckers they can find.
    Nov 24, 2014. 03:04 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 382: Nov. 22, 2014 [View instapost]
    If four year of data tells you what PbC 1.0 will do, an Excel spreadsheet can tell you all you need to know about what PbC 2.0 can do. Likewise, using an 856 battery slug will give you a great idea of what a 1,700 battery slug will do. NS already has all the batteries they need until they're ready to build an OTR slug.
    Nov 24, 2014. 03:01 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 382: Nov. 22, 2014 [View instapost]
    I'm done predicting dates for this crowd. When the tractor is rolling with a pair of FedEx pup trailers I'll post pictures, until then I'll do my job outside the view of the sidewalk superintendents.
    Nov 24, 2014. 02:58 PM | 17 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 381: Nov. 16, 2014 [View instapost]
    I don't believe it was a mistake to decide that the LC SuperHybrid project would have been a suboptimal use of Axion's resources.

The project was expensive and the mechanical components got all the press. While Kia is making noises about launching a 48-volt system at a future date, it will still be a couple years before the revenue from battery sales is meaningful to anybody.

In a hypothetical company that has unlimited funding to throw at costly PR projects, the LC SuperHybrid might have been attractive. In a real world company like Axion that has to pick and choose between opportunities, spending a little bit of money supporting a company makes a lot more sense than spending a lot of money supporting something like the LC SuperHybrid.
    Nov 24, 2014. 02:54 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 382: Nov. 22, 2014 [View instapost]
    ePower's path crossed Axion's in 2010, but it took three more years for a business relationship to develop. The suggestion that ePower is a child of Axion is offensive and demeans both companies.

Taking cheap shots at Axion's customers is contemptible and a great way to ensure that ePower will communicate with the people who matter and ignore the rest of you.
    Nov 23, 2014. 05:07 PM | 22 Likes Like |Link to Comment