John Petersen

View John Petersen's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Axion Power Concentrator 151: Sep. 15, 2012: APMarshall's Sep 2012 CEDIA Notes & Updated John Petersen Charts [View instapost]
    I mentioned in a side note that I found the numbers particularly intriguing because a lot of people won't respond to the kind of question you asked and forums like the Concentrators appeal primarily to active investors who pay close attention to their holdings. I think it could be useful for management to know the rough reported holdings of Axion's most active investors.
    Sep 17 09:41 AM | 67 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 338: May 29 '14: Q1 '1 CC Transcript & MP3 Available; Q1 '14 Filing Released;Axion Receives 4 Powercubes Order; Reverse Split Consent Solicitation Filed [View instapost]
    Given the poll results we've seen on the Concentrators and the number of shares outstanding, I don't see any way to tell whether its a large holder selling or just somebody who bought a couple hundred thousand shares in December deciding to take a profit.

Over the years I've become a firm believer in the 80-20 rule which suggests that 20% of Axion's stockholders will own 80% of its stock. If you assume a base of 4,000 holders, the 80-20 rule would suggest that 800 holders own 176 million shares for an average of 220,000 each.

Just for grins I'll ask everybody who owns more than 300,000 shares to like this comment and ask everyone who doesn't own 300,000 share to just watch.
    May 30 11:32 AM | 57 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The tractor is out of the shop and seems to be behaving as we hoped it would. We're about 1,000 pounds lighter with a 68 mph cruising speed and our sense from the fuel burn readings coming off the ECM is that we got a big chunk of the efficiency gains we were hoping for.

The next steps will be adding weight to find out where performance begins to suffer followed by detailed fuel economy testing that focuses on the heavier weight ranges. It will probably be the end of next week before we're ready to discuss details and turn the tractor over to our first freight hauler, but I'm smiling this morning.
    May 29 08:25 AM | 56 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lithium-Ion Batteries Were A Bust, But Advanced Lead-Acid Batteries Are Booming [View article]
    I've grown tired with discussing investment issues in the EV space because it's almost like discussing politics or religion. Readers want to discuss beliefs rather than facts and I think facts are the only thing that matters. While there's been a lot of important things going on over the last few months, most of them aren't things I can write about without resorting to pablum or op-ed pieces. If I can't write substance I'd rather stay quiet.

I've written a total of 18 articles since July 1st. Seven of them have been Editors' Picks and I like that high ground.
    Dec 14 09:13 AM | 48 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 337: May 25 '14: Q1 '1 CC Transcript & MP3 Available; Q1 '14 Filing Released;Axion Receives 4 Powercubes Order; Reverse Split Consent Solicitation Filed [View instapost]
    I want to thank APH for calling time out and thank jakurtz for stepping into the breach with some badly needed support.

The last few days have given me a chance to reflect on recent slippage in my courtesy quotient. Since I'm a firm believer in the idea that friends should know how to disagree without being disagreeable, I'm going to try very hard to take my game up a notch or two and recognize that we all have a common goal even when our opinions on the best way to achieve the goal differ.
    May 25 08:13 AM | 43 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla's Non-GAAP Fairy Tale [View article]
    I think you missed the point.

I've never had a short position in Tesla or any other company.

This article is all about Teslas's cynical willingness to ignore centuries old accounting standards to make their quarterly numbers look better for naive stockholders who seem willing to accept the sophistry that lease accounting is an optional formality rather than a fundamental requirement. Fairy tale accounting is a very bad thing in a public company, particularly in a public company that's as grossly overvalued as Tesla.
    Aug 10 04:24 AM | 43 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 273: Oct. 9 '13: APMarshall AGM Notes; 10Q Filing For Q2; John Petersen On PIPE Mechanics & Incentives [View instapost]
    This afternoon I agreed to take a job as ePower's executive vice president and chief financial officer. My principal focus will be managing the finance, government and industry relationships that will drive ePower’s growth.

It's going to be a huge challenge keeping ePower financed and on track, but there aren't many companies that have the potential to slash fuel consumption in the trucking sector by 30 billion gallons a year. It's a legacy worth working for.

There will be a press release tomorrow morning and a follow up article in Batteries International next week.
    Oct 9 07:31 PM | 42 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kandi Technologies: The Latest Bubble Stock? [View article]
    Kandi is an automaker, not a fuel cell promoter. Its revenues for the first nine months of 2013 were $44 million and its Q4 revenue ramped to $50.5 million. There is more than adequate reason to believe revenue will continue to ramp at rapid rates as it rolls an inexpensive EV car-sharing model through the most densely populated cities in China, which means the company is trading at significantly less than 4x anticipated 2014 revenue. The stock has had a great run and may well be due for a pullback, but when you compare KNDI with TSLA which trades at 10x sales and over 40x book value, the price doesn't seem all that unreasonable.
    Mar 18 07:55 AM | 41 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 300: Feb. 01 '14: Q3 '13 Results; Sale Of PowerCube™ ESS; John Petersen Joins EPower [View instapost]
    This is a special day in Axionistaville. We're starting on the 300th installment of the Axion Concentrator series and have made a cumulative total of 72,304 comments to date. While I figured that interest would wane within a few weeks after Mayascribe's report on the 2011 stockholders meeting that got the ball rolling, the series has become one of the most amazing viral social media phenomena I've ever seen.

I think we all owe a debt of gratitude to Mayascribe for getting the ball rolling; to APH for keeping the conversation civil and refreshing the Instablog on a regular basis; and to all of the commenters who take the time to share their knowledge, research, speculation and opinion in an environment that's amazingly collegial and free of the nonsense you see on other message boards.
    Jan 30 12:47 PM | 40 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Tesla's Gigafactory Becoming A Gigafarce? [View article]
    I've never lost money by underestimating the potential but I've lost a couple of small fortunes by underestimating the risks. When it comes to investing, there is no such thing as overthinking.
    Apr 8 07:13 AM | 38 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 203: Jan. 27: Axion Power PbC Batteries Continue To Demonstrate Effectiveness For Railroad Applications Norfolk Southern [View instapost]
    Thanks to a gracious invitation from bwarneke, I was able to tag along on his visit to ePower. We spent about 3-1/2 hours with their team getting a first hand introduction to the truck, their series hybrid electric drive and the performance of the PbC batteries in their initial testing. While they didn't offer to let either of us drive, test rides in the tractor were part of the show.

The quick and dirty report is that ePower has the truck up and running and they are delighted with the battery performance because the truck is finally running the way they want it to run and not exhibiting any of the performance problems they've had with other batteries. To quote ePower's CTO, the truck and the batteries are "very happy together."

While ePower has been delighted with the regen performance, they've been babying the batteries by limiting depth of discharge. Over the next two weeks they plan to ramp the demands on the batteries by going to a deeper discharge in an effort to find out whether the truck can hurt them.

Since I'm working on an iPad tonight I can't offer a full report but I'll try to cobble together an Instablog tomorrow afternoon with more detail. Bwarneke has another trip scheduled for tomorrow and will be out of pocket for a couple days but I'm confident that he'll add his thoughts when time permits.

There are two Axionistas who are very glad they made the trip.
    Jan 29 07:55 PM | 37 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Alice in EVland, Part II: The Hall of Mirrors [View article]
    The one advantage I enjoyed was that my schooling included both mathematics and critical thought. I'm sorry you never learned to question your own assumptions or disagree without being disagreeable. I do, however, wish you the best of luck with your investments.
    Dec 1 02:13 PM | 37 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Plug-in Vehicles: Toyota Tells the Unvarnished Truth [View article]
    I always have doubts when a manufacturer looks at something they've never done and quickly answers "sure, we can do that," because it usually means they don't understand the issues or the complexity. When the most experienced manufacturer of electric-drive vehicles on the planet says "this is a tough nut to crack and we're not sure we can build a product consumers will accept," it usually means they do understand.
    Jul 11 09:01 AM | 37 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 285: Nov. 21 '13: Q3 '13 Results; Sale Of PowerCube™ ESS; John Petersen Joins EPower [View instapost]
    I just talked to Jay. We got the engine running the way we want it to.

All our wiring harness work arounds worked properly and the last remaining problem was a broken fan sensor. With any luck we'll be able to schedule load testing for next week and then get the engine in the sleeper cab for fuel economy testing.
    Nov 26 12:37 PM | 36 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 354 July 31 '14: David DiGiacinto Appointed Chairman And CEO; Share Reverse Split And Authorized Share Reduction Approved; Q1 '1 CC Transcript & MP3 Available [View instapost]
    I find this entire thread pathetic. Suggesting that the note amendment somehow changes Axion's ability to secure financing is like suggesting that somebody can't sell or lease a commercial building because he has a mortgage. Bob Averill will be first in line when the financing closes and the financiers will probably want to pay him directly from the closing escrow, but it's all a tempest in a teapot.

For the third time in this Concentrator. This is the type of ordinary course of business corporate clean-up one frequently sees as prelude to a financing transaction because the other side always has lawyers who are paid to make sure all the "T"s have been crossed and all the "I"s have been dotted.
    Jul 31 05:51 PM | 34 Likes Like |Link to Comment