John Polomny

View John Polomny's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Iconix Brand Acquires Strawberry Shortcake; Why You Should Care And Follow Along [View article]
    Chris,

Great writeup on an under followed stock. Bought this a while ago in anticipation of the Peanuts movie and tie ins. However the more I look at it the better I like it. I like the management and the focus on growing overseas.
    Feb 7, 2015. 06:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Anti-austerity Syriza set to sweep Greek elections [View news story]
    Politicians always lie to get into office. So it is in Greece. The Greek people do not want austerity but they have also said they do not want to leave the Euro and go back to the days of constant drachma devaluation. I suspect that there will be some combination of debt restructuring combined with some let up in austerity. The Troika will not fully let up just as all the pain is starting to show results. Syriza will get with the German program as they will not have a choice.
    Jan 25, 2015. 02:19 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Coming Euro Crash [View article]
    "the cradle of western civilization"...."to say nothing of Greece's staggeringly incompetent leaders."

The leaders are just a reflection of the people themselves. The people themselves are to blame. This is what they want and continue to "vote" for. The delusion that one can live off their neighbor simply by pulling a lever in a voting booth continues. People generally get what they deserve and this applies to the Greeks.
    Jan 18, 2015. 02:09 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Predictions For 2015 [View article]
    All too general to make a statement on, but I have a better question: Why do people in the USA (Specifically Texas and California) go to Mexico to get health care (operations, etc.)? Mexico has universal healthcare. Mexico is a relatively poor country.

I live on the border in South Texas. No one from the US is going to Progresso to have open heart surgery or their knee replaced. Snowbirds go over and get their teeth cleaned and pick cheap prescription drugs while grabbing lunch and a couple of beers. Your assertion is ridiculous.
    Jan 2, 2015. 05:45 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Predictions For 2015 [View article]
    Paying taxes for the good of the whole is slavery? This philosophy of selfishness is sad. What happened to "'Love your neighbor as yourself"?

Love thy neighbor as you yourself say. You don't see the contradiction in your own statement? Confiscating others production against their will is theft. How is that loving your neighbor? What I find sad is that many people like yourself think it is ok to use violence and coercion to provide benefits to those that did not earn them. You, like the good doctor are free to devote all your energies and all your wealth to "helping those less fortunate" and I will commend you for your generosity.

What you are not morally and ethically free to do is use force to extract wealth from other producers and give it to people because it makes you feel good, less guilty, or whatever other hole in your soul that you trying to fill by being a nice guy with others money. How do you know that the benefit that is being provided by your confiscation has a higher moral use than the one I would have given it if it was not confiscated by you?

The last century was filled with many world improvers, busy bodies, and know it all's like yourself who thought they knew what was best for society. When they could not convince people that their way was the best way they interned, jailed, asset stripped, conducted pogroms, re-educated and murdered over 100 million people that did not see things their way. How was that moral?

No sir what is shortsighted is the failure to understand natural law, human nature, and history.
    Jan 2, 2015. 05:39 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Predictions For 2015 [View article]
    "All of Europe? All countries enter a decline after a run up in economy. Check out countries that do not have universal healthcare, and see if the same run down is present. The US has only been a world economic power for 110 years. "Europe," 1000?"

What does this have to do with the facts that in order to provide universal healthcare someone has to pay? The government is not a cornucopia of never ending wealth. In order for the government to provide a benefit it has to confiscate wealth from some producer. When governments confiscate too much from producers to provide free stuff to people that have not earned them then the economy can not create wealth at its full potential. That is the point of my argument. You have drifted off into rhetoric which I don't do. Switch to dialectic and we can continue.
    Jan 2, 2015. 05:22 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Predictions For 2015 [View article]
    "the US was the only developed country without universal health insurance. This was a scandal, and makes us more akin to a banana republic."

As a physician you have the right to treat all the patients you want for no cost. You seem concerned about people without insurance so I am asking if you do that. If you are than good for you sir you should be commended for your generosity. However I suspect you do not give away the majority of your time.

What you are doing is advocating that the fruits of others labor be confiscated to pay for other peoples healthcare. That sir is slavery. That is more akin to a banana republic than what you suggest. The problem with all of these utopian schemes is who pays. Vermont, one of the most "progressive" places in the US, finally threw in the towel because it would result in "enormous" tax increases. It seems that even progressives in Vermont do not want to pay for others healthcare if they actually have to have their taxes raised to pay for it.

The Europeans have chosen to do this and we see the results; moribund economies, unpayable debt, and economic decline. It always comes down to two questions who pays and how much. It turns out people do not want to pay for utopia. It is not a right wing conspiracy it is called reality.
    Jan 1, 2015. 09:47 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mongolia Weekly Update [View instapost]
    It seems whenever the Mongolians are faced with a decision they choose the course of action which causes the most negative outcome possible. Truly the definition of stupidity. Its like a bunch of little kids are in charge.
    Dec 31, 2014. 01:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Frontier Markets, With A Focus On Mongolia [View article]
    Although no one likes the long slow share decline the company has been executing. I have been to UB and have seen how the city is layed out. If you understand that than you understand that MGG's focus on "high street retail" is working. They are nearly 100% leased up. The overriding currency issues and economic issues are weighing on the stock but the value is there. I think necessity forces the GOM to make the necessary changes to improve the economy and that perceptions will change. History in other emerging markets shows that as the per capita GDP increases propensity to spend increases and that means rents for high street retail benefits. Nothing has really changed except the idea has gotten cheaper. Tax loss selling has exacerbated the decline as people get frustrated and sell out.
    Dec 29, 2014. 09:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Frontier Markets, With A Focus On Mongolia [View article]
    It seems the consortium for TT was picked yesterday. This seems like a positive.

It stands to reason it was the Chinese and Japanese, they have given enough soft loans and support.
    Dec 23, 2014. 07:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Snap Up The Immense Opportunity In Exxon Mobil Corporation [View article]
    Indeed, why not buy positions in areas that will benefit from a low oil price. India and China ETF's look good as they are big importers of oil, airlines, trucking, FEDEx and UPS....etc..
    Dec 4, 2014. 01:18 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Russia Obituaries Premature; RSX Could Be A Strong Bet Next Year [View article]
    "Does that make Putin not a thug?

Yes Putin is a thug, so what? My view is that most politicians, and certainly the leaders of most larger countries, are thugs or knaves. We are just talking degree in my view.

"As I said, I have no problem with anyone who cares to explain why his investing in Russia is not a bad thing for the rest of us."

Here is my explanation; I don't care about you. You are not my family, my friend, my neighbor. I owe you nothing.

My strategic interests, as you put it, are to take care of my own. I do that by speculating and investing in world markets. As far as investing in Russia, I justify it simply by the fact it is cheap and a contrarian view.

The fact stands that you are a hypocrite by your own statements. In your world it is okay to invest in China but not Russia because Putin is a thug but the Chinese leaders are not? We don't know why you think like this because you don't explain yourself. But that's what rhetoricians and lawyers do, they do not explain they talk emotionally to get a reaction.

You can deflect and play the victim but you are still a typical simple minded nationalist. People like you have sent millions to their deaths in wars with rhetoric and simplistic black hat white hat arguments.

I am an American by birth but this is not my country anymore. It is filled with simpletons like you that wrap themselves in American flags and spout cold war nonsense. I have visited Russia and have a home in Kherson, Ukraine. I do not find anyone that is my enemy when I am in Russia.

You should buy some US Savings bonds and support America.
    Nov 27, 2014. 01:26 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    You say in a previous comment you are invested in China. The same China that is still ruled by the Communist Party whose legacy is the cultural revolution and the great leap forward which resulted in tens of millions of deaths. The same China that has as we speak real political repression and imprisonment of political dissidents by the thousands. The China that represses both christians and muslims. The China that is beginning to flex its regional muscles and is a real threat to its neighbors. You mean that China.

By your own standard you are a hypocrite.

Go away.

Please.

Nov 25, 2014. 04:38 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Russia is looking out for Russia? This is a surprise to you? This makes them our enemy because a bunch of ridiculous politicians in Washington DC say so? We should listen to statesman like Victoria "F**k the EU" Nuland? I will continue to buy RSX as it is cheap. In five years I think I will be happy with the results.

Your assertion that I as an American am giving "aid and comfort" to the enemy by investing in RSX is absurd. Stupid people like you are more a threat to me than anyone in Russia.
    Nov 25, 2014. 11:49 AM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Frontier Markets, With A Focus On Mongolia [View article]
    If this is true it is awesome news and somewhat unexpected. Where did you hear it?
    Sep 10, 2014. 06:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment