John R. Conway

View John R. Conway's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Revisiting The AT&T Call Option Trade [View article]
    Whether you want to play options or stocks. At least we all agree on one thing and that is AT&T going higher. I am not going to argue over who's more bullish
    Mar 3, 2012. 03:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting The AT&T Call Option Trade [View article]
    You make some good points Muoio, but I'm just going conserative on my option trades with AT&T. 40 is possible, but I am sure along the way we will see pullbacks. So you are saying you expect to see T at 40 by April? If it gets to my high end range of 33, I'll be happy and I'm sure you will be to if you have an investment in AT&T. But, just like you I am long AT&T. Thanks for you comment.
    Mar 2, 2012. 12:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wynn Resorts Is Currently A Great Opportunity [View article]
    nice comeback by wynn since this article was written. This shows why you don't want to give up on WYNN despite some short term issues, looks like the stock is poised for a breakout.
    Mar 2, 2012. 12:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting The AT&T Call Option Trade [View article]
    Thanks Doug,

AT&T up again today, but I would be careful, the stock is above the upper bollinger band. Long term I am stocking to $31.50 for my price target.
    Mar 2, 2012. 12:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Simple Option Strategies For Newer Investors To Consider [View article]
    Thanks Kevin
    Mar 1, 2012. 09:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 More Stocks That Could Collapse In 2012 [View article]
    Bill,

I think First Solar (FSLR) should be in this artilce or a continueation of this article. What do you think?
    Feb 29, 2012. 11:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Simple Option Strategies For Newer Investors To Consider [View article]
    I think sometimes we always talk about diversification in out trading portfolio's, but sometimes this isn't reasonated into the macro things in our life.
    Feb 28, 2012. 07:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Option Play For Darden's Bullish Move [View article]
    Point made: don't panic on high gas prices in the short term. DRI Stock is up nicely today and for those of you who bought in below 50 you were nicely rewarded.
    Feb 28, 2012. 05:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 3 Rules For Options [View article]
    When it comes to trading options everyone has their own style and while I don't 100% agree with yours, I'm sure their are plenty of people that don't agree with mine. I only have 2 issues with the article since I would not get this advice for beginner traders. The first issue is with Home runs and Grand slams. This seems like the professional poker tournament philosophy. When poker was popular and all over tv, you would often would see the same people always winning. But, what wasn't always said is how many tournaments they lost before they hit that big one. In reality it seems like you don't mind losing on a bunch of trades, before hitting the big trade, which hopefully will wipe out your losses. We all like the occasional home run/grand slam. but not to the point where you over leverage yourself. On rule three "Luck" while it seems appropriate for your style of trading, I just think luck shouldn't be a factor in a trade. I guess, I don't like to make trades based on luck. Eventhough I disagree with some points of your article, you do make some valid points on options trading, but I think in a disclaimer you should put not for newbie traders.
    Feb 24, 2012. 12:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why CNBC's 'Fast Money' Earnings Plays Might Be Bad Advice [View article]
    Kim,

I agree with your article. Lately the fast Money traders haven't been mentioning straddles or strangles and their trades have been one sided based on earnings or some other big event. Fast Money's short term plays have been so-so and they generally do better on longer term option plays. I enjoy their commentary on stocks and options, but if you're going to play options on earnings you (Kim) have shown over a period of time ( in performance) there are better ways to play earnings than just buying a call or put. As always thank you for the trade ideas.
    Feb 23, 2012. 05:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 More Stocks That Could Collapse In 2012 [View article]
    Bill,

Looks like you are taking a beating here on the boards. I am going to focus my comment on one of the companies that I agree with you on and that is Groupon. I don't know if Groupon will collapse, but I believe it will struggle as a long term investment. I first came across Groupon while randomly listening to a AM radio station about US business owners talking about the pros and cons of using the Groupon business model. For every positive thing you can find on Groupon's business model you will find a negative. Groupon overseas actually does a good job, but here in the US this is a different story. In the US there are so many ways someone can duplicate this business model and I have to wonder how many memberships and restaurants people will buy over time. The idea/model of Groupon is interesting since the concept of couponing has changed over the years from just clipping a paper to get a discount to now offering coupons on anything that can literally be sold. I could go on forever about issues with groupon, but I'll stick to one and that is usage of Groupon. People already devote enough time to technology companies and products. Cell phones, ebay, amazon and the list continues for technology companies and products that require/demand our time. So where does Groupon fit in? If there was no time limit on when you could purchase one of those restaurant deals, memberships or plane tickets, then heck I would be on groupon all the time and prepay for a discount on these services. Groupon can be fun to go on for time to time, but using Groupon everything single day where most people already have most of their time being consumed; this is what could hurt Groupon, is decreasing usage. Just my 2 cents, I could be wrong.
    Feb 23, 2012. 04:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Option Play For Darden's Bullish Move [View article]
    High gas prices is nothing new to restaurants. Prices at the pump are going to go up and down. I am only concerned about high gas prices if we see high prices at the pump for a long period of time. If the stock pulls back on these fears of high gas prices, this can provide a better entry point.
    Feb 23, 2012. 12:50 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Where To Invest As Oil Rears Its Ugly Head [View article]
    I like CVX, but when you take a look at a 5 year chart of cvx one notices that the 110 has been a level that cvx can't get through. Being that CVX is the oil company that is most leveraged to the price of oil, this is great when when oil is in a bullish mode, but when oil goes to the downside cvx usually follows. I agree with you that BP looks the most promising and has a lot of room to grow.
    Feb 22, 2012. 01:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • $100,000 In Apple: Eggs Meet Your Basket [View article]
    Rocco,

I was just curious on the trades you have open, these seem to all be focused on tech or have exposure to the tech sector. Do you see yourself trimming down the open trades and possibily looking at putting this captial to use in other sectors?
    Feb 21, 2012. 03:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • After Gilead's Drop: Hedging 5 Biotechnology Stocks [View article]
    Looks like the 120 level is resistance for IBB. Since 12/19 this stock is up about $17. Do you think a better way to hedge against downside in bio-tech would be to buy puts or put spreads on the IBB rather than individual names?
    Feb 21, 2012. 11:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment