John R. Conway

View John R. Conway's Comments BY TICKER:
  • $100,000 In Apple: Eggs Meet Your Basket [View article]
    Rocco,

I was just curious on the trades you have open, these seem to all be focused on tech or have exposure to the tech sector. Do you see yourself trimming down the open trades and possibily looking at putting this captial to use in other sectors?
    Feb 21, 2012. 03:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • After Gilead's Drop: Hedging 5 Biotechnology Stocks [View article]
    Looks like the 120 level is resistance for IBB. Since 12/19 this stock is up about $17. Do you think a better way to hedge against downside in bio-tech would be to buy puts or put spreads on the IBB rather than individual names?
    Feb 21, 2012. 11:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • New To Options? Consider The Deep In The Money Strategy - Part ll [View article]
    Trade Update:

I closed out GE calls today when stock was around 19.50 for about 25% profit. Anybody that bought GE when it was slightly below 19 has nicely been rewarded. When Stock was around 18.80's to 18.90's May 17 calls were going for around 2.00 to 2.10; i sold them for 2.55. This was a nice technical bounce, lets see if we see 20!
    Feb 21, 2012. 10:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Proven 41% Return For Caterpillar Option Traders [View article]
    Mexcom,

In your above statement you write, " No downside protection is needed by the long term investor." Really?? If i am long on a stock with a heavy position, you better believe I am going to take advantage of cheap protection. If you have a long term outlook on your stock buying a cheap put for about 1% of the stock price can be like buying short term auto insurance even though you don't plan on getting into a accident. Unlike stock, options can be used in a variety of ways and the author was just trying to point out CAT having some possible resistance in the $112/114 area. If you are a long term buy and hold investor, you are right an article like this won't be of much use. But, if you are a options/short term trader this article is showing someone that CAT (in the short term) may struggle to break threw this level.
    Feb 17, 2012. 09:56 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T: Deeply Undervalued [View article]
    4 billion sounds like a lot, but in reality its nothing for AT&T. Let's face it, I believe the company did some sort of risk analysis to know of the implications if the deal was to fail. The media has made AT&T management team look like they were 500% sure this deal was going to get done and management wasn't worried at all if the deal wasn't going to pass. But, in business you always have to worry about the other side (if the deal doesn't pass) and I do believe AT&T was prepared if the deal didn't pass (but this view was not represented in the media) I will agree this is not the best article in the world and I feel that AT&T is not undervalued, but underrated, but there's prob nothing anyone can write on AT&T now that we already don't know. AT&T made a bold move and something that most companies can only dream of. While this didn't pay off, this shows other competitors that AT&T will and can employ cash to buy you out/push you out/gain competitive edge/etc. I like these bold moves, by the slow moving lumbering giants. I wrote about T a while ago and since then the stock has been holding in the high 29's to low 30's range and I am still sticking to buy more T on dips under 30. My 2012 target on T is 32 and short term 30.50 to 30.70.
    Feb 16, 2012. 11:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • An Options Pullback Play On The SPY [View article]
    Andrew,

I agree with your article and I believe 1350 in the S&P will be a challenging level to break through in the short term. While I do believe we will get through 1350, I believe we will need a catalyst of some sorts to propel us past 1350. I thought about doing a trade like this, but opted for buying calls in the VXX instead a couple of days ago.
    Feb 16, 2012. 10:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T: Deeply Undervalued [View article]
    Ratings or classifications can be skewed. In a way this will force people to write long articles and while there is nothing wrong with long articles, you will most likely only see half the amount of articles you see here on SA. I just think an Ebay style rating system will only benefit the most popular authors and leave out the smaller players. In the current system everyone is allowed to have a fair chance to get pubilshed
    Feb 16, 2012. 10:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T: Deeply Undervalued [View article]
    I like when people write, "I do wish to continue to beat the drum for some type of facial rating system so that SA readers looking for detailed analysis can skip stuff like this and go to deeper stuff" yet their the one's who have yet to write an article. Sometimes we don't always need a "deeper analysis" since there is so many articles and analysis about AT&T. While there's nothing wrong with longer analysis, sometimes I like the read the short one's too, since the longer analysis can tend to over-analyze. Let's face it T and VZ are going to continue to grow profits and revenues since cell phones are a must have for the majority of people in the world. The only issue that I would have liked to see in the article is margins of the Iphone. The IPhone has been hurting T, VZ and S and I wonder in the future if these companies are going to charge more for the IPhone?
    Feb 16, 2012. 10:08 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Build Your Own Conglomerate To Beat GE [View article]
    I am curious to why no stocks mentioned that have ties to the Aerospace industry since GE is seeing strong growth in this sector? For the 2 stocks you have listed in the grocery and food stocks there is a lot of competition in this space. In my opinion if you want to build your own conglormate to beat GE, just look at where GE is predicting strong growth and find stock plays in these sectors (example aerospace and medical technology)
    Feb 13, 2012. 03:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford Motor Company: Worth The Risk? [View article]
    Overall I enjoyed your analysis of Ford. I have been wanting to buy some Jan 2013 calls, but have been waiting for a pullback to 12. One of the many things I like about your article is when you talk about average age of cars and light trucks is up to 10.8 years. While this looks great for the reliability of the cars they produce, but this hurts sales since you are not going to continually buy a car every 5 years. Despite people wanting to hold onto their cars longer, people are eventually going to have to buy a car and hopefully your next car will be with the same company. Another potential boost for Ford is increasing upside in residential and commercial construction. Despite high gas prices people and business's will continue to buy trucks, due to the many uses trucks provide. I also look for Ford to make a push for a 40-50mpg mid size cars and this can be a huge boost to their image. In the past people held on to their cars for a shorter period of time, but it looks like what Ford is doing (in terms of efficiency) is paying off despite people keeping their cars for a longer period of time.
    Feb 13, 2012. 12:23 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Strength Of Buffalo Wild Wings [View article]
    I was going to write about Buffalo Wild Wings, but looks like you beat me, that's o.k. One of the things I was going to mention is the next possible catalyst for Buffalo Wild Wings. For some restaurants their catalysts are promotions, discounts and etc. Buffalo Wild Wings is unique since a lot of their business comes around major sporting events (one example is the Super Bowl) Think about it, would you rather go to Olive Garden for the Super Bowl (if they have televisions) or Buffalo Wild Wings on their gigantic televisions spread out in the restaurants. While Buffalo Wild Wings still does a lot of good business when there are not major sporting events, these sporting events help out in sales. Buffalo Wild Wings had a great Super Bowl for sales (sold a record 7.7 million wings on super bowl) and I believe March Madness will be another catalyst. I expected there to be a mild selloff after Buffalo Wild Wings was up big on earnings, but that didn't happen today. I am hoping Feb provides a nice entry point to prepare for a busy NCAA basketball tournament. Anyways, nice article Ryan and hopefully Mizzou will take it all in the NCAA March Madness tournament while I'm drinking a cold beer at Buffalo Wild Wings.
    Feb 9, 2012. 09:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Enormous Apple Options Volume; Where Next? [View article]
    As the market goes higher and hopefully stocks follow, puts will get cheaper and provide protection or a cheap trade. However, with the current momentum Apple is having, 500 looks pretty simple. Another thing I noticed today is in the Apple weekly options. [I am not a weekly option player], but when looking at the options that expire on Feb 18th these are priced very cheaply. For example, if one was to buy at yesterdays close of 0.68 . today its high was 7.32 and closed at 4.50; a gain of 547% Not bad if you made a 68 dollar bet. In a way this goes along the lines of what Pete Najarian was saying on Fast Money tonight, that the Apple weekly options are better odds than anywhere you will find in Vegas. In my opinion this is not a bad way to play apple (if you can buy that 68 dollar lottery ticket) If I was to play weekly options, Apple seems a no brainer and I wouldn't mind losing 68 bucks since if Apple goes up a half to a full percent these weekly option prices can really move as long as the momentum can continue.
    Feb 9, 2012. 09:38 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    True, GE will likely "follow the market down if there is a pullback" but it looks as if the market wants to sell off, but is fighting it off. Let's see how the 19 level holds. My conviction is if GE can hold 19 then we could make a run for 20. When it comes to BAC I believe there were a lot of people who got in when the stock was at 5, so I wouldn't be surprised if a sell off happens. But, this can be a great opportunity for a buy on the dip (if this occurs).
    Feb 8, 2012. 03:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • New To Options? Consider The Deep In The Money Strategy [View article]
    Thanks for all the comments everyone. So far since I wrote this article Alcoa has been up. and the stock made a nice run for the 10.90's today. Time will tell if Alcoa can get to 11 and hold. If you liked this article I did a part II
    Feb 8, 2012. 02:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • New To Options? Consider The Deep In The Money Strategy [View article]
    Thanks Bill- good analysis.
    Feb 6, 2012. 12:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment