John R. Conway

View John R. Conway's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Finding Hidden Value In SuperValu: Dividend Yield Too Good To Pass Up [View article]
    Also, from a technical level with the current dividend SVU is looking a little oversold. In a one year time frame it's RSI is getting close to 30 and the stock has bounced off the 6.60 level twice, both times making some decent gains. While SVU may not be the greatest investment, starting to look good from a speculative point of view.
    Jan 27, 2012. 02:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Another thing to note about SVU is that when one looks at the grocery sector in my opinion SVU sits in the middle. They are not a dollar store like FDO or DG, nor they are not a retail/grocery store combination like a WMT, TGT or COST. SVU in my opinion is a play on increasing consumer discretionary income. This is one of the many ways one can see eps/revenue/profitability increase at SVU. There's to much competition from the grocery discounters and the big box retail/grocery combinations and with SVU sitting in the middle they have to be aggressive, otherwise being stuck in the middle is not a good thing.
    Jan 27, 2012. 11:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Alcoa, Century Aluminum Too Risky Given Macro Uncertainty [View article]
    In my opinion Alcoa is a stock that is always going to have ups and downs depending on the economy/market. Sometimes the problem with trading With Alcoa (in a way) you are betting that production, demand, supply, price of aluminum, etc will be will be continuing to work in Alcoa's favor and the share price will reflect that in the upward direction. If you play a wait and see attitude toward Alcoa, you could miss the boat and end up buying at a higher price. Alcoa can be the type of stock that you have to make the bet, before you see the macroeconomic results. It may be a while before we see the high's of 2011 with Alcoa, but with so many stocks flirting at their 52 week highs or all time highs I feel a little more comfortable making a trade in Alcoa at these levels then buying at 2011 highs. Ten dollars looks like a level if Alcoa holds this there is still room for Alcoa to rise to 11-12 dollar level. I do enjoy your article since there are risks to Alcoa and that Alcoa is linked to the macroeconomy, I would just be bearish on Alcoa if the stock was higher.
    Jan 26, 2012. 03:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Win Investing-Related Stuff (No Purchase Necessary!) [View instapost]
    88.98 46million shares
    Jan 25, 2012. 02:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • An Option Strategy For A Pullback In SPDR Select Technology Fund [View article]

Another thing I wanted to point out in this article is while I'm not bearish on tech, I wanted to point out that put options are getting cheaper with the vix at low's we haven't seen since 2005. Just like when one buys stock, you want to buy low and sell high. With puts getting lower this could be time to take advantage of cheap insurance.
    Jan 25, 2012. 02:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bullish Option Play On Pfizer [View article]
    Selling a covered call is not a bad idea either and I wouldn't mind getting called away if PFE went higher. I'm just offering a stock replacement strategy. The 19's have a good delta and I'm getting 10% protection at the 19 strike. The last couple of days the price action has been going lower, but fighting back. PFE seems like it wants to go higher when it bounces higher of the lows for the day. On a technical level PFE is sitting in this 21.50 to 22 level and I believe there will be a resolution. If PFE gets to 22 and can find support, this will hopefully solve the resolution to the next leg upside. There's also many large market cap, 4% or higher paying dividend and positive fundamental companies at their 52 week/ all time highs still heading higher and PFE could be the next stock looking to break 3 year highs. My thesis on the trade on PFE, is that I would rather speculate on PFE heading higher using calls however, I will be looking to add to my position on a pullback in the stock. I also like pfizer as a defensive stock to rotate into when other sectors are seeing rotation out of (example: tech) Thanks for the comment.
    Jan 19, 2012. 11:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bullish Option Play On Pfizer [View article]
    I don't own shares. I'm just buying the calls and will sell to close when profit occurs. The dividend is great, but since I don't own shares I won't be getting the dividend. A call buying strategy is when your bullish on a stock, but maybe making a play using options is cheaper than outright purchase of the stock.
    Jan 19, 2012. 07:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • E-Book Published On Daily Options Strategy [View instapost]
    Download kindle app for pc and you can view it on your pc
    Jan 18, 2012. 01:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • E-Book Published On Daily Options Strategy [View instapost]
    Can't wait to buy your e-book and Rocca Pendola's e-book. I'm glad to see some new authors on the scene, especially when it comes to options.
    Jan 18, 2012. 12:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wynn Resorts Is Currently A Great Opportunity [View article]
    thanks for your input kevin
    Jan 16, 2012. 02:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wynn Resorts Is Currently A Great Opportunity [View article]

I believe that Wynn is still a buy near 100, just curious if you still feel the same. However, what do you think of MGM. Seems like they are gaining on the negative news of WYNN and so far are up over 10% since December.
    Jan 15, 2012. 02:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Ingenious Way To Profit From JPMorgan's Earnings Prior To Their Release [View article]
    Seems like if one did a strangle instead of a straddle you would of performed better. Right now if you had the Jan 21 (35) straddle the calls are getting killed, but the puts are not gaining that much
    Jan 13, 2012. 11:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Call Option Trade On AT&T [View article]
    Trade Update:

From the price I recommended on this trade the calls to buy at were 2.17 If you waited until AT&T went under 30 and then bought the March 28 call you could have grabbed them for 1.90 (2.37-1.90= 47 bucks profit per contract)They now traded for a high of 2.37 Hypothetically if you bought 5 call contracts at the 2.17 price you would have a gain of 100 (not including commissions)

5 times 217=$1085
    Total Commissions= 27.48
    Close 5 calls (2.37 times 5=1185)

100 minus trading commissions 27.48=72.52
    This equates to a 6.5% gain
    Jan 12, 2012. 10:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Supervalu And Safeway: 2 Staying Alive Stories [View article]
    I would agree the sell off with SVU was overdone. If the 7 level can hold i'm going to take a close look at buying shares, if 7 doesn't hold the 6.50 level would be my next level I would consider buying.
    Jan 12, 2012. 05:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Option Strategies On General Electric [View article]
    Thats also been a profitable strategy since General Electric's dip below 15.
    Jan 12, 2012. 05:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment