John R. Conway

View John R. Conway's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Will J.C. Penney's Price Perception Show Investors The Money? [View article]
    We have seen a nice pullback, since the article was written; below my expectations. I will be watching closely and looking to be a buyer of calls. Will keep updated.
    Mar 20, 2013. 03:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sherwin-Williams Still Showing Investors The Color Of Money [View article]
    Keeps slowly climbing higher--$172 today, not overpriced.
    Mar 20, 2013. 03:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Protecting Your Portfolio With These Leveraged ETFs [View article]
    Thanks for the comment and currently with the market teetering with 14K and a number of political obstacles coming up these leveraged ETF's are a good way to take protection on the market. However, I wouldn't want to use these as a hedge against high dividend stocks, but would rather use these etf's as a hedge on certain events that come up from time to time and where expectations not being met can drive the market lower ( jobs report, economic numbers, just my opinion, etc etc).
    Feb 25, 2013. 10:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amerco: Move And Store Your Cash In This Stock [View article]
    Great written article and UHAL was a name I have been waiting to get in on a pullback. In my opinion I like these type of niche plays and UHAL is a great way to play housing (more specifically rental housing). One of the other great advantages is UHAL's over 16,000 distribution points across America where others can't even come close. Weather it's good times or bad times there will always be a need to move.
    Feb 15, 2013. 10:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gordmans: More Downside Or Is The Stock Bottoming Out? [View article]
    Stephenelkins,

Thanks for the comment and I agree with your comment, "I think the changes that Gordmans needs to make is actually with the expansion itself" Here in the St. Louis area Gordman's has five stores around the St. Louis area. The stores are a great fit for St. Louis and the north west suburbs of the Chicago land area as these demographics tend to be the people with upper middle incomes that don't want to pay mall prices, but still want a recognizable/quality product.

Gordman's shares have been beaten up and with the management focused on achieving higher sales through expansion, I believe this to be possible in the future. New stores are performing in-line with expectations and new stores typically take 1-3 years before they start making a profit. Another positive note about Gordman's is that they are not dependent on mall traffic as Gordmans is usually mixed in med sized shopping centers in busy traffic locations. In my opinion I believe most of the bad news to be priced in and I got in @$12.20 as a speculative trade and im looking for $14 in the short term.

Feb 6, 2013. 05:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Will J.C. Penney's Price Perception Show Investors The Money? [View article]
    JCP has already been built, Mr. Johnson is just changing the company. There will be plenty of opportunities to buy JCP, I would rather wait for 17-18 as if the stock struggles at the high 20's this will provide a better opportunity.
    Feb 5, 2013. 03:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will J.C. Penney's Price Perception Show Investors The Money? [View article]
    If JCP goes to 17-18 not a bad area to speculate in, but all comes to down to earnings. With so much negative sentiment towards JCP anything that remotely sounds good could give shares a nice pop and we could see low 20's quickly. But, if the stock struggles at that level, could be more downside to go.
    Jan 31, 2013. 07:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Will J.C. Penney's Price Perception Show Investors The Money? [View article]
    I will say I do like the design layout and flow on the new updated J.C. Penney's. There ads are priced to not have a generic look to them and give them a clean and polished image. I'll give you credit on the vibrancy of the stores, but the main focus will always be price since that is going to dictate demand from customers.
    Jan 31, 2013. 06:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Global Warming? No Sweat: Buy An Air Conditioning Stock [View article]
    WHR also a great way to play housing
    Jan 27, 2013. 03:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PetSmart Due For A Correction [View article]
    I agree with the comment above (DMS123) and when it comes to shorting in my opinion there are many other better plays than Petsmart. Generally the demographics that go to Petsmart are families with children and people who are passionate about their pets. Now this doesn't mean if you go to Wal-mart and buy dog food that your not passionate about your pets, but when it comes to the customer experience you get at PetSmart, you are most likely to come back.

I think the mentioning that "PetSmart is over-staffed. PetSmart has over 23,000 full-time and 27,000 part-time employees. The company has 1278 stores. That's an average of 18 full-time employees" I believe this to be a tad-bit over generalized. From a consumer point-of-view I have never seen 18 employees in a PetSmart and one has to remember a lot of PetSmarts have a veterinarian on site/ possibly a vets assistant/ sales staff that is more knowledgeable that a Wal-mart pet section employee/etc etc.

I would only be concerned about PetSmarts competition if they decided to expand there Pet sections to include more services and offerings as PetSmart is doing. Right now, I don't see that happening as PetSmart still has a strong hold on the Pet market. However, On the flip side you are correct about the trading range/fundamentals, which it has been suck in for a while; I just don't think this is a great short sale candidate
    Jan 25, 2013. 11:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Turn FedEx Rent Checks Into 21 Years Of Durable Dividends That Pay 5.6% [View article]
    Nice article and I like the psychological approach you present to taking a look at this REIT form "does it make sense to be a Fedex landlord" can't complain about consistent performance.
    Jan 25, 2013. 10:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Where Do Shareholders Go From Here? [View article]
    Bret,

The good thing about negative sentiment is that it can only take it so far and eventually the bad news slowly gets priced in. I believe that Apple will trade sideways going into earnings and I think the $500 will be a good test for Apple. If we get a decent report with no major surprises and can hold 490idh-500 level this is a spot that I wouldn't mind speculating on. One also has to consider that Apple still has a couple of wild cards that could be employed. Apple could announce some type of mystery meeting or they could be a press leak about a new product or service, then there could be rumors and so on and so on. I understand that this may not happen soon, but when you get so low and beat up on; these rumors, mystery events, etc can help Apple jump off support like a springboard ( if it gets there). I could go on and on, but in opinion Apple is one of the few stocks where investors should think about capitalizing off negative sentiment.
    Jan 17, 2013. 09:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Finally Sold On Ford [View article]
    The cars that are being produced now last a lot longer and there is also strong demand for the Fusion and Focus which can still be bought for a decent value. Even though 45,000 may not seem reasonable there is still a strong pre-owned/used cars where consumers can expect to see higher trade in values then years ago.
    Jan 15, 2013. 03:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Getting Ready For Spring By Investing In CF Industries [View article]
    I could say why buy something that is up 27%? Im bullish on the fertilizer space in general. TNH, UAN and RNF have better dividends than CF, but with CF trading sideways I like this one as a catch-up play rather than buying the highs of RNF. I still like RNF and others, but would rather wait for a pullback.
    Jan 15, 2013. 02:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Getting Ready For Spring By Investing In CF Industries [View article]
    World population growth is an macro factor to consider when investing in this sector. Long term the outlook is strong for CF
    Jan 15, 2013. 01:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment