John R. Conway

View John R. Conway's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Facebook: Don't Be Greedy [View article]
    I thought Facebook's mission was to connect people and make us more connected?? I wouldn't doubt if in the future Facebook put restrictions on accounts for reasons that "they" deem appropriate
    Jun 1 11:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook: Don't Be Greedy [View article]
    Marcap,

Yes I would agree the advertising revenues that have been projected tend to be overly bullish and possibly do not take into account slow economic conditions. Marketing is something that can always be cut (as GM demonstrated) but then can be turned back on.
    Jun 1 10:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Deep In The Money Calls To Consider: BofA, Microsoft [View article]
    they are now out of the money so they will expire worthless. They are only excersied if they are in the money
    May 29 12:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Deep In The Money Calls To Consider: BofA, Microsoft [View article]
    since you are in the money you would be buying 100 shares per options contract, unless you closed out the contract before expiration date. This would be known as an excercise or excerciseing your contracts, but this is only done if you plan on purchasing the shares
    May 28 11:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Defending Zynga [View article]
    Tell that to Warren Buffet. The average cost down method is not a bad method if employed correctly. If an investor has a 5 year time horizon (for example) there will be plenty of times to buy more on pullbacks and I would expect that with a longer term time horizon, decent dividend yield and a solid sector one wants to be in; averaging cost down can work. However, if one has a short term time horizon and is a trader and not an investor then averaging cost down can be like catching a falling knife. Right now anybody trying to catch Zynga could be in a world of hurt. I would rather wait until some of the negative sentiment towards social media stocks fades away before jumping into Zynga, facebook or others. Averaging cost down does work, but not for every stock
    May 27 11:16 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook Looks To Be A Great Candidate For Options Trading, Not As An Investment [View article]
    Kevin,

I agree I think despite the down markets Apple is still the best play in tech and the consumer. Too much attention was put on Facebook and that set up a great buying opportunity for Apple. When Facebook starts trading options are you considering directional, non-directional strategies or both?
    May 23 02:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Review Of Trading Diary Reveals Mistakes And Victories [View article]
    You can turn almost anything related to investing into a gamble if you want. If you think options investing is a gamble, you don't understand options.
    May 22 09:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Trading Lowe's Upcoming Earnings Using Options [View article]
    Trade Update:

I bought in at 1.70 on Wed and this strangle got to a low of 1.60, but I was comfortable with the risk reward basis of this trade. Lowe's down almost 10% on earnings and this trade can now be sold at 2.44. or around $74 before commissions. I closed out the puts and decided to keep the calls since they are almost worthless. There is still some decent amount of time left in June and if Lowe's has a move upward the calls have a chance of gaining some of their value back (thus adding more profit).
    May 21 11:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Trading Lowe's Upcoming Earnings Using Options [View article]
    Patrick,

Thanks for your comments and I am glad I have been able to contribute to your investments. This is exactly what I aim for; consistant results where individuals can pay for their vacation, next tank of gas or some fine dining all for free; risking less to make more
    May 21 11:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Review Of Trading Diary Reveals Mistakes And Victories [View article]
    Brain,

Smith & Wesson with their recent pullback is still a great stock and demand for guns is exploding. With the recent backorders Smith & Wesson can thrive in a down market In a lot of your trades you are only holding on for less than 2-3 weeks; why not use deep in the money calls ( on stocks that trade options) compared to outright buying shares??
    May 20 12:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Trading Home Depot's Upcoming Earnings Using Options [View article]
    Did you get your order filled? the trade has produced over 100% profit from the time I recommended it
    May 17 02:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Penn National Gaming: Recent Acquisition Looks Promising [View article]
    Yea I was a little confused on you PENN and BOYD sentence in your first response. Note PENN is just buying one of Caesars properties. I do like the bigger guys MGM, WYNN and LVS but with global economic concerns these stocks are going to get wacked a lot more than regional casinos. Also, one has to account for tourism since the WYNN, LVS and MGM need tourism a lot more than regional casinos.
    May 17 12:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Penn National Gaming: Recent Acquisition Looks Promising [View article]
    CP757

I understand your concerns on the "good vs. bad argument" but with this article I wanted to bring some insight into the St. Louis casino gaming market and not focus on every property that PENN has. With casinos there will always be a good vs. bad argument, but like any stock its about the future. The future for PENN in the St. Louis gaming market looks promising since they will be going from last to second in market share. I admit going from last to second is easy since all one has to do is buy a casino, but in St. Louis the Harrha's property is not junk by any means and across many states there are limits on how many casinos can be built. In the short term the company is going to spending a lot of money, but lets take a look back in 6 months and see if the re-branding and possible leader in St. Louis casino market share pays off
    May 17 12:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Trading Options On Bank Of America's Negative Sentiment [View article]
    Trade Update:

This trade was recommended and put on when BAC was around 7.80 and the stock briefly dipped below 7 and at the moment is barely above 7. I recommended the trade with a contract price of 1.40 and now these puts can be closed out for 2.10 or a $70 gain per contract. Remember this is a trade and not an investment. Thanks for all the comments
    May 17 10:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Trading Options On Bank Of America's Negative Sentiment [View article]
    bigTTT

Your comment is not making any sense. Please describe how I am swimming with sharks and today the markets move too fast??? Remember this is a trade and not an investment and I think often at times people tend to get this confused.
    May 14 12:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment