View as an RSS Feed
Be Imperfect When You Pick Stocks
- Many investors think that great stock-pickers are right far more often than they are wrong.
- The truth is that making money on a little over half your picks usually leads to very strong returns.
- By accepting that you'll be wrong on a good amount of your picks, you don't panic when some picks miss the mark, letting you stick to a long-term plan.
The Truth Behind Stock Prices
- On a day-to-day basis, a myriad of factors drive stock returns.
- Over the long term, a couple factors stand out in terms of stock return drivers, however: dividends and inflation.
- Here are five picks that have solid dividends and the pricing power to keep up with inflation.
Greenblatt's Magic Formula: Quite Simple, But Far From Easy
- Joel Greenblatt's "Magic Formula" is one of the most elegant, simple investing approaches you'll find, using just two variables.
- But the trick with the Greenblatt approach is staying disciplined when the strategy underperforms -- that's the hard part.
- If you stick with it, the results show you can net some big gains.
Buy What You Know - But Do Your Homework, Too
- Mutual fund legend Peter Lynch said individual investors can "buy what they know" to get a leg up on professional investors.
- But Lynch also warned that you shouldn't buy stock in a firm just because you like its products; you also have to do thorough fundamental and financial analysis.
- Here are five stocks with popular products or services you probably know, and which also have strong fundamentals.
Buffett, Piotroski, And An Inflation-Beating Approach
- While inflation hasn't kicked in since the Federal Reserve started quantitative easing, some signs are that it's finally picking up.
- Warren Buffett years ago laid out a recipe for how companies can beat inflation.
- Buffett's recipe was quite similar to my Joseph Piotroski-based model's criteria, so the model should be a good place to look for inflation-beating stocks.
Skies Look Friendly Once Again For (Some) Airline Stocks
- Since being deregulated in the late 1970s, a myriad of bankruptcies has made the airline industry a dangerous place for investors.
- Some airlines have fared quite well in recent years, thanks to innovative thinking.
- Many airlines are still loaded up with debt, so you need to be selective in picking airline stocks.
Have The Market Jitters? Try Some Earnings All-Stars
- A number of factors have investors feeling jittery about the economy and stock market.
- Given how bad investors tend to be at market timing, jumping in and out of the market is very risky.
- If your fears are getting the best of you, consider focusing on some "all-weather" stocks rather than bailing on the market.
Five Retailers That Are Alive And Kicking
- The Federal Reserve's loose money policies have enabled many weak firms to stay alive longer than they should have.
- Retailers have been one of the big beneficiaries.
- With QE winding down, it's time to be very discriminating when buying shares of retailers.
For FutureFuel, The Future Is Now
- Small growth stocks have gotten hit hard this year, but FutureFuel has bucked the trend.
- The firm has been growing earnings and revenues at a stellar clip.
- Its strong balance sheet also earns it high marks from several of my guru-inspired models.
5 Stocks - Including Apple - With Moats To Keep The Competitors Out
- Warren Buffett says good businesses have "economic moats" that give them a durable advantage over competitors.
- Moats can include strong brand recognition, size that enables economies of scale, and high switching costs.
- Here are five "moat" stocks that get approval from my Guru Strategies.
Amid Weak Expectations, AGCO Looks Like A Strong Buy
- My Guru Strategies are triggering a Trade Alert on AGCO shares.
- The stock has struggled amid falling food commodity prices.
- But its fundamentals are strong, and it has been diversifying into emerging areas.
- With expectations low, it's a good time to buy.
- WSFS Financial: A 'GARP' Financial Stock In The Peter Lynch Mold
- Finding Contrarian Plays In A Not-So-Cheap Market
- Why HCI Is Still A Buy After Last Year's Gains (And Last Week's Losses)
- The January Effect And Your Portfolio
- Forget Bubbles: Bargains Abound In This Overlooked Industry
- Why Coach Is Still A Nice Accessory For Your Portfolio
- The Time May Be Right For The Zweig Strategy
- Embrace The Headwinds For HollyFrontier
- 5 International Stocks Offering Big Value In Fearful Times
- Why Chevron Is A Buy
- Beware The Tale Of The Tapped-Out Consumer
- Why HCI Group Is A Good Bet To Weather Storms
- Why My Guru Strategies Think ZAGG Is A Big-Time Buy
- The Brady Bunch Market
- Got Growth? These 5 Stocks Do
- 5 Guru-Inspired Transportation Stocks
- 3 Buy-And-Hold Strategies That Beat The Market-Timers
- 5 Stocks For Jittery Investors
- Why Too Much Portfolio Watching Is Hazardous -- And Unnecessary
- 4 Guru-Inspired Picks That Are Putting Cash To Work
- Five Unloved Oil Plays For Contrarian-Minded Investors