John Spencer Morrison

View John Spencer Morrison's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • It's New! It's Nifty! It's The Dividend Growth 50! [View article]
    Thanks for the article. I am surprised, however, that Hormel (HRL) was not mentioned. If you go to Morningstar and check their growth under Key Ratios, they have performed much much better than NEE or PG (for example) over the last 10-5-3-1 years (http://bit.ly/1za3Uoy). SPAM may not be sexy, but IMO Hormel doesn't get enough love.
    Dec 21, 2014. 06:53 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Young And Restless: A Portfolio Not A Soap Opera [View article]
    Yes, I did read the article.

Just so we’re clear, here’s where we differ:

1) By promoting stocks like FB and NFLX you're essentially saying "go for it" and implying that in some cases it’s OK to invest in companies with P/Es in the triple digits

No matter how bright the future looks for a company, paying that much for a share of ownership seems excessive

2) "With a very long time horizon to work with, young investors can take many more risks when selecting stocks. If the portfolio does not work out in 2-5 years or so, there will be plenty of time to recover from losses incurred"

Implication: A 30-40 year investment horizon gives you time to take unnecessary risks and swing for the fences because you could get lucky and even if you fail you have time to make it up

I prefer to look at time through the lens of compounding returns and look forward to the effect consistent 6-12% returns will have on my portfolio 3-4 decades from now

That being said RS, I do respect you as an author and appreciate the time and effort you put into writing these pieces.

This article isn’t poorly written, it’s just perhaps better suited for a different readership.
    Nov 19, 2012. 04:11 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Young And Restless: A Portfolio Not A Soap Opera [View article]
    RS, I've read countless articles written by you but honestly I've gotta say I find this one to be a little off....

As a 26 year old investor, I'm thinking long term. It's much more prudent for younger investors to build solid investing habits early, first by selecting a group of core stocks that they're comfortable being 'owners' of for the next several decades (with monitoring of course) and then going from there.

To suggest to younger investors to invest in companies with P/Es as high as NFLX and AMZN is just asking for trouble.

But that's your suggestion and their choice.

Me, I'd rather put my money into companies that I feel confident will keep me company as I enter my golden years (and beyond).
    Nov 18, 2012. 04:33 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Power Of Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    bluesmoke,

Couldn't agree more. Patience is the companion of wisdom.
    Feb 1, 2013. 05:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Colgate-Palmolive Q4 Earnings Review [View article]
    Agreed. Have been a shareholder since 2011 but when 3-year average revenue growth fails to meet 5% even once over 5 years, I'm out. Situation reminds me a little of P&G, rich history but slow-growing future.
    Feb 25, 2015. 06:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Power Of Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Sunshine,

Glad to hear that you found it helpful.
    Feb 4, 2013. 02:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Power Of Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Rudester,

Thanks. I appreciate the compliment.
    Feb 4, 2013. 02:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Power Of Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Jay,

Thanks for stopping by. Availability of funds is often the tricky part.
    Feb 1, 2013. 05:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Power Of Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    sneaker,

Thanks for the kind words.
    Feb 1, 2013. 05:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Power Of Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Craig,

Thanks for providing those insights. While it's good to reference the past, I agree that looking to the future is key.
    Feb 1, 2013. 05:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Power Of Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Cooper,

Thanks for your comment.
    Feb 1, 2013. 05:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Power Of Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Bob,

Thanks for reading!
    Feb 1, 2013. 05:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is McDonald's Back On Track? [View article]
    I also live and work in China (past 3 years). From my point of view, there's plenty of room for organic growth through store expansion for both of them.

Case in point: I'm marrying my best friend in two weeks, who's from Tieling (a little known 'town' of 2 million) that's up in the north in Liaoning province.

In her town, which I went to for Chinese New Year's last year, they don't yet have a McDonald's, KFC or a Starbucks (in fact, her family has never even heard of Starbucks). And this is not the only one out there, there are still tons of these 'small towns' with a million+ inhabitants and growing per capita incomes.

In my opinion this paints a pretty bullish picture for all parties involved.

Long MCD
    Dec 16, 2012. 07:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Young And Restless: A Portfolio Not A Soap Opera [View article]
    Also, to clarify, when I say 'It's much more prudent for younger investors to build solid investing habits early' that means not aiming for "the possibility of creating enormous wealth."

What's wrong with looking for those one-to-two ft hurdles to step over... again, and again, and again? After all, it's not how money you make, it's how much you keep.

Sorry to say, but what you're advocating in this article seems like the setup to a good (but sad) bar story... the story I'd rather tell is to my grandson (one day) that goes along the lines of "your grandpa had the foresight to invest in companies that made toothbrushes, toilet paper and sugar water and that's why I'm able to travel to come see you every year."

That's just my take though. Could be wrong.
    Nov 19, 2012. 04:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 'Common Man' Portfolio: Keeping Things Simple [View article]
    Nice list Dave. A little surprised not to see HRL in there, but I suppose it may have something to do with the low yield.
    Sep 13, 2012. 09:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment