John W Babiak

View John W Babiak's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple Will Revolutionize TV And Here's How [View article]
    Actually, I think, as with the iPhone, the deals will be made with the carriers. (ie. the cable companies). They already have the rights to stream the content.
    Just as with At&T some lucky cable companies will come on board with Apple to offer this new type of television.
    Jan 14, 2013. 07:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Will Revolutionize TV And Here's How [View article]
    Great compliment. Thanks!
    Jan 13, 2013. 03:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Will Revolutionize TV And Here's How [View article]
    Exactly!
    Jan 13, 2013. 11:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Will Revolutionize TV And Here's How [View article]
    I am also a citizen-activist and share your concern about closed systems.

However, the Internet is the new wild, wild west and Apple's controlled ecosphere does offer a safe haven. Knowing that Apple scrutinizes every app that goes in the App Store protects users. Especially since devices like the iPhone and iPad are attracting a new group of users that have never touched a computer.

Besides, with its hundreds of thousands of 3rd party developers, I'm not sure if we should be calling iOS a closed system. Yes, we are limited to running apps on Apple devices the same way you can only run Blackberry apps on a Blackberry device. But I've never heard too many complaints about Blackberry being a closed system.
    Jan 13, 2013. 10:52 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Will Revolutionize TV And Here's How [View article]
    Not sure if Apple would be the first to do that.

Apple isn't know for being the first to offer new types of technology. But, they are often the first at doing it right and getting it out to the mass market.
    Jan 13, 2013. 10:26 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Maps-Gate Debacle: Is Apple Losing Its Edge? [View article]
    I agree that you wouldn't want Google to hijack the iOS platform.

However, when you look back to the Mac's dependence on Excel and Word, this was actually welcomed by Steve Jobs.

In his MacWorld Boston 1997 keynote after returning to Apple, Jobs announced the end of the war with Microsoft as well as a five-year deal to release Microsoft Office on the Mac.

I was in the audience when people started booing as Bill Gates appeared on the screen via video. That's when Steve Jobs said "We have to let go of this notion that for Apple to win, Microsoft has to lose."

Apple needed to have Office on the Mac. Even today, one of the first things that people considering switching to a Mac ask me is "Can I run my Office documents".

I think the bigger danger is for Google, or someone else, to come out with a "must-have" app that isn't available for iOS. That's exactly what was happening with Google's Map app.

But the new sheriff in town, Tim Cook, took care of that.
    Jan 8, 2013. 01:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Results Bode Well for Lithium Ion Battery Makers [View article]
    Whatever happened to China Digital Communication Group ?
    Dec 26, 2012. 10:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Generics Empire Of Watson Pharma Soon To Be Named Actavis [View article]
    You have to wonder if an acquisition of ths size can be easily managed by Watson.

Any thoughts on this?
    Dec 24, 2012. 05:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Windows 8 Made Me Sell Microsoft [View article]
    To me, productivity is more dependant on the applications I'm using and is not related to editing and managing files. For example, I have not been able to find a good web authoring app for the iPad. So, I need my laptop when I'm doing any web authoring.

Can you explain your comment about finding it difficult to edit and manage files on the iPad?

I have not come across any files that I have been unable to edit on the iPad. File management on the iPad is all within each app. When you open an app, you see all of your related files.
    Jul 25, 2012. 01:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Underestimating Apple: Analyst Consensus Plays Catch-Up [View article]
    Nice to see an AAPL article on Seeking Alpha that's dealing with facts.
    Apr 2, 2012. 09:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Make Apple Share The Cost Of Data? [View article]
    Re:"The premise (and title) of this article is silly and it is obviously designed as link bait. "

If that's how you feel, do as I do.
    Give the article the number of stars that you it deserves.

Everybody should do that on every article to improve Seeking Alpha and keep it relevant.
    Apr 2, 2012. 03:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Quantum Physics, Flash Crashes And Market Illusions [View article]
    The issue is that, without the circuit breakers that were put in place after the flash crash a while back, Apple stock could have melted down and taken the rest of the market with it.

Once automatic trading systems recognize a transaction at 9% below market all types of automatic sell orders could have been triggered.
    Mar 23, 2012. 07:17 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Quantum Physics, Flash Crashes And Market Illusions [View article]
    ," like what happened to Apple (AAPL) on Friday morning when liquidity dried up and the "price" was around $542."

Are you sure that liquidity dried up?

The way I understood it it was a faulty transaction posted by the BATS trading system caused by a glitch in their system.

Not exactly the same.
    Mar 23, 2012. 05:53 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Looking For A Good Entry Point? [View article]
    @meryle
    What iPad problems?

The fact that a computer running a faster graphics processor will be warmer than a computer running a slower graphics processor, is not a problem. It's normal.

CNBC: "Consumer Reports says that the new iPad runs 12 degrees hotter but it isn't a problem." They also said that their preliminary findings is that it's "the best tablet yet".
    Mar 22, 2012. 10:58 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Investors Becoming Too Emotional? [View article]
    Now, don't get emotional.
    Nobody said that Steve Jobs sucks.
    He was the driver of innovation and was a genius at doing that.
    But he was no operations genius.

The fact that Apple can manufacture products for far less than their competitors is because of their supply chain strategy. Tim Cook is largely responsible for that.

Only giving credit where credit is due.
    Now that Jobs is gone, I think that a lot of deserving people will have the opportunity to come out from backstage and share the spotlight.
    Mar 20, 2012. 03:43 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment