John W Babiak

View John W Babiak's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why Windows 8 Made Me Sell Microsoft [View article]
    To me, productivity is more dependant on the applications I'm using and is not related to editing and managing files. For example, I have not been able to find a good web authoring app for the iPad. So, I need my laptop when I'm doing any web authoring.

Can you explain your comment about finding it difficult to edit and manage files on the iPad?

I have not come across any files that I have been unable to edit on the iPad. File management on the iPad is all within each app. When you open an app, you see all of your related files.
    Jul 25, 2012. 01:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Underestimating Apple: Analyst Consensus Plays Catch-Up [View article]
    Nice to see an AAPL article on Seeking Alpha that's dealing with facts.
    Apr 2, 2012. 09:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Make Apple Share The Cost Of Data? [View article]
    Re:"The premise (and title) of this article is silly and it is obviously designed as link bait. "

If that's how you feel, do as I do.
    Give the article the number of stars that you it deserves.

Everybody should do that on every article to improve Seeking Alpha and keep it relevant.
    Apr 2, 2012. 03:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Quantum Physics, Flash Crashes And Market Illusions [View article]
    The issue is that, without the circuit breakers that were put in place after the flash crash a while back, Apple stock could have melted down and taken the rest of the market with it.

Once automatic trading systems recognize a transaction at 9% below market all types of automatic sell orders could have been triggered.
    Mar 23, 2012. 07:17 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Quantum Physics, Flash Crashes And Market Illusions [View article]
    ," like what happened to Apple (AAPL) on Friday morning when liquidity dried up and the "price" was around $542."

Are you sure that liquidity dried up?

The way I understood it it was a faulty transaction posted by the BATS trading system caused by a glitch in their system.

Not exactly the same.
    Mar 23, 2012. 05:53 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Looking For A Good Entry Point? [View article]
    @meryle
    What iPad problems?

The fact that a computer running a faster graphics processor will be warmer than a computer running a slower graphics processor, is not a problem. It's normal.

CNBC: "Consumer Reports says that the new iPad runs 12 degrees hotter but it isn't a problem." They also said that their preliminary findings is that it's "the best tablet yet".
    Mar 22, 2012. 10:58 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Investors Becoming Too Emotional? [View article]
    Now, don't get emotional.
    Nobody said that Steve Jobs sucks.
    He was the driver of innovation and was a genius at doing that.
    But he was no operations genius.

The fact that Apple can manufacture products for far less than their competitors is because of their supply chain strategy. Tim Cook is largely responsible for that.

Only giving credit where credit is due.
    Now that Jobs is gone, I think that a lot of deserving people will have the opportunity to come out from backstage and share the spotlight.
    Mar 20, 2012. 03:43 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Investors Becoming Too Emotional? [View article]
    Re: "There's no doubt that Tim Cook made an error..."

Maybe in the author's mind but I really don't see any facts behind that statement.

Re: "If we are to give Steve Jobs a lion's share, if not all, of the credit for what Apple has become..."

Apple's strengths lie in its innovation and operational efficiency.
    Steve Jobs was largely responsible for pushing innovation, but to think that he alone deserves the credit for the innovation is very unrealistic.

Ives was and continues to be genius behind design. Ron Johnson developed the Apple Store concept, not Steve Jobs.

And to think that Jobs, who worried more about the color of the machines building the Mac than the machines themselves, should take credit for Apple's operational excellence is nonsense.

Apple is the combined expertise of many great people.
    Steve Jobs is gone, but it appears that his reality distortion field continues to linger on.

I believe that it's the author of the article that is being too emotional.
    Mar 20, 2012. 02:38 PM | 14 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Forces Short Sellers To Think Twice [View article]
    "Tim Cook is undoubtedly a good manager, but he does not have the almost mystical appeal of Steve Jobs. Steve Jobs by his mere presence made people want to own Apple products."

I'm a big Steve Jobs fan but I never bought a single Apple product because of Steve Jobs. I, as well as millions who have never even seen a Steve Jobs keynote buy for the products themselves.

Tim Cook is a great manager who's responsible for Apple's supply chain success. And, after reading the Jobs biography I wonder if Cook wasn't the "adult" in the room all along.

"Tim Cook in his first introduction did serious damage to the above Jobs/Apple image."

No, Tim Cook's first introduction was the iPhone 4S, that despite the bad initial reviews, has sold more units than any previous iPhone.

" He introduced the iPad 3 as simply the "New iPad." It had no number."

Horrible mistake. I'm sticking to my MacBook Air 4, my iPod12 and my AppleTv4.

Nevertheless, good technical discussion on AAPL.
    Mar 19, 2012. 01:24 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's P/E Ratio As A Case For Undervaluation [View article]
    Great article!
    Mar 19, 2012. 10:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Set To Open Cash Coffers: Potential Options [View article]
    I believe the conference call is set for 9:00 am EST not 6:00 am EST.
    Mar 19, 2012. 06:05 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • An Apple Bubble Is Forming [View article]
    Re:"I often find the comments more valuable than the article."

That definitely applies to this article.

J
    Mar 18, 2012. 05:34 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Apple Bubble Is Forming [View article]
    Reading articles like this makes me lose confidence in articles on Seeking Alpha.

Having an expert on Gold & Precious Metals, consistently make bad calls on something which appears to completely out of his realm of expertise only eats into SA's credibility.

Time for Seeking Alpha to start exercising some control over what gets published on their site.
    Mar 18, 2012. 12:32 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • "One of my favorite generational shorts is Apple (AAPL)," said bond guru Jeff Gundlach last night at a CFA dinner, as reported by CNBC's Jane Wells. "The rainmaker is gone, and I don't see people lining up all night for iPad 482."  [View news story]
    Actually, the last time Jobs was not around was when he took his first sick leave.

According to the biography, he was quite upset when the stock price went up during that period.

Jobs was a great dreamer who was a major influence on the company. But he wasn't exactly the adult in the room that made the company what it is today.

I wouldn't underestimate Tim Cook and the rest of the team.
    Mar 9, 2012. 01:43 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment