Jon Heller, CFA

View Jon Heller, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • More 'Double Nets'- The Search For Deep Value [View article]
    Walter, in general I avoid such companies. May be legit, but several years ago I eliminated Chinese companies from my screens. Some look too good to be true.
    Aug 7, 2015. 08:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sorry Sardar, You Can't Have My Biglari Holdings Shares [View article]
    I agree with you regarding Gabelli...as for the others, can't see DFA or Vanguard tendering either--based on the way they run their funds, not sure about Janus
    Jun 13, 2015. 06:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sorry Sardar, You Can't Have My Biglari Holdings Shares [View article]
    Overall, I'd say that Biglari still has a fairly loyal following of "believers" that won't tender; then there are those of us who've held a stake for several years that have grown skeptical, but realize the intrinsic value of BH, and are not willing to go without a fight. But the big question is what will the institutions do? GAMCO, DFA, Vanguard, Janus and several others hold significant stakes. Stay tuned.
    Jun 13, 2015. 07:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • JG Boswell Gets A Haircut [View article]
    I've seen nothing concrete about a dividend cut, either..no letter, etc, but there have been some recent references made, including those above, and it would not be all that surprising. Next Ex-date should be in a couple of weeks. Another one of the issues in owning shares in such a company--communication.
    May 8, 2015. 06:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • JG Boswell Gets A Haircut [View article]
    I do maintain a spreadsheet of BWEL fundamental data--14 years at this point.
    May 8, 2015. 06:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Struggling Sears Hometown And Outlet Stores A Net/Net [View article]
    In theory, net/net may imply liquidation, but in practice (in my experience and approach anyway), its an approach designed to identify companies that may be incredibly mispriced, forgotten, shunned, etc. Some trade at a discount to NCAV for valid reasons and the fundamentals are meaningless (cash burn, low quality assets, etc). Some may be crappy businesses, but less crappy than the price indicates.
    Apr 21, 2015. 09:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Struggling Sears Hometown And Outlet Stores A Net/Net [View article]
    Correct, I do not capitalize operating leases in the net/net calculation (never have).

"Sometimes you will find companies that are on their last leg, in a "death-spiral" of sorts. But you will sometimes find small gems, whose death has been prematurely and incorrectly recognized by the markets. The trick to successful net/net investing is to know the difference, which is not easy."

"I also think the above quote demonstrates a critical (but common) misconception about net-nets. These situations are appealing when (1) the operating business is in fact dead and (2) management is willing to accept that fact and liquidate in a fairly speedy manner. More often than not, these companies continue to burn through cash and the costs associated with liquidation consume any value that remains. "

Not always true...most successful net/nets over past 15 years or so have not been due to liquidations.
    Apr 21, 2015. 08:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Struggling Sears Hometown And Outlet Stores A Net/Net [View article]
    1260 stores as of 1/15, 199 franchised, 900 owner operated under the "dealer" model. Name change might not be a bad idea...
    Apr 21, 2015. 12:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Biglari Holdings Proxy Battle Ends In A Whimper But It Won't Be The Last [View article]
    Bingo!
    Apr 10, 2015. 10:38 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hah! I should have thought about that first...
    Apr 10, 2015. 10:16 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I am hanging onto my position; I still believe he is a good capital allocator and extremely bright(overall--Maxim notwithstanding--hope he proves me wrong), but company will need more oversight/transparency, PR, and new directors. There may be more proxy fights on the way...
    Apr 10, 2015. 10:15 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Tootsie Roll's Mel Gordon Dies At 95: Don't Fall For The Acquisition Hype Just Yet [View article]
    Great story! Thanks for sharing. Jon
    Jan 26, 2015. 10:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Agreed! Thanks for your comments. Jon
    Jan 26, 2015. 10:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yes, it's been awhile! Still long BWEL....Have owned since 2003. Thanks for your comment.

Kind regards,

Jon
    Jan 26, 2015. 07:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Land Holdings Review 2008 (Part I) [View article]
    At the time, wanted to free up some cash for other ideas, plus the MLP story was not unfolding quickly
    Dec 27, 2008. 07:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment