Jonathan Liss

View SA Editor Jonathan Liss' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple Should Be Like Bloomberg [View article]
    Terrific piece Felix - thanks as always!
    Oct 30 04:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Apple Should Ignore Its Shareholders [View article]
    Well since I have no crystal ball, I let the fundamentals determine when I add to a position or lighten up.
    Feb 12 12:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Apple Should Ignore Its Shareholders [View article]
    Yep, brilliant analysis - not only for Apple product lovers but for investors. I believe Apple will continue to focus on making great products - if they do the stock price will eventually bounce back. That should be their focus as a company. Ironically by ignoring creating 'shareholder value', they actually are much more likely to increase it. This longer-term view is the reason I bought more shares of the QQQ for both myself and my kids (which is heavily weighted to Apple - we can't really buy individual stocks here at SA due to the obvious conflicts of interest that could create) when Apple fell below $500 - we don't need the money anytime soon. It's always better to buy low ;-)
    Feb 12 03:08 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will The Nasdaq-100 Water Down Its Apple Juice? [View article]
    I think the rebalance makes perfect sense. People wanting more Apple exposure should buy... AAPL. People buying an index usually want broad, diversified exposure. Having one stock equal 20% is the opposite of that.
    Apr 25 10:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is The Apple Bubble Popping? [View article]
    "Although I agree that Amazon's P/E ratio is a bit much and that the company is not undervalued, I do not think it is overvalued either."

AMZN's forward PE is 74, yet you feel it's not 'overvalued'.

Apple's forward PE is 10.95, yet you feel it's in a bubble.

The forward PE of the Nasdaq 100 is currently 12.2.

Please explain the discrepancy in your logic here?

FYI, I am neither long or short Apple so I have no skin in this game. I am just trying to understand such seemingly contradictory statements from the perspective of pure logic.
    Apr 24 03:16 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Tim Cook Should Announce A Massive AAPL Share Buyback Immediately [View article]
    Despite being 'taxable', I still think implementing a dividend has numerous 'advantages' over a buyback. It allows investors to earn 'current income' - something important for retirees and those that rely on regular income from their investments. Also, a buyback is a 'one-time' event whereas once implemented, a dividend would carry on indefinitely and could easily be increased if Apple continued accumulating cash.

Disclosure: Long Apple, via its 15% weighting in QQQ
    Oct 11 10:19 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Balancing Act: 3G iPhone vs. Jobs' Health - Barron's [View article]
    mrtaxx,

Rest assured no one at Seeking Alpha is short any of the companies we write about and if we were, we would fully and openly disclose such an important fact. We summarize Barron's stories not because we agree or disagree with them but because they move the market. So don't see this piece as agreeing with Barron's (or disagreeing with it) - that is not its purpose.

One (small) defense of the Jobs rumor mill (and your critique is certainly justified) - last time Steve was sick Apple waited until after the fact to inform investors of his condition. As such, there are those who feel it is too late to wait until Apple releases an official statement to sell their shares.

Here's wishing Mr. Jobs many years of good health.

Best,
    Jonathan Liss
    Jun 16 09:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Hubris: Will All The Hype Go According to Plan? [View article]
    Tommo, can you please disclose if you own Apple shares? You seem a little too defensive about the company to be an impartial bystander.

Right on Herb! I love apple too and am also writing this on a Core Duo iMac as we speak while listening to iTunes and charging my iPod. Still, while I wouldn't bet against Apple, if anything at all goes wrong, or iPhone margins begin to suffer, I think this stock will come down to earth before long (after probably hitting $125 first). The Motorola comment is right on. And as the stock climbs and the forward PE shoots towards 40 again, I wonder if most investors will recognize a great company that is no longer offering a discount at current prices.
    Jan 11 08:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment