Jonathan Verenger

View Jonathan Verenger's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Baidu Is Cheap But Faces Headwinds From Slowing Search Advertising Growth In China [View article]
    QIHU is not a new entrant. They have had a roughly 12% market share for several years; they were diverting that traffic to Google and Baidu until they launched their own search offering.
    Mar 19, 2013. 03:22 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Baidu Is A Buy, Dude [View article]
    The mobile business is still developing so I think it's hard to say with any conviction how it will pan out. But keep in mind that leading search brands inherently have huge moats because of the amount of searches people do on a daily basis, which increases the brand awareness. So as the brand becomes synonymous with search, people will use it on any type of device.
    Mar 14, 2013. 02:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Baidu Is A Buy, Dude [View article]
    What's wrong with that dude?
    Mar 14, 2013. 01:56 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Baidu Is A Buy, Dude [View article]
    "canceled based on feedback from Chinese residents saying the BIDU has done nothing to gain market share in the growing mobile industry"

huh?
    Mar 14, 2013. 01:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy YRC Worldwide Based On Improving Fundamentals [View article]
    Mack - Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. It's going to be a long road for them to get back to where they were but the current valuation at $50 to $60 million (or $130 million assuming fully diluted shares (again, they don't convert until $14 and $34) right now is basically pricing in bankruptcy.

By comparison it used to be a $3 to $4 billion market cap so quite a discrepancy. If they can return to net profits and continue increasing operational efficiencies, I see this returning to a $1 billion plus market cap over the next couple of years. First thing's first, though, let's see if they can generate positive net income by q2 or q3.
    Mar 12, 2013. 02:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Steer Clear Of Qihoo And Its Questionable Management [View article]
    Michael - I have zero interest in shorting QIHU. Instead, I'd rather go long BIDU. Pretty much every "new" search engine launch fizzles out after the initial pop. It makes for good articles and gives the media something to talk about but that's about it.

First mover advantage is huge in this space. I think people will look back on this period and kick themselves for not buying BIDU because they were worried about the threat from QIHU...or worried about mobile monetization. BIDU has a 70% share of a rapidly expanding market. That's a huge economic moat.

One day soon the stock will have a huge reversal and leave a lot of people lying in the dust.
    Mar 8, 2013. 11:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Steer Clear Of Qihoo And Its Questionable Management [View article]
    Hi Michael,

I'm very sorry about that. I actually linked the source to your page when I uploaded this article (or so I thought). I do see that the image is sourced from your screen shot (and the URL includes your name), but this isn't enough. I will make sure they edit this.

My apologies.

Jonathan
    Mar 8, 2013. 11:22 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Michael Kors Or Coach? [View article]
    I agree that something is amiss with COH. I wrote an article last week advising people to stay away from Coach for the time being.

Mar 8, 2013. 07:02 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Baidu: Another Day, Another Downgrade [View article]
    Wouldn't this be a reason to be long BIDU?
    Mar 1, 2013. 03:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Groupon Special: Buy A $6 Stock For $4.20 [View article]
    The question is: do I still need an accounting 101 class :)
    Feb 28, 2013. 12:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Groupon Special: Buy A $6 Stock For $4.20 [View article]
    It is included in Prepaid expenses and other current assets. I'd recommend reading through their 10k before throwing insults.

By the way, the stock was $4.20 this morning when this article was submitted. Hence the title.
    Feb 28, 2013. 11:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Boyd Gaming Looks Very Cheap [View article]
    Nice news out today that BYD is shedding a non-core asset. As they continue to do this the company could look a lot different than it currently does by this time next year.
    Feb 28, 2013. 09:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stay Away From Coach For Now [View article]
    Thanks for the link Momintn. I'm not really advocating KORS at this point. I just wonder if the market is pricing in something more sinister than most people see with COH...namely that its brand is losing its luster. I don't rule out the possibility of a near term rally since it is so beaten up but without evidence of a bounce back in SSS any bounce could and possibly should be viewed as an opportunity to go short.
    Feb 27, 2013. 02:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ignore The Noise, Buy These Beaten Down Stocks [View article]
    Sal - When I wrote my article on why Sony should be bought hand over fist, the USD/JPY was around 88. The long term trend has turned for the Yen and I believe it could retrace up to 50% of the move down over the past 40 years. If that happens think of the implications for any company exporting out of Japan. I would ignore the day to day movements as there is more going on than binary relationships.
    Feb 26, 2013. 06:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stay Away From Coach For Now [View article]
    i agree that on paper COH looks cheap but it could be a value trap here. I would keep an eye on same store sales to see if there is some stabilization there.
    Feb 26, 2013. 06:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment