Jonathan Verenger

View Jonathan Verenger's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Jiayuan.com: Compelling Long-Term Dividend Growth Stock [View article]
    Thanks ayosd. I apologize but I've had a lot of personal/business things going on that kept me tied up. Best of luck to you.
    Oct 17, 2013. 11:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jiayuan.com: Strong Balance Sheet But Needing To Reduce User Churn [View article]
    Longer term trends are impressive though. Six-fold increase in sales and corresponding increase in income in just the past few years. The past year has seen stalling EPS growth as they have spent a lot on investing in mobile growth and improving their site. This should pay off well in the future. If you consider a 3 fold increase in top and bottom line over the next 5 years (24% annual growth) then this is trading at 5X EPS. If this happens, I suspect the market would trade it at at least 20X. Could be a nice longer term investment.
    Oct 4, 2013. 12:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Qihoo 360 - Too Expensive And Too Many Risks [View article]
    Wow what a stock. I would still recommend steering clear of shorting QIHU. BIDU is a sleepier stock but one that in my opinion you can sleep soundly with.
    Jul 26, 2013. 01:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • First Marblehead: A Play On Improving Student Loan Market [View article]
    I keep reading about this bubble in all of the news outlets. I even heard its going to be a bigger problem than the mortgage bubble. Apparently it's the next big shoe to drop.
    Jul 15, 2013. 01:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • First Marblehead: A Play On Improving Student Loan Market [View article]
    Thank you bernie. I know a lot of people are down and out on this company and the PSL market. Hasn't been the first time I've seen sentiment like this.
    Jul 9, 2013. 12:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • First Marblehead: A Play On Improving Student Loan Market [View article]
    Thank you DKay.
    Jul 9, 2013. 12:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • First Marblehead: A Play On Improving Student Loan Market [View article]
    june - see my comments below in response to Henry Lee
    Jul 9, 2013. 12:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • First Marblehead: A Play On Improving Student Loan Market [View article]
    I'd recommend looking at the default rates of public vs private debt. The problem that has arisen from the Govt backstopping the student loan market to the extent that they have is that loans were extended to far too many people. There is nothing wrong with educating people, but that comes with a cost and those with lower prospects of gaining employment, with poor credit history, or with no co-signors should have more expensive debt than others.

One other thing, I'd recommend looking at the employment rates for graduates with 4 year degrees vs 2 year degrees. It is drastically different. Most writers in the media have quotas on the number of articles they need to pump out so the vast majority of the articles that you read are just regurgitated and have little research backing them.
    Jul 9, 2013. 12:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • YRC Worldwide Has Gotten Ahead Of Itself [View article]
    that may all be true but the company was a great investment at $6.
    Jul 6, 2013. 05:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • YRC Worldwide Has Gotten Ahead Of Itself [View article]
    One hope they might have is some type of pension reform which I think will come in 2014. It's speculation on my part but that could be a benefit to them. The bigger issue is not being able to grow the top line meaningfully and what the union will push for when the contract negotiations come up in 2015.

Right now the stock has a fully diluted valuation of about $630 million. That makes the price to sales around 0.13. The standard valuation of the lower quality truckers is around 0.30 with ABFS being the lowest aside from YRCW. Given the above issues I think it is warranted that it trades at a discount to the others. My above assumptions in my article take into account almost 6% top line growth which seems dubious that this point. That's why I think it may have gotten ahead of itself. Will be fun to watch though. I'm always going to be partial to this one. The turnaround in my opinion was pretty obvious.
    Jun 28, 2013. 12:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • YRC Worldwide Has Gotten Ahead Of Itself [View article]
    Xtray - Thanks for the compliment. I'm still working on FMD but it looks like one of the best opportunities I have seen in a while. Good luck to you.
    Jun 26, 2013. 03:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • YRC Worldwide Has Gotten Ahead Of Itself [View article]
    Anytime. This has been one helluva ride for the stock. A solid turnaround coupled with a bull market turned this into a great return.
    Jun 26, 2013. 02:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • YRC Worldwide Has Gotten Ahead Of Itself [View article]
    They will be able to restructure their debt and push the repayment deadlines further out. The biggest concerns in my opinion are:
    (1) lack of top line growth
    (2) risk of giving back concessions to the union

At $6 this risk was far less. At $28 it's a different story.
    Jun 26, 2013. 01:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • YRC Worldwide Has Gotten Ahead Of Itself [View article]
    Trolling for page views on old articles?
    Jun 26, 2013. 12:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • An Update On Rediff.com [View article]
    Clearly REDF hasn't panned out. I mentioned in an earlier post that you must honor mental stops. If something falls beyond your pain threshold then you need to abandon it regardless of your opinion of the stock. I firmly believe that. My pain threshold is typically 15% on smaller stocks so in this case I took the hit and have moved on. I'm sorry about the poor call on this one but for the time being I think it makes sense to stand on the sidelines.
    Jun 24, 2013. 03:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment