Jonathan Wolfe

View Jonathan Wolfe's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Stop Neglecting Oil Stocks [View article]
    Mag - I could see COP heading up towards $65 short term, where I think there might be a stall point. At $65 a share and around $6.20 EPS projected, that would give it a PE of just over 10, which seems to be a point many of these stocks flatten out or start to decrease in price.

However with a hot summer and more oil imports to countries like Japan, China, India and others, recent increases in crude prices, EPS could go up, and we could adjust that number up a little more.
    Jul 4, 2012. 02:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Stop Neglecting Oil Stocks [View article]
    Thanks Tomlos - the biggest thing that surprised me about these stocks was the continuing increase of the book value of these companies. This tells me they are going to continue to be solid and growing for many years to come.
    Jul 4, 2012. 11:23 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Brokerage Upgrade And Drought Predictions Boost Fertilizer Stocks [View article]
    How is Walgreens relevant to this article?!? PM Chris if you want an answer or find an article about retail/healthcare.
    Jul 3, 2012. 11:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    It would be difficult to get well educated writers if you were prohibited from writing about stocks that you own, or have interest in.

Here on SA, you don't make enough money on the articles to really make it worth it to research and write about a sector that you can't invest in. I work in the utilities sector, plus I own a bunch of utility stocks. I trade in and out of some of them, and I publish my true thoughts on certain companies. If you read my articles, my track record hasn't been the greatest so far this year, but there is lots of time to go. I've wrote very positive articles about Exelon, only to see their stock slip more and more, mostly based on continued low natural gas prices, which has kept generation costs (and profits) down. I avoid writing for the utility I work for, more than just a passing mention of some facts/figures about them.

I also enjoy the research, writing and investment in fertilizer stocks. I hold a very bullish opinion on them. I know you have read the articles I have published about them, and I have continued to hold and add to my portfolio more RNF and UAN when it was down right above 20.

After DH downgraded the fertilizer stocks in early May, I wrote this article http://seekingalpha.co... based on real data and my true thoughts. I believe I was correct, and I know where DH was coming from, but I still believe they were manipulating the numbers in their articles. But even after I published the article and got nearly 10,000 views, the stock price kept dropping. So much for an SA writer being able to boost a stock back up. Sorry for my long drawn out comment here.
    Jun 29, 2012. 03:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The difference in my opinion is the credibility level of a firm compared to an individual writer. Though I believe some of the writers on here are more credible, but the general public goes into a frenzy on a downgrade from a firm, and those items make MSNBC, etc etc. On SA, people write in both directions, maybe based on true beliefs, or maybe to try to drive the stock in their direction. I just don't believe SA writers have the same effect.
    Jun 29, 2012. 05:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I truly believe Dahlman Rose did this to drive prices down so they could purchase shares. I was trying to find some data on stocks they have purchased recently, but I can't find any information.
    Jun 25, 2012. 08:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Drooping Crops Drive Corn And Fertilizer Stock Prices Higher [View article]
    The bears came out when projected record yields pushed future prices down, more poor weather = less production and higher prices for the products, which in turn leads to farmers willing to plant more corn in 2013 due to the higher prices, then more fertilizer application then.
    Jun 19, 2012. 03:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell The Top 'Dogs' And Increase Your Dividend Payouts [View article]
    Thanks Global - the example I gave was simplified so to speak, and did not include commissions or taxes. However if this was an IRA account, we wouldn't have to worry about the taxes, at least right now.
    Jun 17, 2012. 12:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell The Top 'Dogs' And Increase Your Dividend Payouts [View article]
    Bitterroot - I think it also depends on if you are in it for growth + dividends, and if you think that EXC will grow more than T. I personally believe utilities will outgrow telecom coming up, but many others feel the opposite.

The big winner here might be BP. I guess we can all review the article in a year and see how it goes. Thanks for the comment!
    Jun 16, 2012. 01:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell The Top 'Dogs' And Increase Your Dividend Payouts [View article]
    I agree you are still getting your 5.9% yield on your investment dollar. What I'm trying to state is this: Say you bought 100 shares of T at $30 a share in January, $3,000 investment, $176 in dividend income yearly. Sell T today for $35.70, take your $3,570 and buy 95 shares of EXC, which will pay you $199.50 in yearly dividend income.

I used to be a diehard long VZ guy, but they just never did anything for me. Thank you both for your comments.
    Jun 15, 2012. 09:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell The Top 'Dogs' And Increase Your Dividend Payouts [View article]
    I was going to include CAT in this article, but I couldn't sell it with the theme I was using. I'm working on something that will include CAT and TEX, as I think they are going to show strong returns here in the next year.
    Jun 15, 2012. 07:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vector Group: A 12%-15% Return Every Year [View article]
    I'm looking forward to even more shares next quarter since I have added to my position. Let the party continue!
    Jun 1, 2012. 08:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Vector Group: A 12%-15% Return Every Year [View article]
    Well what time is it at the party? There is still more than enough time to make it worth your while to go.
    Jun 1, 2012. 03:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Kraft Foods - A Forgotten Dog Of The Dow [View article]
    Well you can always buy Hunts Ketchup, which is a ConAgra product!
    May 27, 2012. 09:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kraft Foods - A Forgotten Dog Of The Dow [View article]
    Even many of the generic foods are made by the big companies, and usually made with some cheaper inputs. I worked at ConAgra foods as an intern many years back and they made generic products such as spaghetti o's and raviolis for Wal-Mart, Kroger, etc. I assume this is the same for many of these other companies. They are making money no matter what.
    May 27, 2012. 08:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment