Joseph Allen

View Joseph Allen's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Pain Therapeutics: Very Substantial Risk-Adjusted Upside Vs. Downside [View article]
    Clearly a lot of people follow this very closely, and they should also be taking into account QRxPharma, an Australian company that could end up a significant player with a dual opioid and their own abuse deterrent technology.
    Dec 7 08:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Interesting company. Have you looked at QRxPharma (QRXPY or ASE:QRX)? Similar situation vis-a-vis FDA, but several overseas deals signed, including Teva this morning.
    Nov 27 07:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Reverse Mergers: There's Always A Catch When It Looks Too Good, Right? Right. [View article]
    Like I said, I had no intention of making a fundamental statement about VPCO. The subject was reverse mergers. I'm not even a smoker. I believe there are good companies in the pinks, btw, but that was not what I was writing about in that article.
    Nov 26 09:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    My comment about VPCO was not intended to be fundamental -- it was an observation about how the reverse merger had worked. But I must say your comment recalls to mind people tsk-tsking about Amazon when it first appeared. I had a friend, John Westergaard, who has since died, who said Amazon would NEVER make money and counseled people to go short. Thank goodness I did not follow his advice! It's hard for me personally to think of e-cigs as anything but adult hula-hoops, but in fact, people are still using hula hoops, which were declared a fad in 1958, 5 years before JFK was assassinated. Hmmmm. I believe it also took 15 years for bar codes to catch on . . . .
    Nov 26 04:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Index Roulette Vs. Individual Stock Potential [View article]
    Depends on what you're looking for. Most blue-chips pay a dividend that is less than 2% in my estimation. And they don't appreciate strongly. Well, Apple has appreciated well, but it is new to the Dow anyway.
    Nov 26 09:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Index Roulette Vs. Individual Stock Potential [View article]
    From one Joseph to another, then: thanks. Check out my November 8 article too if you like undervalued companies. Happy Thanksgiving!
    Nov 26 06:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for your comment. Yes, all 3 of the examples are non-tobacco electronic cigarettes. I have no idea whether the companies are viable. What I said, if you re-read the article is that VPCO looked relatively successful as a reverse merger, and that it is trading well. I chose e-cigarettes simply because it is a new sector and there were several reverse mergers of comparable companies.
    Nov 25 07:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Undervalued Stocks Like Four-Leaf Clovers? Where Can An Investor Look These Days? [View article]
    They seem to prefer stock dividends to cash dividends. That's a bit old-fashioned, but would be effective at capital appreciation if they had better trading patterns. Unfortunately at present their daily volume would make it difficult to turn those stock dividends into cash. But in some situations a stock dividend is a way of paying something to the shareholders AND increasing the float so that trading can grow. SNFCA has a relatively small float, with total issued & outstanding common A shares at about 10 million, and all the C shares added together only come to about another 1 million (untradeable). So stock dividends may help eventually. Also, although I am not an accountant or a tax expert, I think it's possible that stock dividends don't get taxed until you sell the stock. That is NOT advice, and you'd need to check that with someone who knows for sure.
    Nov 21 11:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Not really up to speed on the ETF market. I wish I were, but it is something I have yet to feel competent about. Aggregating companies does smooth out the curve, but it also can eliminate any advantage you might have from good research, or at least from my ignorant position, it seems that way to me. I am the sort of person who might put a bet on a corner at roulette, but never on red or black.
    Nov 10 07:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi, thanks for your note. SNFCA is not a good trader for sure, but it appears to be a solid company. Bit of a gamble to see if others discover it, but there's no reason for it to flop that I can see. If you like small stocks that trade well, look at AXPW, interesting batteries.
    Nov 10 08:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Anthony Argyropoulos Looks At The Future Of Marine Shipping And Offshore Drilling Industries [View article]
    LNG shipping is a great niche, and not nearly as much competition as other shipping segments. I met Harry Vafias a few years back, and I believe him to be smart, energetic and a strong CEO, also well connected with other shipping families,, which doesn't hurt. With all the new LNG ports being authorized, that segment has to have a good future.
    Aug 10 08:05 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Sue,
    Thanks for the note. Anthony and I have been friends for years, and I have always thought his insight into the shipping -- and now offshore drilling -- industries is the clearest and most dependable in the business. Joe
    Aug 9 08:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • An Interview With Elemer Piros: A Strong Year For Biotechs, Looking From The Halfway Point [View article]
    Mr Jutte,
    Thanks for your note on uniQure. I normally do not follow semi-public companies, but I must say uniQure has an interesting spot in the interview with Dr Piros, and I am fascinated. It could figure in a blog article if I knew more, so please feel free to send information. You can contact me at joe@allencaron.com. Best, J
    Jun 27 08:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mary Lisanti: Continued Corporate Earnings Growth In 2013 (When The Federal Government Resolves The Budget) [View article]
    Thanks, Mr Hutter, for your comment. I realize that TRI is your company, so you would put a lot of emphasis on your own chart. I believe there are others with different outlooks, although arbitrating between crystal balls seems to me unproductive. This interview is with a fund manager who has been showing good results for decades, and my intent was to fairly present her thoughts.
    Jan 3 03:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment