Joseph Delaney

View Joseph Delaney's Comments BY TICKER:
  • AMD Is Set To Plummet [View article]
    im sorry, but any article titled "[Stock XYZ] is Set to Plummet" in which the author discloses he has no position and no PLANS to initiate a position arent worth reading, just my .02
    Jan 19 02:31 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nvidia hit by Morgan Stanley downgrade [View news story]
    I am a fan of both AMD and Nvidia and believe each of them has different stories to tell from an investor's perspective. Check out my recent article on NVDA, there really is quite a bit of potential in the tablet market with the release of it's new flagship tablet, which was available for pre-order and now begins sales today.
    Nov 19 01:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla: When The Concept Becomes Mainstream [View article]
    @solucky - yes, true, but Elon Musk also personally guaranteed Tesla's battery AND depreciation against his personal fortune, and the Model S compares against the Beamer in every category, as if it were another gas powered car

@miro, idk how much of an impact that news will have on the actual market, considering that news may not have gotten out into the public domain, i think the drop is because of a return to rational investing, the earnings cc was a wake up call, tesla is growing, and disruptive, but 170 a share simply isn't justified for the next 3-5 years, ill be buying more as a long term investor, but not until it settles below a benjamin, which i forsee happening
    Nov 18 02:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla: When The Concept Becomes Mainstream [View article]
    To quote another person on a different consumer article

"Let's steal Chevy Volt Technology however let's make it less impressive and less visually appealing and charge more money."
    ~ BMW
    You can't really tell me that you're comparing the Model S to this thing? What the Model S shows off is Tesla's clear advantage in technology. Until Tesla comes out with new lower cost different market segment cars. The only thing worth comparing the Model S to is a BMW 5-Series or a Benz of the same caliber.
    However, as for your comments regarding the nature of the company's stock movements and the next decade, I think we can agree on that.
    Cheers
    Nov 18 07:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Long-Range BEVs Are An Economic, Energy And Emissions Abomination [View article]
    You point out some interesting facts, yes, but I think your whole premise is off. I look at that graph with the E350 (Idk if it's this or your follow up article), and I see it and the other graphs in one of two ways.

1. Wow. Didn't realize how wasteful the Tesla Model S is compared to conventional gasoline vehicles. The entire environmental aspect of the Tesla sales strategy is a complete wash. If this is the case, at the price it's at now, if this information ever gets out in the public doman we should all be short TSLA tomorrow.

However, I don't take that approach. I think it's a more ignorant approach than had one never realized it in the first place. I take this approach. Looking at your graphs, on this and your other relevant article, especially the one with the Mercedes, I simply think its fraudulent to, one, use a Nissan Versa, the cheapest car in the entire country, for a baseline conventional vehicle. The ASP of a new car is around ~30K, what does this mean? It means that people aren't buying Versas, not the average consumer of a CV in any case. Two, it is even more of a blatant misrepresentation to then compare that Versa to the Model S. I look at what Tesla is doing, they are offering electric vehicles that are not only competitive to eco-friendly tree huggers, but more importantly they are beating the schnoz off of conventional luxury cars the Benzs, Beamers etc. Musk has repeatedly made claim that the way to get into the electric car market is at a luxury, high price high margin point, because they have to make enough money in the initial phases as a company to pay off debt and establish their infastructure. Tesla will be coming out with a ~30K competitor to the 3-Series in the next decade, and with the ASP of a new car at around that level, if it performs in comparison at all similarly to the 5-Series and Model S, then you can bet that Tesla will become a mainstream, high selling, high volume company. You are comparing Apples to Oranges. Now, if you look at the aforementioned graphs this way, you see, wow, Tesla offered the exact same experience if not better than the Mercedes for 30% less of an impact on the environment. It's not beating the Versa, but what does the Versa offer you in comparison to the Model S? The same can be said for the Leaf and other competitors. Who does the Leaf appeal to? I would never spend as much as it costs for a Leaf to get what a Leaf offers. Ever. However, the Model S is a different story. And perhaps the worst travesty of all is that none of these models take into account the potential for use phase costs, as opposed to current use phase costs. I predict that in the next 100 years, we will likely be on the French model, where a large majority of our electricity comes from Nuclear facilities, it is just a matter of having an educated public and proper facilities, fail safes, not building in a horrible earthquake/tsunami zone, etc. That being said, EV use phase costs will only continue to decrease.

In any case, your article is an interesting one. I appreciate your attempt at taking an alternative view, playing devil's advocate, and trying to dispel myths among an ignorant wall street. Wall street really does behave no different than a crowd of sheep when it comes to market psychology and crowd behavior. For this, I applaud you. However, to compare Apples to Oranges is a completely different thing. I have had hundreds of comments on my articles knocking me for being a college student, with no real industry experience, however I have been trained extensively in my program to dissect empirical research methods. People should be applauding Tesla for what it's accomplished within it's segment. If Nissan or Chevy had anywhere near the tech of Tesla, they would do it to, because there's a big market in the luxury field. But they don't have it, and they can't offer that performance. As Tesla recoups initial costs and continues to broaden its lineup, only then can you compare a Tesla model, and certainly the Model S, to an average conventional vehicle. Even then, use an average vehicle, not the single least expensive vehicle in the country, appealing to a minority of the populace as evidenced by sales and ASP of new cars.

Cheers
    Nov 18 06:58 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nvidia Tegra Tablet: Big Potential Catalyst For An Already Ripening Fruit [View article]
    Yeah, I mean if it had 1080P then there would simply be no reason to buy the Nexus over this whatsoever, but as an owner of the first gen 720P Nexus 7, I can attest that 720P with all of the aforementioned differentiators is well worth it. Obviously, each is entitled to their opinion.
    Nov 17 09:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • NVIDIA's CEO Discusses F3Q 2014 Results - Earnings Call Transcript [View article]
    I love NVDA but I have one gripe. Please don't compare US hockey viewership of the Stanley cup to worldwide viewership of the LoL WORLD championship. Come on. There are 33M households in Canada and ~30M watch the Stanley cup. LoL IS a professional sport in South Korea. He doesn't bother to give you these details when he compares apple's to oranges claiming PC gaming as a sport is a large source of growth. I'm a gamer, I love NVDA. I also love hockey and I'm a realist. I'm being finicky but it's my .02
    Nov 16 01:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Slowly Rotting: Rosy Financials Mask Competitive Disadvantage And Souring Future [View article]
    like the one immediately below
    Nov 11 03:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Nov 11 03:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    sir, i can count the personal attacks and wise cracks i have made on one hand, however as for every other personal attack on ME on this one article, you would need an army of hands
    Nov 11 03:21 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Yes, and for the 95% of us who are neither too old to learn how to use a laptop nor too young to do basic algebra, we will continue to use our technically superior nexuses, great comment genius
    Nov 9 12:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    No gekko, not quite the case. Simply a condescending response for one of the MANY equally condescending comments
    Nov 2 04:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    apple tv is great, as are the ipod touch and router however they contribute very minimally to EPS
    Nov 1 05:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    and if you think your 4s (4c doesn't exist, previous iteration was dubbed "s" just fyi) holds its value, it definitely does, but no better than any other phone (and a word of advice i wouldn't use gazelle, they take advantage of you)

for the future, I would go with ebay you can get higher prices, but for a snapshot you can see the going rate for used iphones 4s's on amazon (i use amazon for used phones) is ~$300

the going rate for the s3 is also ~$300
    Nov 1 05:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    to answer your question, i am looking at unsubsidized price, because whether you are on contract (and "discounted") or unsubsidized you will end up paying the same price over the life of the phone (i am not pulling this out of my ass it's actually pretty conclusive) so yes the iPhone isn't necessarily more expensive on contract, but the data i used was for the retail unsubsidized price
    Nov 1 05:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment