Joseph Harry

View Joseph Harry's Comments BY TICKER:
ABT, ARTNA, BP, CLCT, CSCO, CSX, DIS, DLB, DPS, EMN, F, GE, GIS, GLD, GLW, GM, GOOG, GRMN, IBM, KO, MCD, MET, MO, MSFT, NMRX, NOK, PG, SLW, T, TSLA, V, VZ, WAG, WMT, WU, XRX
  • Union Pacific: A Quick Observation On The Energy Related Sell-Off [View article]
    Thanks for reading Swaps.... I pulled the trigger yesterday and bought a small batch at $112.66 and plan to chase it down as it dips. I plan to be in this name for the long term.
    Mar 26, 2015. 05:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I think the strike will negatively effect intermodal during the first quarter. Weak numbers next quarter because of this event could be a nice buying opportunity imo
    Mar 24, 2015. 04:00 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fake News You Can Use: Buy Monsanto, The 21st Century's Greatest Agriculture Company [View article]
    Thanks for the interesting article Matthew.
    Mar 12, 2015. 12:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Stock Picker Establishing An ETF Portfolio: My Plans For A Roth IRA [View article]
    Thanks for the compliments, Vince, I'm glad you got something out of it.
    Feb 13, 2015. 03:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Six,

I've been a proud owner of both WFC and KO for a few years now, so it appears we agree that those are some good choices!

JH
    Feb 13, 2015. 12:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for reading and the kind words surfcove.
    Feb 13, 2015. 12:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yes, but all the companies I rolled the proceeds into also pay rising dividends. The dividend growth rates are either comparable or even more impressive as well. With the exception of GILD, which just announced its first dividend, the other companies all bumped their dividend by double digits and will likely continue to do so.

BND and the other ETFs I plan on buying will be purchased with new money.

To say I don't need bonds now might be correct, but I would rather dollar cost average a small amount into them once or twice a year starting now, as opposed to buying a bunch of them later on down the road. Also, if the market tanks, I can sell the bonds and go bargain shopping for equities.
    Feb 12, 2015. 12:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Brad, good article. Lots of good ideas to consider.
    Feb 12, 2015. 12:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Perhaps, but I also have the option of buying them (XOM, CVX, as well as COP) back, as I don't really seeing them skyrocketing in price any time soon. DIS and CSCO have already returned 8-10% each and I feel more confident in the prospects of GILD, MSFT, and MET than either of those oil stocks in the near to medium term.

BND will be purchased with new money.
    Feb 12, 2015. 11:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Joshua,

I'll probably load up on some oil stocks when/if oil looks like its bottoming. I like Dale's idea too, if my memory serves me correct Canada has a nice correlation to black gold.
    Feb 11, 2015. 11:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    That's a good idea. I'll definitely give them a call before I buy any funds.
    Feb 11, 2015. 11:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks berber,
    that Int'l REIT fund looks promising, I wasn't aware of it before you mentioned it.
    Feb 11, 2015. 12:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the suggestions Brad, I'll be looking into the Int'l bond fund. Might consider VT too.
    Feb 11, 2015. 12:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi mdwork,

I considered a target date fund for this, but ultimately decided on the 5 etfs to give myself more control over the process. In other words, I enjoy the freedom of being able to decide which allocations are right for me at any point in time as opposed to allowing Vanguard to do it for me automatically.

Thanks for reading.
    Feb 10, 2015. 07:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Bruce,

I suppose I should have put sarcasm brackets around the "lucky soul" line. I probably should manage my taxes a little better, however, so point taken. As for the foreign funds and the dividends, I'm not sure it matters what type of account they are held in regarding taxes as this is more of a concern of Vanguard when they ultimately distribute them.

Thanks for reading and the comment.
    Feb 10, 2015. 07:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment