Joseph Harry

View Joseph Harry's Comments BY TICKER:
ABT, ARTNA, BP, CLCT, CSCO, CSX, DIS, DLB, DPS, EMN, F, GE, GIS, GLD, GLW, GM, GOOG, GRMN, IBM, KO, MCD, MET, MO, MSFT, NMRX, NOK, PG, SLW, T, TSLA, V, VZ, WAG, WMT, WU, XRX
  • Hershey: The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly [View article]
    Why would the SEC look at their balance sheet?
    Aug 20, 2015. 05:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building My Roth IRA With An ETF Portfolio That Pays Monthly [View article]
    thanks for reading tiddlywinking. Perhaps I will update annually, or maybe even quarterly.
    Aug 18, 2015. 12:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Tiki Bar Capital,

I was going to go with that fund, or the "ex-financials" one at first, but ultimately decided to break out the funds by market cap so I can weight them however I want. I can do this cost effectively the way my fees are set up, so even though it's more work, I thought it worked best for me to buy the three separate funds instead.
    Aug 17, 2015. 11:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi dwhaartz,

I have a taxable account with 23 individual companies where the bulk of my investments are held. I chose the ETF's for my roth because index funds don't really have the individual risk that individual stocks have, just systemic risk.

The risk of permanent loss, therefore, is much less with an index fund imo. I keep the individual companies in my taxable account because I'm not constrained by the $5,500 annual limit and can load up on as many bargains (if there are any) at any time, in any amount.
    Aug 17, 2015. 11:36 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building My Roth IRA With An ETF Portfolio That Pays Monthly [View article]
    With Sharebuilder, as long as I buy on Tuesdays I pay $12/month and get 12 "free trades" and then every other trade is $1 after that. So essentially nothing, except that monthly fee that I'm charged regardless if I trade or not.
    Aug 15, 2015. 11:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building My Roth IRA With An ETF Portfolio That Pays Monthly [View article]
    I think that I'll get plenty of capital gains from VUG and the small and mid cap funds. Emerging markets should grow nicely over 30+ years imo as well. Dividends also tend to account for a large majority of investment returns over time, so I don't think this portfolio will lack for total returns over a long time period either.

Ultimately, I only want 10%-15% in bonds, but the portfolio above is my first year contributing funds, so the allocation I outlined above is more of a starting foundation than one set in stone, if that makes sense.
    Aug 14, 2015. 01:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building My Roth IRA With An ETF Portfolio That Pays Monthly [View article]
    I figured ETF's were the easiest, most cost effective way to build a globally diversified portfolio, considering the $ amount limitations of IRA's. I have a portfolio of individual stocks in a taxable account.

Another reason I chose ETF funds is because of the Roth structure. If I invest $5,500 in an individual stock that wasn't such a good idea and I lose some of that money permanently, I can't add any more funds to the Roth if I'm already maxed out. Funds don't have much individual risk, just systemic risk.
    Aug 14, 2015. 12:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    theboss201,

I wanted the freedom to strip out and separate emerging markets from developed international economies. That way I can add more to whichever looks more attractive the moment funds are available.
    Aug 14, 2015. 12:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Building My Roth IRA With An ETF Portfolio That Pays Monthly [View article]
    Thanks for the links, I'll give them a read
    Aug 14, 2015. 12:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building My Roth IRA With An ETF Portfolio That Pays Monthly [View article]
    I think that they will likely be negatively impacted, especially TLT. I'm going to dollar cost average into them though and get the compounding process started. I plan to buy them up more aggressively if they drop.
    Aug 14, 2015. 11:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building My Roth IRA With An ETF Portfolio That Pays Monthly [View article]
    I meant in regards to a taxable account, dividends are taxed there. They aren't in a roth. I want my roth to add a decent amount of tax-free income when I'm retired. I'm counting on VUG and the small cap fund to add some decent capital appreciation along the way too.
    Aug 14, 2015. 11:17 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building My Roth IRA With An ETF Portfolio That Pays Monthly [View article]
    Also, monthly compounding is faster than quarterly compounding. I also like getting a payment every month, as opposed to once a quarter. I'd rather spend the interest without touching the principal.
    Aug 14, 2015. 11:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Building My Roth IRA With An ETF Portfolio That Pays Monthly [View article]
    Dividends are taxed even if you reinvest them no?
    Aug 14, 2015. 11:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Philip Morris International And The Curious Case Of Negative Shareholder's Equity [View article]
    Thanks jdk7!
    Jul 22, 2015. 10:19 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Altria's Increasing ROIC Leaves Me Less Concerned About Its Increasing Debt Levels [View article]
    Here you go jdk7,

I hope you find it useful!
    Jul 21, 2015. 12:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment