View as an RSS Feed
View Joseph L. Shaefer's Articles BY TICKER:
Why Has Oil Dropped So Quickly? What Are We Doing About It?
- Oil has sunk like a stone in water.
- Simultaneously, the market seems to be giving us the correction it meant to give us in October.
- The US economy is doing great absent any Fed intervention so I think this might be just a short-term pullback in the market. (We'll see!).
- No matter the market, I think oil stocks are way oversold. A low price for oil begets lower supply which lessens the supply/demand imbalance and raises prices.
Oil And Gas: USA 1, OPEC 0
- OPEC has badly over-estimated its pricing power.
- ...and seriously underestimated American ingenuity, entrepreneurship and technology.
- Here's how we are investing with this in mind. The price of oil itself is cyclical.
- But great companies in this sector simply deal with that cyclicality to survive and thrive.
The One Sector You Must Own Today (Part 3 Of 3)
- The oil and gas sector has gone down in 2014 while the rest of the market has gone up.
- The confluence of OPEC’s meeting, winter in the Northern Hemisphere and global refineries coming back online may change this!
- In Parts 1 and 2, we discussed Equipment Manufacturers, Storage and Transport Firms, Drillers and other Service Providers, and Supply and Demand Factors.
- Now we’ll talk about Big Oil - the integrated firms - Canadian contenders, Energy ETFs, and 4 Special Situations.
- The time to do your due diligence is today - and if you agree with our analysis, the time to buy is now.
The One Sector You Must Own Today (Part II)
- “The market” has done well this year. The S&P, the best of the bunch, is up just a smidgen over 10%.
- The sector that has the greatest history of “reversion to the mean” is the Energy sector.
- We discussed the Equipment Manufacturers and the Storage and Transport Firms in Part I.
- Now let’s review Supply & Demand Factors in Oil & Gas, and the Drillers and other Service Providers.
The One Sector You Must Own Today (Part I)
- “The market” has done well this year. The S&P, the best of the bunch, is up over 10%.
- How about you? If you haven’t kept pace, here’s a rock-solid sector that has hit a temporary speed bump.
- If history is any guide - and it is - these great companies won’t stay cheap for long.
- The time to do your due diligence is today - and if you agree, the time to buy is now.
Possible Market-Moving Events Week Of Oct 27-Oct 31, 2014
Tue, Oct. 28 • 3 Comments
- Use this guide to help you make Portfolio Strategy & Asset Allocation decisions.
- Geopolitical as well as economic events influence market direction and volatility. Here are the biggest "known" events occurring this week.
- We are long-term investors - but at critical market turns, the short term is also key!
- The items in bold are the ones we believe are most likely to have the greatest market effect this week.
We Warned You Early About This Correction, What Are We Doing Now?
- Two of my last three articles warned of the coming correction.
- It’s here.
- So - what’s the best thing to do today?
Don't Do Something (Anything!) - Just Sit There (Calmly)
- Truth or Dare: Do you really believe that trees grow to the heavens?
- That stock markets do best when everyone loves them and investors are fully invested?
- If so, don't waste your time here! We believe this is the time to protect what you've gained.
- Here's how:
Four For The Long Term, Two For Today
- High end luxury goods makers are currently dead in the water.
- A few have grabbed the fickle attention of investors, but there are six that are flat or down.
- ... some of which have withstood the zig-zags of fashion foibles for as long as 100 years!
Build A 'Whatever Happens' Portfolio... Now
- Since no one "knows" what the market will do, we have created a "whatever happens" portfolio.
- Comprised of different asset classes, we are positioned for almost any scenario.
- We are in the funds, ETFs and stocks with the highest volume and liquidity so we can move quickly as the market tells us to!
What A Wonderful Market (And Where This Leads Us)
- I don't "know" what the market will do this week or this month and neither does anyone else.
- I'd like to see a continued rise, but history and experience say there will soon be an Uh-Oh Moment.
- Here's how we're investing for uncertainty: keeping dividend and income holdings as a cushion and buying from among this very small universe of ETFs.
Stop Blaming The Weather: It's Just Plain A Lousy Recovery
- The winter of 2014 was harsh for much of the country.
- The rest of the country had a milder-than-normal winter!
- Our economy isn't sluggish because of the winter; it's sluggish because of more important causes.
- Here's what some of them are; here's how we're investing as a result.
Afraid Of A Market Decline? Consider These Alternatives
- The market has churned all year. Today, the Dow is up just 0.2% after 5 months of "new highs"!
- The S&P is up 2.8%, the NASDAQ 0.2%, and the small cap Russell 2000 is still underwater.
- If you are concerned that "a market that can't go up will go down," here are some excellent alternatives.
Ding! Ding! Ding! Can You Hear The Bell Signaling A Top?
- On March 3, 2009, we advised the bear was ending. It did.
- Today, we are advising that we believe the bull is dying for this cycle.
- Below is our logic -- along with our recommendations to protect your portfolio and possibly enjoy a gain.
Markets Go Up And Down. What To Buy Now... And Later!
- The market is priced for perfection.
- Expecting significant improvement from these lofty valuations is a fool's errand.
- How we are positioning for a possible decline.
- ... and what we plan to buy as it unfolds.
Are Earnings Important? Yes, But... Revenues Count For More!
- Too many companies are increasing earnings solely by layoffs and other cost-cutting.
- There are a few sectors and industries, however, that are growing revenues.
- A company can only "cut" so far; we need to invest in those firms that grow revenues and earnings.
- Here are our favorite sectors that do both.
Mon, Mar. 17 • 10 Comments
- What Russia does in Crimea is important -- this week.
- Next month? Not so much.
- A year from now? What was all the fuss about?
- Don't let transitory events derail your investment strategy.
- Are You 'Relatively' Successful? There's A Smarter Way To Invest...
- Controlled Burns Lead To New Growth (In Markets As Well As In Forests)
- 2013 Was Great! Are There Any Bargains Left For 2014? (Part II)
- 2013 Was Great! Are There Any Bargains Left For 2014? (Part I)
- Who Are The Best Forecasters For 2014? And Beyond?
- 5 Depressed Companies Ready For A Rebound: Worthy Of A December Buy
- Natural Resource Partners: Left For Dead, A Stirring Lazarus
- Trinity Industries: They've Been Workin' On The Railcars
- The Chemical And Mining Co. Of Chile Is A DOG! I Think We'll Adopt It...
- Why I'm Now Buying IBM (And Other 'Old' Tech Companies)
- Thinking Of Investing With A Hedge Fund? Consider These ETFs Instead
- Tesco: A Defensive Selection For A Rough Patch In The Markets
- Is It Time To Take Some Chips Off The Table?
- Afraid You've Been Too Conservative And Missed The Market?
- There Is No Alternative? That's The Dumbest Thing I Ever Heard