View as an RSS Feed
View Joseph L. Shaefer's Articles BY TICKER:
We Warned You Early About This Correction, What Are We Doing Now?
- Two of my last three articles warned of the coming correction.
- It’s here.
- So - what’s the best thing to do today?
Don't Do Something (Anything!) - Just Sit There (Calmly)
- Truth or Dare: Do you really believe that trees grow to the heavens?
- That stock markets do best when everyone loves them and investors are fully invested?
- If so, don't waste your time here! We believe this is the time to protect what you've gained.
- Here's how:
Four For The Long Term, Two For Today
- High end luxury goods makers are currently dead in the water.
- A few have grabbed the fickle attention of investors, but there are six that are flat or down.
- ... some of which have withstood the zig-zags of fashion foibles for as long as 100 years!
Build A 'Whatever Happens' Portfolio... Now
- Since no one "knows" what the market will do, we have created a "whatever happens" portfolio.
- Comprised of different asset classes, we are positioned for almost any scenario.
- We are in the funds, ETFs and stocks with the highest volume and liquidity so we can move quickly as the market tells us to!
What A Wonderful Market (And Where This Leads Us)
- I don't "know" what the market will do this week or this month and neither does anyone else.
- I'd like to see a continued rise, but history and experience say there will soon be an Uh-Oh Moment.
- Here's how we're investing for uncertainty: keeping dividend and income holdings as a cushion and buying from among this very small universe of ETFs.
Stop Blaming The Weather: It's Just Plain A Lousy Recovery
- The winter of 2014 was harsh for much of the country.
- The rest of the country had a milder-than-normal winter!
- Our economy isn't sluggish because of the winter; it's sluggish because of more important causes.
- Here's what some of them are; here's how we're investing as a result.
Afraid Of A Market Decline? Consider These Alternatives
- The market has churned all year. Today, the Dow is up just 0.2% after 5 months of "new highs"!
- The S&P is up 2.8%, the NASDAQ 0.2%, and the small cap Russell 2000 is still underwater.
- If you are concerned that "a market that can't go up will go down," here are some excellent alternatives.
Ding! Ding! Ding! Can You Hear The Bell Signaling A Top?
- On March 3, 2009, we advised the bear was ending. It did.
- Today, we are advising that we believe the bull is dying for this cycle.
- Below is our logic -- along with our recommendations to protect your portfolio and possibly enjoy a gain.
Markets Go Up And Down. What To Buy Now... And Later!
- The market is priced for perfection.
- Expecting significant improvement from these lofty valuations is a fool's errand.
- How we are positioning for a possible decline.
- ... and what we plan to buy as it unfolds.
Are Earnings Important? Yes, But... Revenues Count For More!
- Too many companies are increasing earnings solely by layoffs and other cost-cutting.
- There are a few sectors and industries, however, that are growing revenues.
- A company can only "cut" so far; we need to invest in those firms that grow revenues and earnings.
- Here are our favorite sectors that do both.
Mon, Mar. 17 • 10 Comments
- What Russia does in Crimea is important -- this week.
- Next month? Not so much.
- A year from now? What was all the fuss about?
- Don't let transitory events derail your investment strategy.
- Are You 'Relatively' Successful? There's A Smarter Way To Invest...
- Controlled Burns Lead To New Growth (In Markets As Well As In Forests)
- 2013 Was Great! Are There Any Bargains Left For 2014? (Part II)
- 2013 Was Great! Are There Any Bargains Left For 2014? (Part I)
- Who Are The Best Forecasters For 2014? And Beyond?
- 5 Depressed Companies Ready For A Rebound: Worthy Of A December Buy
- Natural Resource Partners: Left For Dead, A Stirring Lazarus
- Trinity Industries: They've Been Workin' On The Railcars
- The Chemical And Mining Co. Of Chile Is A DOG! I Think We'll Adopt It...
- Why I'm Now Buying IBM (And Other 'Old' Tech Companies)
- Thinking Of Investing With A Hedge Fund? Consider These ETFs Instead
- Tesco: A Defensive Selection For A Rough Patch In The Markets
- Is It Time To Take Some Chips Off The Table?
- Afraid You've Been Too Conservative And Missed The Market?
- There Is No Alternative? That's The Dumbest Thing I Ever Heard
- Trend Anticipation Strategy: What We Are Buying And Holding Now
- Unsure About Markets? Why These Great Companies Are A Good Buy
- Economic Malaise Not Affecting These Countries (Or Companies)
- 'Are Mom And Pop Investors Late To The Party Again?'
The One Move You Must Prepare To Take - While Others Are Wringing Their Hands
Feb. 16, 2013 • 13 Comments
- 2013 -- Breakout Or Comeuppance?