Joseph L. Shaefer

View Joseph L. Shaefer's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Quickchat #279, March 19, 2015 [View instapost]
    Maya, as always I tend to catch up with the Gades on weekends... sorry for the delay. Hell, if I thought it would have gotten rid of Harry Reid, I'd have jumped out of more than just my boots!
    The biggest news in that event is how good it will be for the COUNTRY. Our president has lost the arm-twister he needed in the Senate now that both are lame ducks.
    But since this is an investment site, I would also point out that the unavoidable logic of Yucca Mtn is now, I believe, a slam dunk. The gambling interests that oppose anything that might keep a single sucker away from Vegas don't know who to pay off any more -- and it clearly makes more sense to put all our spent fuel "eggs" in one basket and watch that basket rather than give terrorists 126 utility spent fuel ponds around the country to choose from.
    Mar 29, 2015. 09:56 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Special Forces Can Teach Us About Investing [View article]
    Boy, are there corollaries to investing THERE. I'll try to do something like that in the next couple months, Able. A hat tip to you for noting just how "real" that could be!
    Mar 20, 2015. 01:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Special Forces Can Teach Us About Investing [View article]
    Where would you like to move them TO? ;>)
    Mar 20, 2015. 01:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Special Forces Can Teach Us About Investing [View article]
    De Oppresso Liber, Expat...
    Mar 20, 2015. 01:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Special Forces Can Teach Us About Investing [View article]
    I couldn't have said it any better. And many otherwise astute investors do it all well -- up until the point where they need to recognize it's time to say, "Things have changed here, and not for the better" and redeploy their assets elsewhere. Industries change, companies are challenged by new competitors, etc. When the investing situation or terrain changes, sometimes we need to take a small loss and move on for greater gain.
    Mar 19, 2015. 11:13 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Special Forces Can Teach Us About Investing [View article]
    Nice response. ;>) Yes, he does have a fair to middling record, doesn't he? ANd the resources to come back to fight another day!
    Mar 19, 2015. 11:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Special Forces Can Teach Us About Investing [View article]
    Bully for you, stockcat12. "...what is the most effective strategy to use with the resources I have at the moment" is infinitely superior to, "Gee, I wish I could buy all this good stuff I read about" or "If only I had more money, I could do x or y." Build with what we have and it actually forces us to be more thoughtful and more selective.
    Mar 19, 2015. 11:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Special Forces Can Teach Us About Investing [View article]
    I WISH I'd still been young enough and still in SF to have been one of the horse soldiers in Afghanistan in 2001-2002! But by then I had already left SF and gone into HUMINT (Human Intelligence) in the Air Force. No, that wasn't me in the photo. But if you are interested, the story of the Army SF and Air Force Combat Controllers (I believe USAF Sgt. Bart Decker is one of the team in that photo) who took the fight to the Taliban just 40 days after 9/11, I recommend Doug Stanton's book "Horse Soldiers."

As for the 1st photo of some long-ago-young Captain practicing rappel insertion, well, I'll have to fess up to that one. Good eye, Samuidavid...
    Mar 19, 2015. 11:04 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • NORW:​ A Solid Country, Solid Stocks And A Great Price [View article]
    XLNT entry price. You neat me; I had to average down yesterday!
    Mar 18, 2015. 06:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • NORW:​ A Solid Country, Solid Stocks And A Great Price [View article]
    Fine companies, both. Subsea 7 is actually UK-domiciled but is a key holding for NORW,
    Mar 18, 2015. 06:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • NORW:​ A Solid Country, Solid Stocks And A Great Price [View article]
    With the Euro approaching parity with the USD, there's a difference? ;>)

Of course there is -- but in this case and I doubt for long, the krone has fallen alongside the Euro. I'll be in Norway, the UK and Euroland in a month and, frankly, the Euro and krone on my last trip 2 years ago, versus today, are tracking rather closely. So while NORW's holdings are cheaper for USD investors today, they are at least no more expensive for Euro buyers. At least for the present time...
    Mar 18, 2015. 06:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • NORW:​ A Solid Country, Solid Stocks And A Great Price [View article]
    No, but they have one guy who owns 7 Teslas -- and Hertz rents the Volvo V60 screamer at a (for Hertz) fair price!
    ;>)
    Mar 18, 2015. 06:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • NORW:​ A Solid Country, Solid Stocks And A Great Price [View article]
    stoxfox, great minds think alike and may sink or swim together. HEDJ and DXJ have been two of our largest positions since the beginning of the year!
    Mar 16, 2015. 05:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • NORW:​ A Solid Country, Solid Stocks And A Great Price [View article]
    My pleasure, Buy Low. As long as the quality is there and a catalyst in sight, that's my mantra as well...
    Mar 16, 2015. 11:19 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • If You Could Buy Only 2... [View article]
    As you might surmise from the article, for me I prefer hedging currency as long as the underlying portfolios are attractive in the first place. We own shares of both of these...
    Mar 10, 2015. 03:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment