Joseph L. Shaefer

View Joseph L. Shaefer's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Build A 'Whatever Happens' Portfolio... Now [View article]
    Of course you'd buy at 50% off! Wouldn't we all? But would you be the 1 in 10 that holds something as it goes from 100 to 50? And if you did -- versus taking some profits and buying it back later -- with your portfolio down as much as 50%, would you really be so clear-headed as to be buying then?
    Aug 16, 2014. 06:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Build A 'Whatever Happens' Portfolio... Now [View article]
    CNBC? You mean the Constant Noisy Bull Channel??

Scare people? What might I gain by scaring our readers on SA? I've been in this business for 40 years and seen markets rise and markets fall, no matter how cool the charts are or how adamantly chartists believe they can predict the future.

I can't, so I do the next best thing -- I take precautions when they are warranted and look to be 100% long as the panic hits. It's worked for a few decades so I stick with it. I'm sentimental that way. :-)
    Aug 16, 2014. 05:58 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Build A 'Whatever Happens' Portfolio... Now [View article]
    Hi, OG. We own mostly long/short no load, no transaction fee funds in the hedged arena. But we do own a smidgen of PHDG and VQT, which is our smallest position. All others mentioned in the article ex-VQT are ETFs...
    Aug 16, 2014. 05:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Build A 'Whatever Happens' Portfolio... Now [View article]
    Yeah, maybe a little... :) And thank you for your comments. Spirited exchange of ideas is what makes for the best decisions!
    All the best,
    JS
    Aug 16, 2014. 10:28 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Build A 'Whatever Happens' Portfolio... Now [View article]
    There are scores of ways to find happiness in investing. For you, Byloe Enhold works. For us, Byloe Enhold works for months or years. Then Selhi Enwait preserves more capital until we can once again Byloe Enhold for a few years. Your mileage may vary!
    Aug 15, 2014. 09:10 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Build A 'Whatever Happens' Portfolio... Now [View article]
    @AE_Savant: Hmmm. We determine the appropriate weight of each investment for our clients because we know their individual situation.

I would not presume to tell strangers, without knowing anything about their temperament, risk tolerance, asset base, income, or time available to watch the portfolio what % to invest in each category. That would be irresponsible in the extreme. This portfolio should be a starting point for each reader's due diligence -- as I say verbatim in our "The Fine Print" conclusion!
    Aug 15, 2014. 09:08 PM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Build A 'Whatever Happens' Portfolio... Now [View article]
    @Harm Elderman --
    Well, uh, yeaahh!! At the risk of stating the obvious, I don't present this as some perfect portfolio for all time -- it is what we are doing right now, today, in this market. Refer to my article of March 2009 to see what we do when we perceive a bottom and a serious buying opportunity...

PS -- Answering your question about the airplane: anyone who's ever been in special operations. (Yes, I was.) :-)
    Aug 15, 2014. 08:45 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Build A 'Whatever Happens' Portfolio... Now [View article]
    If you are just starting to build a portfolio, might I suggest you consider a US and a foreign bond fund / ETF, a US and foreign equity holding from among the more promising ones I mention above, and a US real estate fund or ETF.
    Aug 15, 2014. 08:41 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Build A 'Whatever Happens' Portfolio... Now [View article]
    Our typical $500,000 portfolio would have 10-15 positions. At a million or more, more like 20. That's plenty to achieve the diversification we seek. And we are currently slightly more heavily weighted to US and foreign income offerings, vice equities.
    Aug 15, 2014. 08:39 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Build A 'Whatever Happens' Portfolio... Now [View article]
    Thank you, Patient Value. Intrigued by your Contributor monicker I checked out your articles. It seems we are both struck by the value approach!
    Aug 15, 2014. 08:37 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Build A 'Whatever Happens' Portfolio... Now [View article]
    My pleasure, sir. Thank you for your kind comments.
    Aug 15, 2014. 08:35 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • REE/Strategic Minerals Concentrator, March 18, 2014 [View instapost]
    MCP declares $84 mm loss for Q2. Investors sad. MCP discloses Oaktree Cap commits to $400 mm in financing. Investors happy. I propose a new ticker for Moly: YOYO...
    Aug 6, 2014. 04:53 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Quickchat#272, June 16, 2014 [View instapost]
    Mercy, have you taken a look at MWA's smaller competitor, SNHY? I'm not buying any new US equities right now but if I were, I like Sun's margins, ROA and ROE even better than top dog MWA...
    Jul 29, 2014. 01:47 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What A Wonderful Market (And Where This Leads Us) [View article]
    Hello brianklu,

The terrible thing about putting your views in print is that the record is there forever.
    The GREAT thing about putting your views in print is that the record is there forever!

It's impossible to verify what some broker tells you they've done for their "other clients," but easy to see what someone willing to put it in print has said and done. You are welcome to peruse my articles for both years, easily done here at SA and elsewhere. I try to write a few articles of significance rather than comment moment-to-moment or every other day, so there aren't that many.

In 2013 I was optimistic but cautiously so, staying invested but close to the exits. (I was wildly optimistic about a few companies, however -- the old guard techs like IBM, CSCO, ORCL and INTC; railcar manufacturer and more TRN; lithium and phosphate producer SQM, etc.)

And, whenever possible, I use trailing stops, not stop orders. If I'm wrong in my concerns about a stock's momentum, a trailing stop allows me to ratchet up my sell price along the the rise in the price of the stock. Hope this helps!
    Best,
    JS
    Jul 11, 2014. 01:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What A Wonderful Market (And Where This Leads Us) [View article]
    It's not sustainable. All balloons have a stretching point beyond which the last puff of air proves to be one too many. The result is not pretty.
    Jul 8, 2014. 01:29 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment