View as an RSS Feed
View Joseph P. Porter's Articles BY TICKER:
PCEF Vs. YYY: Is Bigger Always Better?
- YYY has managed to outperform PCEF so far this year 9.76% to 8.41% (total returns).
- Both ETFs have underperformed their respective indexes, despite following them fairly closely.
- PCEF suffers from having a large number of low-yielding CEFs among its holdings.
United-Guardian, Inc.: Excellent Fundamentals Beat Weakened Earnings
- At the time of writing, United-Guardian's overall fundamentals are among the leading in the U.S.
- While revenues have grown more than 35% from 2006 - 2013, its net profit has grown by more than three times that.
- The Company's dividend yield is nearly 4%, and has grown steadily since first being offered.
- Current share prices may be an opportunity to buy into this Company at a discount.
Royalty Trusts And The ETF Retirement Portfolio
- A royalty trust can earn dividend yields as high as 30% or more, and is funded by the profits from the founding company.
- Unlike shares of stock, royalty-trust units do not confer ownership rights to the holder.
- "Buy and hold" may not be the most effective investment strategy with royalty trusts.
Update: NIC, Inc. Improves Position
- NIC, Inc. reported MRQ (April 1 - June 30) 2014 revenues up YOY, and on pace to beat FY expectations.
- Company has added one new client, renewed six clients, and extended three.
- The performance of the Company seems to satisfy concerns I had in my initial assessment, making it a reasonable "buy.".
Boosting Yield In The ETF Retirement Portfolio
- The ETF Retirement Portfolio survived the last week of July with minimal loss.
- It is possible to boost the yield of the Retirement Portfolio by properly allocating one's investments.
- There are two financial instruments that enable the investor to achieve significant yield without unduly risking investment capital.
Update: The Female Health Company Strategy Decision
- FHCO will discontinue dividends to help fund initiatives to improve sales and possibly diversify.
- The announcement confirms my initial belief that FHCO may be too limited in both product line and capacity.
- I believe it may be a sign that it is time to sell FHCO.
Update: ORBCOMM, Inc. Operations Satellite Launch
- ORBCOMM announced the successful launch and deployment of its first payload of six OG2 satellites.
- In my initial coverage of ORBCOMM, I asserted that this launching was a definite must for the company.
- The successful launch of the first load of OG2 satellites strengthens my belief that this is a good long-term purchase.
Update: Simulations Plus, Inc. Earnings
- Company fiscal year 2014 third quarter results show significant earnings growth.
- Activities thus far are in keeping with my assessment and observations of a year ago.
- Financial results and recent hiring confirm my belief that this company is still a strong buy.
The PIC Portfolio Trials: Mid-Year Assessment
- The Dow portfolio is doing exceptionally well.
- In the S&P portfolio, Coach turned into a pumpkin.
- Forty percent of the USA portfolio (American companies only) had to be "deported.".
ORBCOMM, Inc.: Why I Have Reservations
- ORBCOMM is currently preparing to deploy a new constellation of 17 satellites for tracking and monitoring remote assets.
- The company has a decided edge in offering AIS services to over 100 companies and government agencies.
- The company has turned its first profits in the last two fiscal years.
Adjusting The ETF Retirement Portfolio
- Because AOM was underperforming, I opted to replace it with PCEF, an ETF containing closed-end funds.
- PCEF offers a dividend yield of 7.97% and has year-to-date total returns of 6.76%.
- With PCEF the retirement portfolio achieves a 4.54% performance and YTD total return of 6.19%.
5 ETFs For A Reliable Retirement Portfolio
- The ETFs presented here provide a diversified portfolio containing bonds and equities in a way that can be adjusted to suit the investor's interests.
- Year to date, the ETFs used to form the retirement portfolio have provided a total return of more than 5%.
- The five ETFs used in the portfolio have a combined dividend yield (trailing twelve months) of 4.03%.
NIC Inc.: E-Government At Its Best
- NIC is the largest e-Government service provider in the U.S., having served 30 states, local governments, the U.S. Department of Transportation and Federal Election Board.
- NIC operates with two business units: one providing portal services, the other providing e-government software and service.
- NIC enables state and local governments to establish internet presence at no cost, collecting revenues from user fees shared with the government entity.
- Over the past ten years, NIC has averaged approximately 18% revenue growth YOY.
- Over the course of 2014, 15 state contracts are scheduled to expire, although four do have renewal options.
Stamps.com: A Solid Dot-Com Success
- Since 2010 Stamps.com revenues have grown by 50%; net profit has increased by nearly 800% in the same period.
- The Company is now partnered with, or integrated with, 37 companies, including Microsoft, Amazon, Intuit, Hewlett-Packard and eBay/PayPal.
- In 2013 Stamps.com averaged 466,000 monthly subscribing customers paying an average $21.51 per month for services.
- The Company is committed to directing its resources where it will achieve the highest ROI.
Why I Do Not Trust Bitcoin
- Bitcoin’s volatility makes it an unreliable medium for financial transactions.
- A Bitcoin-generated free market system becomes an inherently adversarial process, pitting the best interests of the buyer against the best interests of the seller.
- Rising concerns about the security of the Bitcoin software indicate that its economic system is vulnerable to externalities.
- Bitcoin may actually violate the principles of the free market economy that it purports to establish.
- 3 Top Pharmaceuticals: Patents, Pipelines And Prospects
- AstraZeneca Vs. NTDs: Does Profitability Win Out?
- Price-To-Book Values: Use Caution
- The Female Health Company: Fundamentals & Commitment
- Identifying Solid Diagnostic Substances Companies
- Dogging The Markets: End-Of-Year Update
- Gilead Sciences And The Numbers Game
- Fundamentally Attractive Biotechnology "Pick & Shovel" Companies
- 5 Revenue-Growing Biotechs With Attractive Fundamentals
- 5 Biotechnology Bargains With Attractive Fundamentals
- Are Emerging-Market ETFs Safe?
- What's Left Of Enzon Pharmaceuticals?
- Dogging The Dow And S&P: The ETF Approach
- Dogging The Dow And The S&P 500: Dividends, Fundamentals And A Little Serendipity
- Invacare Corporation: Underlining The Need For Due Diligence
- Simulations Plus, Inc.: Enhancing Ethical Biomedical Research
- Double-Digit Dividend Yields Revisited