Joseph Poma

View Joseph Poma's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Building A Case For Coinstar [View article]
    That is a very weak argument, and if the two companies work jointly, then they would want to use the name with greater brand appeal. Verizon has greater market presence then Coinstar/Redbox. It is only logical to use the brand name that will generate the most positive customer reaction. With Redbox raising prices 20% recently, maybe the tandem believes that using the Verizon name could lure back those customers who left Redbox because of the hikes.

If you read the bottom of the article, it says " Now they just need streaming technology, a subscription plan and content. " Do you really think Verizon is going to go out and work out deals with the studios? No, they are going to utilize a partner who already has those assets. Not only does the article above not prove your point, it reinforces what I've said, that a deal is coming soon and that it will likely be with CSTR!
    Jan 20, 2012. 02:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Case For Coinstar [View article]
    Found this article via TechCrunch, you might like to read it as it addresses you "concerns" over the lack of a streaming service.

Jan 20, 2012. 01:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Building A Case For Coinstar [View article]
    Those delays are across the board to blockbuster and NFLX as well. The issue has been made public so loudly that the customers realize the issue is not with CSTR but with the studios. Not many people are going to give in and buy a $25 or $30 DVD just because they have to wait 4 more weeks. The customers of the kiosk brands already wait 28 days to see the "new releases" which means if they haven't turned to go to the theaters already, the extra time won't scare them to the theaters either. Everyone is blowing this out of proportion. While it is obvious that the sooner new releases hit the kiosk, the better, it isn't the end of a company just because of a longer delay.

As for the streaming service, while it has yet to be confirmed, I would rather have the company make sure they release a product of high quality and value, not some shoddy job that ultimately fails. As per the rumors of the partnership, I am led to believe they must be true and they are caught up on details. When it was rumored that Verizon was interested in acquiring Netflix, VZ immediately put those rumors to bed. If the Redbox rumor was false they would have done the same and they haven't. If I had to guess, they are probably hitting a snag in regards to the sharing of revenues.
    Jan 20, 2012. 01:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Fundamentally Overpriced [View article]
    ...MCD is down today while the bulk of the market is trading higher... If this is supposed to be a sign of a stock going higher than I am quite confused.
    Jan 19, 2012. 01:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Prepare To Buy Kodak [View article]
    Come on man, get real. The market is efficient, if there is any arbitrage opportunity it would be exploited until the opportunity ceases to exist. If there is a "pattern" that can be used to generate profits, it is only a matter of time till that "pattern" no longer yields results. That my friend is in fact intuitive and proven as well.
    Jan 19, 2012. 12:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Prepare To Buy Kodak [View article]
    FAIL!!! This strategy was such a bad idea to begin with. Stop trying to make a "quick buck" on risky trades, you might as well go to the track and bet on the long shot pony. You'll have better returns, less agony and more fun!
    Jan 19, 2012. 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Fundamentally Overpriced [View article]
    Yes, or sometimes even in the money puts depending on my own expectations for the stock. Why buy the stock outright when you can be paid to buy it from someone at a price that you choose?
    Jan 17, 2012. 07:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons To Anticipate Facebook's IPO [View article]
    I am interested to see what sort of revenue stream Facebook is generating through the "Facebook Credits". Many other companies have tried the credits format and it has been total failure. Does this have potential or is it a money losing side project?
    Jan 16, 2012. 11:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Fundamentally Overpriced [View article]
    Ha! I don't touch the stuff personally.
    Jan 15, 2012. 10:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Fundamentally Overpriced [View article]
    I understand fully the concept of the DCF analysis and the workings behind it. Apparently you want all writers to have cookie cutter recommendations and estimates on every stock. The reason why investors in the market have different opinions is because they alter formulas and theories how they see fit and not because they stick with the "standard".
    Jan 15, 2012. 10:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Fundamentally Overpriced [View article]
    I agree, and though I prefer selling puts then selling calls vs. a standard buy-write strategy.
    Jan 15, 2012. 10:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Fundamentally Overpriced [View article]
    Be as skeptical as you want. It is skepticism that breeds good worth ethic. And as for myself, I'm not trying to impress you or anyone else and so I frankly don't care about your opinion if it doesn't pertain to the subject of the article.
    Jan 14, 2012. 11:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Fundamentally Overpriced [View article]
    While I do believe the markets will recover nicely in the coming months, I don't believe MCD will rise "lockstep" with the market. MCD is a defensive stock, which has funds flow into it during times of hardship like we have just seen. As market confidence builds up, the risk trade will be put back on and there will be cash flows out of MCD and into more growth oriented companies. Also, MCD has a beta of .5, I would hardly call that "lockstep" with the S&P, if you were so bullish on the market, an index fund may be a better alternative.
    Jan 14, 2012. 03:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Fundamentally Overpriced [View article]
    Not for nothing, but even if the initial premise of your conditional statement were true, it still would not be a valid statement. Just because someone believes that they are capable of a steady return in excess of society "norms" does not make that person a fraud. If on the other hand I had proposed to prospective clients that I'd manage their money based on the understanding that I would be capable of earning those managed accounts a 15% return, yes, then that would be fraud. As for ignorance, call it what you may, but I have had no troubles making a decent return over the years.
    Jan 14, 2012. 03:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Fundamentally Overpriced [View article]
    Very cute response, but as long as I continue managing my portfolio properly, I have no reason to believe that a 15% return can not be duplicated over time. As for calling me a fraud, I'd appreciate a retraction of that statement. I am not defrauding anyone here. That is an inappropriate statement and can be construed as slander.
    Jan 14, 2012. 02:06 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment