Joseph Poma

View Joseph Poma's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Prepare To Buy Kodak [View article]
    Come on man, get real. The market is efficient, if there is any arbitrage opportunity it would be exploited until the opportunity ceases to exist. If there is a "pattern" that can be used to generate profits, it is only a matter of time till that "pattern" no longer yields results. That my friend is in fact intuitive and proven as well.
    Jan 19, 2012. 12:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Prepare To Buy Kodak [View article]
    FAIL!!! This strategy was such a bad idea to begin with. Stop trying to make a "quick buck" on risky trades, you might as well go to the track and bet on the long shot pony. You'll have better returns, less agony and more fun!
    Jan 19, 2012. 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Fundamentally Overpriced [View article]
    Yes, or sometimes even in the money puts depending on my own expectations for the stock. Why buy the stock outright when you can be paid to buy it from someone at a price that you choose?
    Jan 17, 2012. 07:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons To Anticipate Facebook's IPO [View article]
    I am interested to see what sort of revenue stream Facebook is generating through the "Facebook Credits". Many other companies have tried the credits format and it has been total failure. Does this have potential or is it a money losing side project?
    Jan 16, 2012. 11:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Fundamentally Overpriced [View article]
    Ha! I don't touch the stuff personally.
    Jan 15, 2012. 10:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Fundamentally Overpriced [View article]
    I understand fully the concept of the DCF analysis and the workings behind it. Apparently you want all writers to have cookie cutter recommendations and estimates on every stock. The reason why investors in the market have different opinions is because they alter formulas and theories how they see fit and not because they stick with the "standard".
    Jan 15, 2012. 10:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Fundamentally Overpriced [View article]
    I agree, and though I prefer selling puts then selling calls vs. a standard buy-write strategy.
    Jan 15, 2012. 10:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Fundamentally Overpriced [View article]
    Be as skeptical as you want. It is skepticism that breeds good worth ethic. And as for myself, I'm not trying to impress you or anyone else and so I frankly don't care about your opinion if it doesn't pertain to the subject of the article.
    Jan 14, 2012. 11:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Fundamentally Overpriced [View article]
    While I do believe the markets will recover nicely in the coming months, I don't believe MCD will rise "lockstep" with the market. MCD is a defensive stock, which has funds flow into it during times of hardship like we have just seen. As market confidence builds up, the risk trade will be put back on and there will be cash flows out of MCD and into more growth oriented companies. Also, MCD has a beta of .5, I would hardly call that "lockstep" with the S&P, if you were so bullish on the market, an index fund may be a better alternative.
    Jan 14, 2012. 03:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Fundamentally Overpriced [View article]
    Not for nothing, but even if the initial premise of your conditional statement were true, it still would not be a valid statement. Just because someone believes that they are capable of a steady return in excess of society "norms" does not make that person a fraud. If on the other hand I had proposed to prospective clients that I'd manage their money based on the understanding that I would be capable of earning those managed accounts a 15% return, yes, then that would be fraud. As for ignorance, call it what you may, but I have had no troubles making a decent return over the years.
    Jan 14, 2012. 03:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Fundamentally Overpriced [View article]
    Very cute response, but as long as I continue managing my portfolio properly, I have no reason to believe that a 15% return can not be duplicated over time. As for calling me a fraud, I'd appreciate a retraction of that statement. I am not defrauding anyone here. That is an inappropriate statement and can be construed as slander.
    Jan 14, 2012. 02:06 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Fundamentally Overpriced [View article]
    Again, it's all a matter of proper diversification. if you invest the bulk in 30% loans, you must anticipate a higher default rate. My own allocation is described an a comment above.
    Jan 14, 2012. 02:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Fundamentally Overpriced [View article]
    As I mentioned above, the site requirements have dramatically improved since when they first began and the overall financial visibility of the borrower has improved as well. My own portfolio is concentrated primarily within the A and B tiers. Loans within these tiers offer returns varying as low as 7% and as high as 20%. I monitor all of my loans on a daily basis to observe any inconsistencies with proper payment and those that I feel are at risk of default get auctioned off. While there have been delinquencies, defaults have been kept to a minimum and my monthly income stream has been steady. Currently only 4% of my loans have defaulted, while a majority (~85%) of the funded loans are considered "seasoned", meaning they have made all payments for at least 10 consecutive months. Taking advantage of site promotions has also helped augment returns.
    Jan 14, 2012. 02:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Fundamentally Overpriced [View article]
    The requirements and transparency have dramatically increased since when the site first began. That, along with a well diversified loan portfolio, offers great opportunity.
    Jan 14, 2012. 01:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's: Fundamentally Overpriced [View article]
    I'll keep that in mind for next time, I appreciate the comments and feedback!
    Jan 14, 2012. 01:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment