Joseph Poma

View Joseph Poma's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Facebook reportedly offered $3B or more for Snapchat, was turned down [View news story]
    There is nothing to worry about with Facebook. Instagram is huge among younger kids and so those "losses in DAU's" will be irrelevant once Instagram begins to be monetized in 2014. As a shareholder I am glad Facebook did not acquire SnapChat at such a lofty price. No revenues, as soon as ads appeared the youth base would rebel, and even with advertising, advertising rates on such a youth focused app platform would be well below what they are already receiving.
    Nov 13, 2013. 08:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Burn after reading: Another Model S fire [View news story]
    How many Ford's are on the road? How many Tesla's? Can't compare absolutes, only relatives and I'm sure Tesla is "winning" that race by a mile ;-) SHORT
    Nov 7, 2013. 01:34 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter prices IPO at $26 [View news story]
    $17 Billion for a company with no profits... Looks like the DotCom Bubble is back again!
    Nov 6, 2013. 07:11 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ambarella falls thanks to Morgan Stanley downgrade [View news story]
    Thanks for the cheaper shares! In for the long run!
    Oct 30, 2013. 02:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Has Carl Icahn's Herbalife Position Left Him Exposed? [View article]
    So, inserting this first paragraph has accomplished what then? You say you have never seen anyone use the product, what conclusion do you wish your reader to draw? Seems to me you are trying to portray the Herbalife product as one with no consumer base, and I believe most readers would agree.
    Oct 25, 2013. 03:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Has Carl Icahn's Herbalife Position Left Him Exposed? [View article]
    I'm sorry, do you know the exact statistics regarding who the end consumer is of the Herbalife products, because if not, your "non-product" claim is moot. Congratulations also on your weak attempt at mocking the Latin language, I was doubled over laughing hysterically for a solid minute.
    Oct 25, 2013. 02:54 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Has Carl Icahn's Herbalife Position Left Him Exposed? [View article]
    That has got to be the WORST introduction to an article ever. Just because YOU have never seen someone use or mention an F-1 shake does not mean it doesn't have a strong consumer base. If that were the case, I don't see people using or discussing their use of Depends adult diapers, so therefore the stock of the company making that one product should probably be shorted.

Look, I read both the long and short articles for HLF because I believe the story is interesting. I don't care either way what happens, I'm long both puts and calls. Do I think the company is a pyramid scheme, sure. Is it possible that the "members" are also consumers, I don't see why not. I don't know the full inside details, nor have I interviewed a significant number of individual representatives to draw a meaningful conclusion so I will not sit here and debate who is right and who is wrong because ultimately, without information, it boils down to a moral disagreement.

Maybe it's the logic teacher in me, but you do a disservice to your credibility when you start any conversation with a logical fallacy (Argumentum Ad Ignorantiam).
    Oct 25, 2013. 10:57 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • All Hell Could Break Loose For Herbalife Any Day [View article]
    My mistake for thinking you held yourself to a higher standard. I've made a mental note to disregard anything you have to say.
    Oct 22, 2013. 10:56 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • All Hell Could Break Loose For Herbalife Any Day [View article]
    Author, you comment (read as ridicule) on the CEO's inability to maintain a professional appearance in front of crowds, but then you go ahead and argue with those who comment when their opinions differ. Please, tell me now who is the unprofessional here?

As for my position on HLF, both Long and Short via Puts and calls, so IDGAF which way it moves when it inevitably does.
    Oct 22, 2013. 10:28 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google, Facebook reach display ad deal [View news story]
    This seems to me that Google is admitting that FB is superior to Google +. But then again, we all knew that!
    Oct 21, 2013. 09:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google moves €8.8B to Bermuda to keep taxes low [View news story]
    It's kind of like those jerk drivers on the highway that drive ALL the way down the entrance ramp to the highway and then get on at the very end, cutting someone off. Is it a jerk move, absolutely...but it's not illegal, they're using all the space that was given to them.
    Oct 11, 2013. 09:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook: Soon To Be A Shell Of Its Former Self, Like AOL [View article]
    Sava wins best reply to an SA article...ever!
    Oct 1, 2013. 05:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook: Soon To Be A Shell Of Its Former Self, Like AOL [View article]
    Right, but just because someone doesn't click on an ad, doesn't mean they ultimately don't support the business... otherwise why would we have high way billboards?
    Oct 1, 2013. 05:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: An Ethical Short [View article]
    As for your snide remark Gadget, If I use hypothetical assumptions then I declare them as such and support why I am making those assumptions.
    Sep 30, 2013. 03:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: An Ethical Short [View article]
    Sorry, but you try to give yourself credibility by saying this is x% likely to happen, but you don't break down the information you used to derive your fictitious percentages. Now if you had said that 75% of companies with certain characteristics have experienced x,y and z troubles, then maybe I would have given value to your extrapolation. I have to tell kids all the time, don't make up numbers because you think they are right. Numbers are precise and if you are going to use them, you had better well back them up. You have no idea, you are clueless about the actual likelihood of an event occurring, so if you want to mask that, use phrases such as "I believe it is likely" etc., but certainly don't belittle the value of numbers or act as though you are some actuarial savant.
    Sep 30, 2013. 03:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment