Joseph Poma

View Joseph Poma's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Has Carl Icahn's Herbalife Position Left Him Exposed? [View article]
    I'm sorry, do you know the exact statistics regarding who the end consumer is of the Herbalife products, because if not, your "non-product" claim is moot. Congratulations also on your weak attempt at mocking the Latin language, I was doubled over laughing hysterically for a solid minute.
    Oct 25 02:54 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Has Carl Icahn's Herbalife Position Left Him Exposed? [View article]
    That has got to be the WORST introduction to an article ever. Just because YOU have never seen someone use or mention an F-1 shake does not mean it doesn't have a strong consumer base. If that were the case, I don't see people using or discussing their use of Depends adult diapers, so therefore the stock of the company making that one product should probably be shorted.

Look, I read both the long and short articles for HLF because I believe the story is interesting. I don't care either way what happens, I'm long both puts and calls. Do I think the company is a pyramid scheme, sure. Is it possible that the "members" are also consumers, I don't see why not. I don't know the full inside details, nor have I interviewed a significant number of individual representatives to draw a meaningful conclusion so I will not sit here and debate who is right and who is wrong because ultimately, without information, it boils down to a moral disagreement.

Maybe it's the logic teacher in me, but you do a disservice to your credibility when you start any conversation with a logical fallacy (Argumentum Ad Ignorantiam).
    Oct 25 10:57 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • All Hell Could Break Loose For Herbalife Any Day [View article]
    My mistake for thinking you held yourself to a higher standard. I've made a mental note to disregard anything you have to say.
    Oct 22 10:56 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • All Hell Could Break Loose For Herbalife Any Day [View article]
    Author, you comment (read as ridicule) on the CEO's inability to maintain a professional appearance in front of crowds, but then you go ahead and argue with those who comment when their opinions differ. Please, tell me now who is the unprofessional here?

As for my position on HLF, both Long and Short via Puts and calls, so IDGAF which way it moves when it inevitably does.
    Oct 22 10:28 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google, Facebook reach display ad deal [View news story]
    This seems to me that Google is admitting that FB is superior to Google +. But then again, we all knew that!
    Oct 21 09:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google moves €8.8B to Bermuda to keep taxes low [View news story]
    It's kind of like those jerk drivers on the highway that drive ALL the way down the entrance ramp to the highway and then get on at the very end, cutting someone off. Is it a jerk move, absolutely...but it's not illegal, they're using all the space that was given to them.
    Oct 11 09:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook: Soon To Be A Shell Of Its Former Self, Like AOL [View article]
    Sava wins best reply to an SA article...ever!
    Oct 1 05:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook: Soon To Be A Shell Of Its Former Self, Like AOL [View article]
    Right, but just because someone doesn't click on an ad, doesn't mean they ultimately don't support the business... otherwise why would we have high way billboards?
    Oct 1 05:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: An Ethical Short [View article]
    As for your snide remark Gadget, If I use hypothetical assumptions then I declare them as such and support why I am making those assumptions.
    Sep 30 03:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: An Ethical Short [View article]
    Sorry, but you try to give yourself credibility by saying this is x% likely to happen, but you don't break down the information you used to derive your fictitious percentages. Now if you had said that 75% of companies with certain characteristics have experienced x,y and z troubles, then maybe I would have given value to your extrapolation. I have to tell kids all the time, don't make up numbers because you think they are right. Numbers are precise and if you are going to use them, you had better well back them up. You have no idea, you are clueless about the actual likelihood of an event occurring, so if you want to mask that, use phrases such as "I believe it is likely" etc., but certainly don't belittle the value of numbers or act as though you are some actuarial savant.
    Sep 30 03:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: An Ethical Short [View article]
    I started reading your article and was initially impressed. But being a math teacher, as soon as you used hypothetical, and might I add, completely arbitrary, percentages, you immediately discredit your reliability. Why do you believe there is a 70% chance of significant changes to accounting. Why not 68% or 71%?

You have proven yourself to be just another bear, or maybe lemming the way you all jump off the cliff with Ackman. You write articles and post on Twitter because you have nothing left. You are willing to sacrifice your reputation (or what is left of it) for a bad trade. Know when to admit defeat.
    Sep 30 11:11 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook: Soon To Be A Shell Of Its Former Self, Like AOL [View article]
    It's not all about "buying what is advertised". As a small business owner, I advertise my business on FB and the results are convincing. Sometimes it's not about selling your product but creating awareness.
    Sep 28 12:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook: Soon To Be A Shell Of Its Former Self, Like AOL [View article]
    Touche, but you know what I'm saying.
    Sep 26 01:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook: Soon To Be A Shell Of Its Former Self, Like AOL [View article]
    CB radio fad? You mean to tell me there were over a BILLION global users of CB radio's at any point in time? Was a user ever able to share their pictures, videos, birthdays, event information, likes and dislikes etc. all over a CB radio?! hmm.. Maybe I must have gotten the knock off brand then because my CB couldn't do any of that!
    Sep 26 12:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook: Soon To Be A Shell Of Its Former Self, Like AOL [View article]
    Wow... did you really just say this???
    Sep 26 09:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment